The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Why do people buy comics but not read them?

For years, I've always come across people saying things like, "Yeah I bought this comic series a few years ago, its still sitting unread in my desk somewhere. I have to actually sit down and read it someday."

or

"I bought these issues a couple months ago, I actually forgot I even had them. I'll have to flip through them."

etc.

Why do people buy comics, seemingly place them aside for safe-keeping, but then never actually read them?

Am I the only one who reads whatever comic I get immediately when I get home, or at least in the same day unless I'm really busy?

Why do people buy comics and then not read them for YEARS? Do people forget they have them or something? And isn't it a waste of money?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
i'm guilty of that. i bought comics in the past but never fully read them all the way through. i guess it depends on the person. it's not really a waste of money if u do intend to read them at some point, or are a collector.
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
So then what is the point of buying comics to have them sit there in a stack or whatever? I understand some people have ADD, but that doesn't apply to everyone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
TONS of the collector market doesn't read books because of fear of damage, so thats ones reason. And for those people, no, it isnt a waste of money because of the investment factor.

If someone bought a copy of Action #1 for the 5 cent cover price and never read it till today, it wouldnt be a waste of money, it would be the smartest move that person ever made. Action #1 is an extreme example, but you get my drift.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
I got a small difference ...I buy the comics and use to wait 3-4 months for read a small lot in one day.... just a few comics are too short for me! so I wait for a small mountain of comics!!
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
Well when I first started collecting, sometimes I'd order 50 dollars worth of comics at once. So there'd be no way I would read them all in one day, and then I'd just never get around to reading the issues I got for completionists sake (like some of the non-canon Volume 1 stuff).
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I do this on a weekly basis. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read all of my weekly haul in one go, so I put them somewhere for when I'm ready. Then...inevitably, I forget they're there.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Some times I'll get a trade or a comic with the intention of reading it some time down the road when I'm bored. "Rainy day" and all that.

With Turtles, I picked up trades of material I didn't own, not so much because I wanted to read them that very second, but because I knew that if I didn't get them right THEN, then they'd disappear in a week and I'd have to pay $200 bucks on eBay if I ever wanted to read them later.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I like to read my comics the moment I get them.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist
 
BoggleKng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,224
There are comics I purchase to read and comics I purchase to collect and never read.
__________________
You guys mind telling me what you're doing to my little green pal over there, hm? -Casey Jones, TMNT movie...
BoggleKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
jaymq
Hench Mutant
 
jaymq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 435
I always read the stuff I get for full price. But I also don't get much. My list consists of 'Watchblade', 'The Darkness', 'Usagi Yojimbo' and until recently 'Tales of the TMNT' and other TMNT related comics.

I do occasionally get other stuff tho, I picked up some Age of Reptiles comics last month 'cause I am big on dinosaurs and Beasts of Burden 'cause the art looked absolutely gorgeous, (the story was pretty awesome too after reading it). Recommend it to most adult readers (it's not a kid's comic). And is published by Dark Horse.

Got a Ghostbusters one shot lately as well that I read and enjoyed.

Among other things.

If it's stuff from the 25cents (or similar) 'we want to get rid of' bin or something, I may not always read them.
__________________
Nom
jaymq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do people buy comics and then not read them for YEARS? Do people forget they have them or something? And isn't it a waste of money?
I completely understand your question and your point you are making but I would like to ask, just as devil's advocate... Why does it matter to you how I spend my money? I find that people are more concerned about how my money is spent... If I buy $1,000 worth of comics just to set them on fire it should not concern you. It was my money, and I choose to do with it what I wanted... If I don't want to read the books why is of concern to you?

It's like asking P. Diddy why he would buy a bottle of Crystal just to pour it out...

People do whatever they want with their money, some use it to wipe their butt.... As sad as it is, comics are held onto for various reasons, some greedy, some collectors, some are just kids reading a good story... Me, I like to read them and then put them away...

Just my 2 cents...

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
I think the longest time I sat on a TMNT comic (or three) was for about two years - I had the first three issues of the Moon Eyes Archie comics saga, and I didn't want to read them until I got the final one. I must say that it was pretty awesome, and well worth the wait.

Its happened a few times in various series that i've collected - I don't want to carry on until I can find said missing issue(s). And that one was, I do believe, the longest.
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
TuЯco
Foot Soldier
 
TuЯco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ny away from the city.
Posts: 108
that happens to me somtimes. like i used to get grim jack from a used bookstore. i read like two issues of it and really liked it so i bought like 20 more. but i only read like 5 of them.

