The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,783
Was the 2k3 Donatello not that good a fighter?

You know speaking strictly of the cartoons, I always preferred original cartoon Donatello because not only did he save the day in almost every episode, (he was a far better leader than Leo was in the 80's show), but he was also an aggressive fighter.

2k3 Don wound up losing many fights or always wound up being the first one taken out, (like in the Battle Nexus), or so forth.

I never understood why they did that. Peter Laird has said many times that Donatello is his favorite turtle, so I'm surprised he didn't ask them what was up with having Donny take the fall so many times.

Its a small nitpick, but I'm sure some of you have noticed this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
It's hard to judge because in 90% of the fights they were in he was trying to do something tech related and not focused completely on fighting. I will say however when he's had to go it solo he has kicked some serious ass and I also think in the big foot fight on the roof in Shredder Strikes part 2 he was kicking the most butt. Of all his brothers they did seem to paint him as the weakest fighter but I think SAINW also painted him as the strongest fighter and leader if the need arose. He was in more danger then the other 3 turtles during that whole arc.

Don is a funny character because I always feel like he does the most of all the turtles. I feel like if he wasn't there in many situations the others would have died. There's not many situations where I could say that about the other turtles.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
Donatello is more a scientist then a fighter he uses brains instead of brawn. But if it wasn't for him the others probably would never have defeated Shredder and the rest of the the baddies that are out there. Don by far i think is best of them all.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I don't think Don's a weak fighter by any means. If the need arises, Don will fight just as furiously as his brothers would fight. People just assume Don is a weak fighter because he's the scientist and seems like a pacifist by nature. However, I feel it's the opposite. He may be a pacifist by nature, but he can fight just as well as his brothers if he needs to.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Lynn
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 269
Isn't he supposed to be more of a pacifist? Perhaps that's the reason they don't want him to be as battle-ready.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator
 
Jo Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Authority On All Things Don
Posts: 5,190
There are a couple of good points in here.

In my opinion, Don was often preoccupied with thinking. Strategizing. Doing something techie, which he did often in fights.

Also, I think that leads into the known fact that he is naturally pacifistic, and therefore will go more towards those other options (gadgets, electronics, taking down a machine/robot withOUT just beating it up and destroying it) before he completely lets loose in a fight.

That is not to say that he can't or won't fight just as furiously as any of his brothers, because he will and does. He just goes through a process to get there first.
__________________
Jo Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
XERO
Hybrid Theorist
 
XERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8,182
Donatello is a lousy fighter when it's competition based.

But if it's a means of survival and a fight to the death, that's when he really shines. Just check him out when he was fighting the Elite in The Shredder Strikes Back, part 2 or when they fought the Shredder in the Return to New York saga.

He's like Wu-Tang: Ain't nuthin' to f*ck with.
__________________

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
why does everyone keep saying this? Donatello never never came across as a weak fighter in the 2k3 show. Check him out in Cousin Sid when he takes out that bad guy in the barn and punches his lights out after he already subdued him. I think he is a better fighter than Mikey becuase I've noticed during sparring he always takes him out, and in battle he ushaully is the one to save him. Thing is I rarely see him fail at anything combat wise, he seems like a very solid and effective fighter.

I also would like to point out that one of the reasons Donatello in the OT came across as such an aggressive fighter is that he had the most usable weapon writing wise in the OT. It wasn't a stabbing weapon like Leonardo's (and potenticially Raphael's) weapon, and it wasn't a the oh so evil nunchucks like Mike's, or a useless in physical contact combat as the grappling hook. Donatello's weapon could have full physical contact with out it appearing so violent in the OT. Which is why I believe the writers where able to show him fight as much as he did.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
You know I always wondered why he was taken out of the Battle Nexus so early while almost everyon else made it to like the last 16 competitors. But Benvenuto brings up a good point, it seemed to me like he really didn't feel like the Brawl was all that important, as opposed to Leo, Raph, or Mikey who wanted to prove they were superior fighters. Donnie whooped ass in the SHredder strikes and Strikes back. He is more cunning than the rest, using whatever is in his environment to disable( and sometimes incapacitate) opponents. If the TMNT were ever to fight in a tool shed or barn in a free for all it's be Donnie winning by a landslide.
Physicallyyes, he was the weakest, but in terms of skill and fighting, it's a bit hard to sayconsidereing they all trained in the art of ninjitsu for more than 15 years.
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
XERO
Hybrid Theorist
 
XERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8,182
I never said he was weak.

I said he was 'lousy'.
__________________

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
I think this is a bad asumption. If you guys remember in "The same as it never was." Don pretty much took down an empire on his own. I think that enough said.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I think this is a bad asumption. If you guys remember in "The same as it never was." Don pretty much took down an empire on his own. I think that enough said.
Yes but he did it using not only his ninja skill but the environment around him as well as his cunning, something his three brothers evidently lack.
As for Ben I know you didn't say it but it was a point that I wanted to add.
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.