The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
good Bye For Now Mirage

Quote:
Wednesday, May 26
Howdy folks,

Do you hear that in the distance? The fat lady belting out the final verse? The cows trudging home after a long day in the field? Yup - it's definitely there... faint murmurings, but growing more definite with each passing moment... yeah... the volume is assuredly increasing... in fact, it's not in the distance anymore...

So, this is The End - although not Le Grand Finale. I'm not sure if Mirage will ever have one of those or not - but for all intents and purposes, as I type this, all the "T"s have been crossed and all the "I"s are dotted and Mirage Publishing, as it has existed for the past six years or so, is being put to bed. "Tales of the TMNT" volume two #70, the final issue of our (final?) regularly published series, arrived at our hallowed halls yesterday. With any luck, it will be in comic shops today - or at least in the next week or two - I can't really say since we've never gotten the book into every shop on the same week with any issue for whatever reason. But I digress, and it is bedtime after all, so let's move on. There's miles to go before we sleep... or at least a few more paragraphs.

So what does the future hold? Truth is, we don't know. Peter Laird did maintain the right to print up to 18 TMNT comics (set in the Mirage universe) per year, so at some point he may decide to dive back into the turbulent waters of the small press comics industry and Mirage will resume publishing a regular Turtles comic. Key word in that sentence being "may," since Peter is still decompressing from the past 25 years of cah-razee TMNT bidness and isn't exactly sure what he wants to do in the future. Thus only time will tell what will become of Mirage and its relationship with the Turtles via the funny book world. Regarding TMNT Volume Four, our totally irregularly published and self-distributed book, there is no time table for when new issues may begin to appear, but it's possible that Peter may return to it at some point.

So all hope is not lost (if you've been hoping for more Mirage Studios TMNT comics, that is) - but due to the nature of things, I can't tell you whassup, because we simply don't know at this time. So stay tooned, true believers - hopefully we'll have news for you some sunny day.

I can tell you that this web site will remain online for the foreseeable future, with infrequent updates of the old comic synopses linked via the Back Issue Bins. Most of the Mirage stuff is up now, and I'll be adding what I can as time permits. I'll only be working here one day per week from now on, so replies to e-mail will be much slower than in the past.

Well, the fat lady has reached the final crescendo of the last verse of this tune and the cows have all settled into their feedbags and are making preparations for their well deserved nap - it's time to be going. Until we see you again, we once again want to thank you for the 25 years of support, it is very much appreciated, more than words can express. While things are going to be very slow and sleepy around here, we hope you'll join us if/when things get rolling again. Until that time, take care and rock on.

Cheers!
Dan
You know it's odd, until now nothings really hit me.
But Dan's last letter did, it brought tears to my eyes a little bit.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Well, Mirage, in the words of Bas Rutten, "God speed and party on!"
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
You know there's one thing I don't understand about this whole situation. Mirage has free reign to publish more then a years worth the comics and they don't do so because Laird doesn't want to. Well why does Laird have to want to do it? If he wants to put turtles behind him why can't he pass the buck off to someone else at Mirage and let them run it? Would it be that horrible if someone else was at least in charge of getting the comics made every month?

Publishing cost is the only issue I see here with that but they could print less of them then usual. Plus charging 10 dollars an issue is pretty steep anyways. If they printed what was pre-ordered and maybe a few extra they wouldn't lose money.

I'm no business man but that's my two cents. It's a sad state of affairs either way. Mirage you will be missed.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You know there's one thing I don't understand about this whole situation. Mirage has free reign to publish more then a years worth the comics and they don't do so because Laird doesn't want to. Well why does Laird have to want to do it? If he wants to put turtles behind him why can't he pass the buck off to someone else at Mirage and let them run it? Would it be that horrible if someone else was at least in charge of getting the comics made every month?

Publishing cost is the only issue I see here with that but they could print less of them then usual. Plus charging 10 dollars an issue is pretty steep anyways. If they printed what was pre-ordered and maybe a few extra they wouldn't lose money.

