The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Guitar_Raph
Superhero musician
 
Guitar_Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,191
Coming Out of Their Shells 20th Anniversary

This season marks the 20th anniversary of when TMNT dropped the weapons & picked up musical instruments as Comin Out of Their Shells turns 20!

Anyone attend the shows or saw them on tv? Any special memories?

I first saw them on Larry King & grew my interest in seeing TMNT playing as a band.
__________________


Mikey drums with nunchucks!

Last edited by Guitar_Raph; 03-08-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Guitar_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Berserker
Thug
 
Berserker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 92
Despite being only 8 years old, I was too embarrassed to ask my parents to take me to this. Even then, I thought it was terribly cheesy.
________
STRAWBERRY COUGH

Last edited by Berserker; 02-20-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I went. Got a program too. Lookin' to sell though.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I wasn't able to go due to it being sold out in my area. I had to get the cassette tape a couple of years later. I got the feeling the concert was more about the spectacle of the show than the songs.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Berserker
Thug
 
Berserker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I got the feeling the concert was more about the spectacle of the show than the songs.
Of course it was. The songs are just fluff; it was like Sesame Street Live or any other bajillion live children's shows. The whole point for kids was the escapism of seeing real life cartoon characters in action. Unfortunately for the show, it was practically too goofy to be convincing, even for little kids.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but the Nostalgia Critic did a special on the show and how dumb it seems when you look back on it as an adult: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...ic/8124-cntmnt

Now, don't think I'm bashing it. Coming Out of Their Shells is definitely a curiosity for hardcore turtles fans and a part of what made Turtle Mania so wacky and over the top. A piece of pop culture history.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
I remember seeing them as a kid on Regis and Kathie Lee, and I was hoping they were promoting a new movie, but was dissapointed when I found out it was a concert. Even back then, as the hardcore TMNT tyke I was/am, I really didn't care much for them doing music and doing a concert, I wanted to see them kicking ass!

Has anyone watched the video of this show lately? I did a few weeks ago, and it would've been kinda fun to see live as a kid, but whenever Splinter or April were singing songs, I just know that as a kid, I would've just been like "What's this crap? A ballad by a rat and newsreporter? Where are the Turtles!"
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
The music was the best part.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I went. Even "snuck" down to the front row during the show.
Still have the tape somewhere in my apartment, I really should get around to ripping that to mp3 at some point.

Wow was that show god awful, and yet I loved EVERY single second.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
I would have loved to have gone to one of the shows but alas I was in Germany at the time. I heard that they DID eventually go to Europe but it was AFTER I had moved to the states....figures.

I saw them on oprah tho. All the kids in the neighborhood came to my place to watch it. And some friends of mine who were members of the fan club at the time had the concert (Behind the Shells I think) video itself. Splinter's song "Skipping Stones" is definatly a fave of mine.

About maybe 8 years ago I found a tape cassett of the Coots tour at a dollar store. I still play it on occasion but I have my fave TMNT songs on my Mp3 player now. *lol*
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Rise1184
Hench Mutant
 
Rise1184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Valley
Posts: 260
Wow, 20 already? This was my very first concert.. I believe I was 6.. Such an AMAZING experience!! I still have it on VHS!!
__________________


"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Ninja Rap

Did they perform the "Ninja Rap" live?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Voidoid
Stone Warrior
 
Voidoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 625
Haha yeah the show was terrible but I play "pizza power" everyday religiously, that song is the only good thing that came out of coming out of their shells.
Voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I came to the conclusion the other day that there Coming Out Of Their Shells & Gettin' Down In Your Town have nothing to do with Turtle Tunes & We Wish You A Turtle Christmas except for the subject matter (TMNT) & genre (musical). As far as I've noticed, they shared no crew members at all. Anyone care to confirm or deny this?
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
sagelwwa
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16
I have the VHS and audio tape, but my best memory of this is all the Pizza Hut promotional stuff. Pizza Hut was like Turtle heaven for awhile there!!
sagelwwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
KittenBunny
Foot Soldier
 
KittenBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tuna can. Shud be a luxurious Tiger Kitten Bunny Pad- straight outta a '66 Vouge Italia Living Issue
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
I went. Got a program too. Lookin' to sell though.
Hello! I'd be interested in buying the program... do you have some pix you can post of it? whats its condition like? PM me if you want

I love the 'coming out of our shells' turtle's with their funky get up, its classic!

xx kb
__________________
"a schnook with looks who can cook!" - Mikey
KittenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Even as a kid I thought this idea was retarded. My parents bought me the cassette tape and I listened to it like 2 or 3 times before never touching it again. Someone bought me a Making Of VHS too but I never saw the full show. That tape alone was enough to keep me from wanting to go.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I've never seen the official program, but I do have some scans of the official tour guide!








I wonder who thought this idea up? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... Rock Stars?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenBunny View Post
Hello! I'd be interested in buying the program... do you have some pix you can post of it? whats its condition like? PM me if you want

I love the 'coming out of our shells' turtle's with their funky get up, its classic!

xx kb

Let me assure you that it isn't the same as the Pizza Hut tour guide thing. It's taller, thicker and includes tons of technical details/credits regarding the show. There probably aren't many in circulation since they were horribly expensive (somewhere from $10-15 [back in 1990, that was a fortune!]).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Even as a kid I thought this idea was retarded.
Not gonna lie to ya, it was fairly pathetic. The music was pretty sweet, but the lyrics were corny (not the amusing kind either) and the stage show was embarassingly lame w/ suits that would make H.R. Puffnstuff die of embarassment. But, being one of those kids who usually tuned out lyrics anyway, I had no problem rockin' out to the tape every chance I got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I wonder who thought this idea up? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... Rock Stars?
I believe Bob Bejan orchestrated this stage show.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Not gonna lie to ya, it was fairly pathetic. The music was pretty sweet, but the lyrics were corny (not the amusing kind either) and the stage show was embarassingly lame w/ suits that would make H.R. Puffnstuff die of embarassment. But, being one of those kids who usually tuned out lyrics anyway, I had no problem rockin' out to the tape every chance I got.
I grew up listening to Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden, and a bunch of other metal bands so the lameness of it was even more apparent. My Dad was also in a metal band so I was around musicians all the time.

That's cool you were that into it though. When I was a kid I went to the Power Rangers live thing. I got all into that. Had a laser sword fight in the parking lot with my friend afterward. If I remember we had to scream to defeat the big bad guy.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by J 1982 View Post
Did they perform the "Ninja Rap" live?
Considering the fact that Ninja Rap wouldn't exist until the following year, I'm going with "no".
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.