Why do people buy comics and then not read them for YEARS? Do people forget they have them or something? And isn't it a waste of money?

becuz of time and a little bit of lazyness. but thats just me.
when i was younger i got overwelmed when i bought like 50 archie comics. i didnt read all of them and still havent today. that might just be me though.
__________________
TuЯco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Some times I'll buy a big lot of comics or several volumes of a series that I want to read completely, but after a few dozen issues I get kind of burnt out and take a break from said series by moving onto another one. Doesn't mean I'm *not* going to read those other comics I bought, I'm just not going to read them right then and there.

I don't think there's anything all too strange about that.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For years, I've always come across people saying things like, "Yeah I bought this comic series a few years ago, its still sitting unread in my desk somewhere. I have to actually sit down and read it someday."

or

"I bought these issues a couple months ago, I actually forgot I even had them. I'll have to flip through them."

etc.

Why do people buy comics, seemingly place them aside for safe-keeping, but then never actually read them?

Am I the only one who reads whatever comic I get immediately when I get home, or at least in the same day unless I'm really busy?

Why do people buy comics and then not read them for YEARS? Do people forget they have them or something? And isn't it a waste of money?

I get really busy, don't always get to all of the comics right away, and then they get stacked away for months/years at a time until I come across them again. Then (usually) they get read.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #17
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I collect and when you do that you often do bulk orders of many comics at once. I don't have time to read them and then I usually forget about them. Since I don't store my comics in my apartment, no room, I usually don't get around to reading them. I have the entire 80s run of Moon Knight to read still. I usually read trades and collect individual issues. I buy trades online cause I can keep those at my house on my book shelf but single issues would just get messy. I only buy single issues of stuff I can't get collected, except turtles where I bought everything even trades. It's also easier to travel with books as opposed to tons of single issues. I typically hate the action being broke up by ads as well. Turtles and the trades I've been reading have spoiled me in that regard.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
psychoandy
Hench Mutant
 
psychoandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: http://www.PsychoAndy.com
Posts: 273
I own a comic store, and there are a million reasons that people collect comics. We have one guy who will buy any comic book that has Dr. Doom on the cover, just because he really likes the character. We have some people who want to read the entire Batman-family of titles, and absolutely nothing else. Not even tie-ins and crossovers.

And there are many people who buy comics with the hopes that someday the comics will be their retirement fund.

I, personally, read comics for the stories and to follow particular characters. If it's a story or a character I'm into, I'll stick with it. However, sometimes I'll pick up huge collections of stuff at a time knowing that I won't read it right away - I recently picked up about half of the Archie TMNT Adventures series from eBay. I'm waiting until I can get the other half before I sit down and read them. I've done the same thing with a lot of the older X-Men family titles; specifcally, X-Factor and Excalibur. I've got something like the first 80-some-odd issues of the original X-Factor run, but the series ran through issue 149. I *COULD* go ahead and read it right now, but I'm gonna wait until I can just take a week and blow through the entire series at once. Same thing with TMNT Adventures.

Sometimes, it just takes a while to collect the entire thing, you know?
__________________
psychoandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I'm guilty of it, but everying I haven't read I fully intend to read at some point.

I get tons of books, and I have about 6,000 in my collection, some of it in storage, so some things I haven't read because I don't have them right in front of me. That happened a lot when I was moving and had to pack stuff really quickly. With mini-series, I tend to wait until the conclusion comes out, then read the whole series at once. I usually get 20-40 books some months, so trying to keep up with a mini one issue at a time is impossible for me if I actually want to remember the plot.

Same goes for a lot of the series I have back issues of but a lot of holes, like Morrison's JLA or Johns's JSA. I have a bunch of single issues which I've read, but really I'm going to wait until I have the entire run, because I'm not missing that many and it's just easier that way.

Beyond that I work between 30-50 hours a week a lot of the time, and most of my weekends are spent with wrestling, and a lot of my in-between time is spent resting/healing from those two things, studying for my personal trainer internship, cooking for two people, keeping the apt. clean, playing video games, watching movies and making sure my chick gets enough attention. Comics are important, but so are a lot of other things.

Now people who collect comics and almost never read them at all, I think is silly. I personally hate it, but to each their own.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Im guilty of it.Its like a ritual every 3 or so weeks of going and getting my new copy of the books im keeping up with. I read but I am also a collector. I may not read them right away, but I do eventually.

Besides, I gotta be in the mood. Sometimes, I dont wanna read all of them at once or I will be too busy with work and school to sit down and read.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.