I'm no business man but that's my two cents. It's a sad state of affairs either way. Mirage you will be missed.
I believe the reasoning is that despite having been able to sell the Turtles as a whole to Nickelodeon and thus was able to let go of them in that regard, he still has a controlling need for anything that comes out of Mirage. So there's no way he could do it without being involved.

And I also believe that Peter/Mirage couldn't figure out how not to lose money on the book no matter what scheme you cooked up.

The other factor is that the books don't create themselves, and you can't expect someone else to create them for free. You have to make up for more than just printing costs with the books you sell.

I think people really need to just accept that there will very likely be no more TMNT comics from Mirage. It's sad, yes, but not the end of the world.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Very sad but remember people TMNT is not over! This is just a new life for them thats all. Mirage will be missed.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
Very sad but remember people TMNT is not over!
Exactly. It was the only thing under the mirage banner that was worth something and now it's gone. I'm not surprised.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Exactly. It was the only thing under the mirage banner that was worth something and now it's gone. I'm not surprised.
Yeah I mean change sometimes can be a very good thing. But everyone is so used to Mirage. If you read Peter's last blog post you can see that. Tmnt is now gonna be in fresh hands now and it will live on.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
But to what degree will they be the familiar foursome we've grown to love?

With a corporate committee in full-reign charge of them, the Turtles we know may never be again. Sure, they may resemble the old toon Turtles, but that means possibly never seeing the mature Turtles we've been following in the comics.

I'm sure I'll sporadically pick up some Nick Turtle stuff when it hits, but I only watched 2K3 on Saturdays when I was awake to, was getting ready for work, or when it was on Cartoon Network.

The Turtles have been a very special part of my life since I was 4.5, and to never see them as adults would be a rather melancholy situation.

I hope whoever, if anyone, is looking into the comic license of the Turtles, will continue on with the Mirage tradition and not cater solely to the kids.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
Mutated Turtle
Stone Warrior
 
Mutated Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nope.avi
Posts: 825
That is depressing. *sad music*.

But then again, Mirage wouldn't last forever, it wasn't a rich company; and I read somewhere that Mirage didn't even have many employees. Every good thing must come to an end. And since Viacom bought the Heroes In A Halfshell (TMNT), Mirage is an even less richer company, until they do a new TMNT comic, a new comic of something else, or something completely and entirely new. May Mirage and the Heroes In A Halfshell rest in peice. I say, Heroes In A Halfshell rest in peice, because Viacom will ruin TMNT. Goodbye Mirage, you will be greatly missed. . "This is the way Mirage ends." And now, the Mirage Studios building will be nothing but desolate, it will nothing more than Dust and Echoes. R.I.P Mirage Studios 1984-2010.

T'is a sad day... and there are those who said this day would never come, what are they to say now?...Nothing... goodbye Mirage...Goodbye...Forever?... We all hope it's not for forever, but if it is, then we salute you,Mirage. You made one of the greatest franchises, and then sold it to a company, that company, ruins everything they can get thier hands on. Dare I say it...that company... is...VIACOM.If this really is the end, then, Mirage has a been around for a great 25 years. Hopefully they will stay around for at least 25 more years.

I'll say it again, you will be greatly missed, Mirage.

This thread needs to be stickied, everyone shuold probably know the fate of Mirage Studios.

Last edited by Mutated Turtle; 05-27-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Even More Intensity
Mutated Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist
 
BoggleKng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,224
Alas, TMNT will live on.. Have to give much props to those folks who were in and out the Mirage doors over the years and those who stuck around until the end. Great memories came out of there. Thanks!!
__________________
You guys mind telling me what you're doing to my little green pal over there, hm? -Casey Jones, TMNT movie...
BoggleKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
To be brutally honest, I said my "good byes" to Mirage back in January.

