The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
TMNT v3 #1 Chicago Con Variant - Print Run

Does anyone know how many copies of this variant were printed? I'm trying to get a sense of how rare it is. MyComicShop.com is asking $30 for it...
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant
 
Peter Palmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 438
The variant for #3 was distributed at a show in New York, not Chicago. The number thrown around is 500 for a print run of the error variant. Be careful. Most people don't know the difference between the regular and the variant and will sometimes think the regular is the variant and sell it at a markup. If you've got a pic or a link, it'd help.
__________________
Peter Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
The variant for #3 was distributed at a show in New York, not Chicago. The number thrown around is 500 for a print run of the error variant. Be careful. Most people don't know the difference between the regular and the variant and will sometimes think the regular is the variant and sell it at a markup. If you've got a pic or a link, it'd help.
I'm talking about the Image Series #1's Chicago Con Variant.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=157071
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant
 
Peter Palmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 438
Whoops...my mistake. I saw v1 #3 when you wrote v3 #1. Awwwwwkwaaaard
__________________
Peter Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Rise1184
Hench Mutant
 
Rise1184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Valley
Posts: 260
Pretty rare. I have that issue, along with the complete Vol.3 run. I bought the set from a member here, and he told me it was rare. But you can buy it from comic shops, just as the one you found. You should get it if your collecting the entire set, but if your just interested in the series, then never mind.
__________________


"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
I bought it for $5 + shipping yesterday. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of Comic Book Price Guide value the thing has. eBay isn't the best way to determine that so I wondered if anyone knew the print run.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
I would not rely on any of the published price guides to determine the value of any TMNT book. Those books are horribly inaccurate when it comes to their TMNT listings. The value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it. eBay really is the best way to get an idea of a range for what the "value" of something might be. Most any price people from here will tell you is going to be based on eBay sales.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
I dunno, $30 seems ridiculously high for it to me. Which is the only price it's going for on eBay (and the auction is also from MyComicShop.com).

That said, it should be noted I'm not so big on "variant" covers anyway.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
I dunno, $30 seems ridiculously high for it to me. Which is the only price it's going for on eBay (and the auction is also from MyComicShop.com).

That said, it should be noted I'm not so big on "variant" covers anyway.
If you bought it for $5, that seems like a fair purchase. I'm not sure why you then need to know the "value" of it, or why it matters so much if you don't even care about variants.

If you're looking on eBay, though, you need to view the completed auctions and see what people are actually paying instead of what prices sellers are asking for.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Gary Carlson was nice enough to send me one from his collection for free. I'd been completely unsuccessful locating one to even have the opportunity to spend $30 on one for literally years... so if you see one, I'd say it's worth it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
Quote:
If you bought it for $5, that seems like a fair purchase. I'm not sure why you then need to know the "value" of it, or why it matters so much if you don't even care about variants.
I wanted to know the print run for a web database of such information, and the lack of available information on the internet about this particular variant is why I came to the 'drome forum members for help. My thinking being that if anyone was going to know, it'd be someone around here.

Now you can be sure why.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
I bought it for $5 + shipping yesterday. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of Comic Book Price Guide value the thing has. eBay isn't the best way to determine that so I wondered if anyone knew the print run.
Not sure about the print run, but I got mine about a month or two back for $8bucks, mint condition, on Amazon. I actually got it before finding the regular edition of #1!
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 698
Yep, I haven't tracked down the regular #1 either.

I lucked out on an auction today and got most of the last issues of the series, which leaves the first 10 or so issues and then I can read it. Bliss.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I ended up getting my reg. #1 through Mile High pretty cheap during one of their (frequent) sales! You can check 'em out @ http://www.milehighcomics.com and see if the code 40YEARS still works.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
DrVenkman
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 233
Mycomicshop sells them for $30. I sell them for $20 - free shipping. I'm the only other person on ebay with them besides my comic shop. $13.50 cheaper. well sell it to anyone here $15 directly
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Frank asked Erik what the print run was of this... Erik doesn't remember.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.