The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
NinjaTurtle01
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
I'm having XTREME DESIGN FX make a Donatello..

I live about an hour from "Xtreme Design FX" studio, which as you all know, they build great TMNT movie style heads and a full costume. Since the full costume mold is no longer perfect, I had an idea.

I talked to Lance and asked him what parts of the costume mold was still in good shape. He said the hands, legs (from the knee, down to the foot), heads, neck and shell are in great shape. The upper torso, bicep and fore arm area is ruined, as well as the upper legs. Lance is building me a Donatello head (with movie 1 paint job "spots"), a pair of hands, a pair of lower legs and a custom neck piece to hide my skin. I'm going to wear all this with a trench coat, back pack and a fedora hat.

I should have it all in a few weeks, in plenty of time before Halloween. I'll show everyone when it is all put together.
NinjaTurtle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Damn, that's a lot of money for a one-time use Halloween costume. Badass, yes, but expensive!
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
NinjaTurtle01
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
I'll use it for a lot more than just Halloween, Halloween is just where I'm going to debut this costume. It really isn't that expensive...the entire costume is expensive, I think he was selling them for between $4,000 - $7,000 at one time. With only buying the (1) head (2) hands (2) legs with feet (1) neck piece (2) leather wrist wraps (2) leather knee pads...I'm not even spending $1,000

This is a more affordable way to have an awesome Ninja Turtle movie style costume, just don't take off the trench coat! Since we never saw Donatello with a trench coat in the movies, we don't know if he would have carried his bo or not...but I'm going to fit a bo on the back of the coat anyway.
NinjaTurtle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Their heads aren't accurate at all, dude. I know the locality of them being in Spartanburg or whatever is a cool factor but its not worth it. There is a guy here on the board who has a thread right now in the fan works section who does better work.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Rise1184
Hench Mutant
 
Rise1184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Valley
Posts: 260
Awesome! Looking forward to the picture!!
__________________


"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist
 
BoggleKng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,224
I will be interested in seeing what they come up with..Good luck..
__________________
You guys mind telling me what you're doing to my little green pal over there, hm? -Casey Jones, TMNT movie...
BoggleKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I look forward to seeing pics. But I do gotta say these are not movie accurate. But they will make an excellent costume.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior
 
Bmaga123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I look forward to seeing pics. But I do gotta say these are not movie accurate. But they will make an excellent costume.
Agreed, the head shape looks very odd to me with the front being really wide but the side of the head not being long enough and the mouth doesnt come out nearly enough. Still a cool costume though
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
NinjaTurtle01
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Here's my feelings on xtremedesignFX "ninja turtle" costume/head stuff....

Most of us all grew up close to the same decades...we were kids in the 80's and/or early 90's. During that time the only ninja turtle costumes or masks available were either plastic with a rubber band, thin rubber masks that left the back of your head open, or probably the nicest ones were the Don Post masks.

I haven't researched "prop/costume" builders around the country like many of you have and I've always wanted a "professional looking" ninja turtle mask that didn't look like it came from a Halloween store or K-Mart. I wanted a turtle mask that would look worthy to be a stunt head used in a film/TV commercial quality. As soon as someone here finds a costume builder, another person finds a BETTER costume builder...then later on someone discovers a secret guy somewhere else who builds masks/costumes even better than the other 2 guys...and so on. Sooner or later you just have to STOP and go with who you trust or know.

I realize the difference in "movie accurate" turtle heads...shape, skin color, turtle spots, bandana length, movie:1 movie:2 movie:3...etc. I think the guy (Erik Porn) that's building that movie 1 RAPHAEL head is doing an amazing job, and I can tell that it is definatley looking like a Jim Henson original Raphael head...but I can't spend $2,000 on a mask. The guys at xtremedesign build ninja turtle heads better than anything you'll ever find in a Wal-Mart or Halloween store. People will see my mask and say, "Man, where did you get that, it looks real." Xtremedesign "turtle heads" are certainly worth the $250 they charge. I'm sure that if I commissioned them to build a "Jim Henson movie 1" style head of Donatello, and I supplied them with tons of pictures of Donatello's head...I'm sure they could do it just as well as anybody else. But I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars in a commission for a head sculpt when, in my opinion, the turtle heads they produce currently look good enough to me. I did make some specific requests on the mask...I want them to color match the shade of purple to "movie:1" Donatello as much as possible...a good medium purple. Also I requested a skin color paint job with "turtle spots".

Either way, this mask will be better than the Don Post masks that I have in my collection. I have other hobbies that take more of my money (restoring classic TV show vehicles) I'm currently finishing up my "A-Team" van. So if "ninja turtles" was my only hobby, then I'd probably sink some serious money into a "movie quality/accurate" full costume by some of the guys from this board...but remember, I just found this forum about a week ago!

Thanks for all the response with the Donatello costume pieces...I'll throw some pics up when I get it all together...
NinjaTurtle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle01 View Post
!

Thanks for all the response with the Donatello costume pieces...I'll throw some pics up when I get it all together...
I very much look forward to seeing some pics.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Lynn
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 269
Good luck!
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
agliarept
Hench Mutant
 
agliarept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 475
dang this is the like the 5th person doing a full turtle costume from professionals. pretty crazy its all happening on the same time lol. everyone wants to be a turtle for halloween lol.
agliarept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Sounds like an awesome idea. Can't wait to see pics.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Very nice, I cant wait to see it I have been following CustomPropSculptorGuy's thread and saw the other rapheal head that someone had commissioned. I'd love to have a turtle suit but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I would like a Raph head once CustomPropSculptorGuy has them available tho =)
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
KittenBunny
Foot Soldier
 
KittenBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tuna can. Shud be a luxurious Tiger Kitten Bunny Pad- straight outta a '66 Vouge Italia Living Issue
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle01 View Post
Here's my feelings on xtremedesignFX "ninja turtle" costume/head stuff....

Either way, this mask will be better than the Don Post masks that I have in my collection.
Thanks for all the response with the Donatello costume pieces...I'll throw some pics up when I get it all together...
How much do these Don Post masks cost, and did they only come in raphael red? I cant find any for sale or any info on their worth.... also any thoughts on who the best customiser is that you have seen that has made full turtle suits?

KB xx
__________________
"a schnook with looks who can cook!" - Mikey
KittenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
raphfan84
Stone Warrior
 
raphfan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Winston-Salem NC.
Posts: 630
I think Xtremedesignfx does really good work and if you supply a pic of how you want the head to look im 100% positive they could do it. I live here in NC. and are looking into them doing a Raphael head for me to look like the Movie 1 Raph. Good luck with the costume def put pics up when done.
raphfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 673
Our good friend NinjaTurtle01 asked me to post some pictures of the finished costume. Here they are:






It turned out pretty cool, in my opinion.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
agliarept
Hench Mutant
 
agliarept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 475
that's a really nice costume. im glad it turned out well. was the body and mask a new sculpt the donny head reminds me of their raph mask. can you post more photos of the head? it looks very nice.
agliarept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
That is awesome! Only thing I could say is the fedora could be a bit bigger tho no one has heads the size of at TMNT so it would be impossible to find one unless it was custom made so your forgiven edit its actually pretty good fit just a little tall compared to the one Raph had in the movie I thinks =)

Very nice costume, just like the action figure =) congrats!

Last edited by twopinacoladas; 11-20-2010 at 12:14 AM.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 573
That is really cool, looks great and I love it!
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.