The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,190
Did 2k3 come out too early?

I've thought about this before many times but it especially seems true now that the new Thundercats cartoon is coming out and the internet definitely seems excited about it.

While the OT technically came out in 1987, it was during the end and even in Turtles Forever they are called "1988" turtles, so this was pretty late in the 80s When the 2003 cartoon came out a lot of the original fans were in High School, sure theres a few older ones in college but the OT and the turtles definitely seem to be more of a 90s thing than 80s even if its technically between both. While 80s nostalgia has always been around it seem to really hit its peak during the mid 00's, and that was with earlier 80s stuff, which the turtles weren't. The 2k3 came out too soon for the original fans to take notice and because of that it seemed to get less press, heck the 2007 movie (well besides being a film) got more press and talked about because it was more of "the right time" even if it was only 4 years later. That didnt help the movie but the comedy centric trailers and it being CG didn't help it but thats an entirely different topic. I think all that extra hype from the original fans being older even if they weren't the target audience definitely helped Trasformers.

It also came out too early in the days of the internet, now most of us here are relatively tech savvy and likely even used the internet since the mid 90s. And while the internet was not an obscure thing in 2003, its definitely gotten a HUGE increase in numbers from people in recent years. Not to mention in 2003 broadband still wasn't as widespread and of course most importantly no youtube, blogs were not as big as they're now, NO social networks (Facebook/twitter). Theres a lot of interest in the new Thundercats show and I think both factors I posted played a huge part in it. Maybe if 2k3 had come out later, people would have been much more excited and that would have translated into more kids being excited about it. Of course theres going to be a new show coming out soon and we'll see if I'm correct with this or not by the time it airs, it'll be interesting to see if I was right or wrong.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I don't think you're right or wrong really, seems more of an opinion kinda thing. First you gotta think about what they were going for. Pete wasn't exactly looking to re-create that original toon boom, was he? He just wanted an honest, slightly darker show that took a bit from the comics. It wasn't overly funny, and had alot of action, it was very different from the OT. All things considered, it still did pretty damn well and ran on for a fairly long time. Definitely longer than most of the foxbox/4kids stuff between 03-08. So, too early for what, another phenomenon like there was back in the day? Maybe so, but I don't think it was intended to be that.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,190
Nah, I don't mean too early to be a phenomenon but too early to actually be noticed by people. I think it speaks a lot that the TMNT 2007 movie by the press and people was pretty much considered the "Return of the Turtles" after the OT. Its like no one even knew the 2k3 show existed. Similar reactions happened when Turtles Forever aired and when Nick bought the franchise, its as if the 2k3 show was not noticed by most people even if it ran for many years and over 100 episodes, it kinda remained on the "down low". In contrast the new Thundercats cartoon has sparked tons of interest/hype and press. like 2k3 it also seems very different from the original. Who knows how the new Thundercats cartoon may do but at least people are aware it exists before it even airs, while 2k3 aired mostly without being noticed by "regular folk". Power Ranges was/is kinda in the same boat, most people were not aware the show had continued running for 17 years since it started until Saban bought back the franchise last year and Nick started airing a new season this year.

For example, had 2k3 aired last year for the first time and a trailer had come out, tons of blogs would have picked the story up, the trailer would be all over youtube with tons of views and people posting comment about "OMG THE TURTLEZ R TOTALLY COOL IN THE NEW SHOW", it would be shared over twitter/facebook and people would be aware that a new turtles cartoon would be out. You made me realize I didn't word very well the original post and I don't want this to be come a "could 2k3 had started a fad if it had come out later", mostly that people were aware it existed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Well now that you've cleared that up, I suppose I agree. But I mean, maybe the same could be said for many other shows of the time. Sonic's show in the 90's was pretty popular but not as much the second time around. & Kirby, who's gaming franchise has thrived for years didn't see as much success as I would have expected either. The internet coverage definitely goes a long way as far as promoting these programs goes, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if had the show met that kind of publicity would it have not been well recieved? I imagine many people (not our kind of people of course) would have been swinging the "Where is 'Krane', 'Beebop' & Rocksteady?" stick around, as well as complaining excessively over the changes made to adapt a more comic based essence... We may very well be lucky for that. I don't honestly think the "casual fans" (of the OT) would've appreciated the show, I suspect they would've been giving it a bit of a bash. Dunno for sure, but that's my take on it. For people to like a 'different' TMNT, it can't just be a little darker, it needs to have the full-blown "Dark Knight" treatment. Violence, very very dark, PG-13 kinda stuff. Aside from something totally different, the average fan wants only the original formula.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
There was an almost 7 year gap between the end of the original series and the 2k3 series, so no, it didn't start too early.

The TMNT franchise was already in hibernation (besides Next Mutation), on TV for quite a while.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
Well, I'm just glad the 2K3 had a run and finished its story in the end. Other cartoons (Spectacular Spiderman, Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men Evolutions) weren't so lucky.

I do wonder why in BTTS they were trying to replicate the 2007 TMNT look though (it was obvious with their mask with pupils, April, Casey's all black gear, etc).
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)

Last edited by Avatar Yuffie; 03-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Yeah, the movie did show how people didn't even know the turtles were back in a new show. I mean despite Karai having been a major character in the series at the time... noone seemed to know who the hell she was in the movie.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar Yuffie View Post
I do wonder why in BTTS they were trying to replicate the 2007 TMNT look though (it was obvious with their mask with pupils, April, Casey's all black gear, etc).
It had to do with playmates. They wanted to continue using the TMNT toy molds (and try to capitalize on what little notoriety the film had left) so one of the big boys somewhere said "MAKE 'EM LOOK LIKE DA MOVIE!". Also they wanted less time/money to be put into the show & going to the style of TMNT simplified their designs, thus making them quicker to animate.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
In the beginning, I thought the show would be lucky to make it two seasons, and never imagined it would last more than 2 years. Needless to say, over 150 episodes and a feature length crossover movie was more success than I could have ever imagined.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Next Mutation came out like a year after the original cartoon ended, so I don't think the 4Kids cartoon came out too soon at all. Heck, look how quick Warner Bros. puts out newer animated shows like Young Justice just a few years after they cancelled Teen Titans.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There was an almost 7 year gap between the end of the original series and the 2k3 series, so no, it didn't start too early.

The TMNT franchise was already in hibernation (besides Next Mutation), on TV for quite a while.
And those 7 years felt like a pretty long time.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.