The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,779
So we're not really getting an, "original 80's series" vibe from Nick's TMNT it seems

As everyone has noticed by now, Nick's TMNT doesn't really seem like its channeling or being a homage to the original series at all.

The Turtles arms/leg bands are all brown rather than all colored, they do not have initials on their belts, and their look in general does not resemble the 80's cartoon. Even the logo looks more like the Mirage comics logo than anything else.

I think people were too quick to assume Nick wanted to make this series similar to the original one, using all old toon concepts.

At this point it really does not seem anything like an, "old school reboot" to me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Seems that people can come to the wrong conclusions when absolutely no real info exists from October 2009 to March 2011.

However, the reference to pizza in that once recent article does show that some widely-known elements of the OT will exist in Nick's TMNT.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,779
I do believe we'll be seeing the likes of Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, but not in the way the fans imagine them.

If they do appear I think they're going to be heavily altered or be different in some way. And not just being in CG either.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
I hope by "heavily altered" you mean, "Reminicient of their OTS1 appearances," where they were too strong to take head-on and had to be outwitted.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
TobTurn
Foot Soldier
 
TobTurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
An homage to the 80's would be cool, but I don't want it to be goofy as the actual series was. I want an actual villainous villain, not some complaining ninja. I want it to be serious too, and I'd like good fighting scens. And not to much pizza-jokes. Not more than once in an episode.
TobTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
Well from what the article had said it is going to be funnier kinda like the OT and have a lot more action as well.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I'd love to see some elements from the Archie comics thrown in, though I'm not holding out for it.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
ive said it before and ill say it again i think we are going to see just about ever elemete in this new toon, its going to be exciting and awesome!
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
The OT is fine on its own, but I'm incredibly happy the preview of the tmnt doesn't resemble the OT. Let's let the colored knee and elbow pads stay with the 80s/early 90s.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobTurn View Post
An homage to the 80's would be cool, but I don't want it to be goofy as the actual series was. I want an actual villainous villain, not some complaining ninja. I want it to be serious too, and I'd like good fighting scens. And not to much pizza-jokes. Not more than once in an episode.
If Nick's focusing more on the "teenage" aspect in this, I'm sure there'll be more than one pizza joke per episode.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
If Nick's focusing more on the "teenage" aspect in this, I'm sure there'll be more than one pizza joke per episode.
True statement.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Volvagia
Foot Soldier
 
Volvagia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
If Nick's focusing more on the "teenage" aspect in this, I'm sure there'll be more than one pizza joke per episode.
I just hope they don't go overboard with it like the OT did. It got old pretty fast.
Volvagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
The Turtles in their original published incarnation were dark and totally bad@$$.
That was my only complaint about the episodes of the original cartoon series, post the first 5 original episodes. There was still humor, but there was also action, use of weapons, and mild violence, in the first 5 episodes. If any influence from the original series is taken at all, in my own opinion, it should only be influence from those episodes. I like the idea of incorporating more aspects of the comics as well. The 2003 series started off pretty well with that, but then introduced a lot of unnecessary characters that I didn't care for (i.e. Hun). So it needs to be a combination of a lot of things from every incarnation (except "The Next Mutation"). Prior and well into the 25th anniversary there was a re-introduction to the original TMNT (comic version) in toy lines, I ate that up, and I miss the heck out of seeing them like that, or even the way they were in the original movie. Kids watch a lot of martial arts based shows these days; from Dragon Ball Z, to Avatar, to Power Rangers, etc. etc. All which have plenty of action/battle sequences. There are ways to go about creating action packed shows without "dumbing it down too much" or "making it too sugar coated". I think the world is a little more open minded than it was 20 some odd years ago. I am very excited that Rob Paulsen will be a part of the new series.
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
chad
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 245
From the art and watching the video I cannot see that much of the original cartoon. So I find it pretty exciting. they should take elements from Many universes so fans of every version can be pleased, the Mirage and Archie comics, 87 cartoon, some of the movies, 2K3 cartoon,

Last edited by chad; 03-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist
 
Ninja Tiptup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,451
I'm all for a mix of various interpretations but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm pleased to see they're not ignoring the Mirage roots for the franchise.

I'm hoping this TMNT series with have enough of the OT for people who only ever liked the OT not to hate it but also be a more serious story driven cartoon with humor that wont date it horribly. Though they'll probably never please the people who only like the OT because to them any other interpretation is either trying too hard to be edgy or not as entertaining and fun as the original. So any serious show is shot down and so is any other comedic one for simply not being the humor they enjoyed or being an imitation of it. People are funny that way, they don't like imitation but they also don't want a different interpretation.
__________________
It's weird to be normal, and it's normal to be weird.
Ninja Tiptup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Koi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
If Nick's focusing more on the "teenage" aspect in this, I'm sure there'll be more than one pizza joke per episode.
Teenagers aren't really like that though, and if you look at newer shows that focus more on "teenager" aspects; They act like teenagers, and go through teenager years and trials... Has nothing to do with pizza.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
ya i know lol. Pizza is just something teens eat, shoot everybody eats.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
Teenagers aren't really like that though, and if you look at newer shows that focus more on "teenager" aspects; They act like teenagers, and go through teenager years and trials... Has nothing to do with pizza.
No clue what you're talking about. Teenage boys, like I once was, are always hungry and pizza is especially welcome. Sure, it doesn't make for a good episode of Degrassi but it certainly works for something like TMNT.

Really, though, I'm guessing that the pizza obsession aspect would be more like the first movie. A few funny jokes about it were made here and there but it wouldn't be one pizza joke after another.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #19
TMNT4787
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 26
I don't know why when they announced they would be a 80's feel to the show that people thought or assumed the turtles would have a resemblance to the 80's show. To me I think what they meant was characters and setting.
__________________
There is only 3 types of people in this world.
People who can count and people who can't.
TMNT4787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
The only reason It reminded me of the OT is bc of the projected Pizza Humor and the bladed weapons, bc that to me is indicating robot foot. Nick can get away with a lot more by the turtles beating up robots than humans.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fred wolf series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.