Everything they've released since then have just been "post-humous publications" in my eyes.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Mutated Turtle
Stone Warrior
 
Mutated Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nope.avi
Posts: 825
I doubt Mirage will do anything new, but, they're gone; done with; over. Until they do.
Mutated Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
I'm not saying goodbye, because while they may cease to function as a company... they'll always be there in spirit.

Mirage, this is for you...

__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
But to what degree will they be the familiar foursome we've grown to love?

With a corporate committee in full-reign charge of them, the Turtles we know may never be again. Sure, they may resemble the old toon Turtles, but that means possibly never seeing the mature Turtles we've been following in the comics.

I'm sure I'll sporadically pick up some Nick Turtle stuff when it hits, but I only watched 2K3 on Saturdays when I was awake to, was getting ready for work, or when it was on Cartoon Network.

The Turtles have been a very special part of my life since I was 4.5, and to never see them as adults would be a rather melancholy situation.

I hope whoever, if anyone, is looking into the comic license of the Turtles, will continue on with the Mirage tradition and not cater solely to the kids.
If the Turtles stayed where they were, longtime fans would complain that Laird was butchering them or something. Now that they're in new hands, longtime fans will complain that they're different.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
If the Turtles stayed where they were, longtime fans would complain that Laird was butchering them or something. Now that they're in new hands, longtime fans will complain that they're different.
Yeah, cant please everyone. But this was best for everyone.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #16
azrael
Mad Scientist
 
azrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: loganville, ga
Posts: 1,362
I am ready for new heads. Peter seemed like he wanted to kill it. He may have lovED it but he with a moto like "this is for me, not for you." To me when I read something like that I feel like WOW we paid him for tmnt merch and he does what to think us for it? Says F-OFF DONT LIKE ME OR MY BOOK DONT BUY IT.... I miss the good old days.
________
HERBALAIRE VAPORIZER

Last edited by azrael; 08-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,381
To be fair, the TMNT fans did just step all over him despite all the good he's done, we should learn to finally stop being all fussy and just accept the good given to us because Laird deserves the accolades for sticking to his guns all these years

Life isnt about money, it's about realizing how great creativity is, and Laird had tons of creativity to show. It alarms me that, despite being brought together by joyous creativity and one man bringing a dead franchise back from absolutely nothing with the aid of other equally gifted people, a so called fan community can't get behind him one iowta no matter what he does because he likes doing things outside of the flock of sheep.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
To be fair, the TMNT fans did just step all over him despite all the good he's done, we should learn to finally stop being all fussy and just accept the good given to us because Laird deserves the accolades for sticking to his guns all these years

Life isnt about money, it's about realizing how great creativity is, and Laird had tons of creativity to show. It alarms me that, despite being brought together by joyous creativity and one man bringing a dead franchise back from absolutely nothing with the aid of other equally gifted people, a so called fan community can't get behind him one iowta no matter what he does because he likes doing things outside of the flock of sheep.
I agree. No matter what you didnt like about what he has done, the man deserves respect. He, along with Kevin, created a franchise that changed my life. And im sure changed alot of other peoples.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #19
sorrenmj
Random Punk
 
sorrenmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 28
Conclusion

From Mirage website:

September, 2021
Mirage Studios sold the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles intellectual property to Viacom/Nickelodeon in October 2009 and, after winding down business affairs over the last dozen years, the four Mirage corporations (Mirage Studios, Inc., Mirage Licensing, Inc., Mirage Publishing, Inc., and Mirage Management, Inc.) were dissolved in 2021. Mirage is no longer conducting any merchandise sales, either directly through this site or via eBay as of September 19th, 2021.
This site will no longer be updated and is being maintained primarily as an archival resource related to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics published by Mirage between the years 1984 and 2010.
While Mirage has gone out of existence, thanks to you, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will live on forever. Thank you all for your years of support. It has been a pleasure sharing the Turtles’ story and universe with you.
sorrenmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #20
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Mirage <3.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.