The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
tmnt2513
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 77
Onto another toy question!!!

Does anyone know what type of schooling you'd have to go to...to become a person that designs and creates toys?...You know kinda like the 4 horsemen...I've always wondered if they had to take design or sculpturing classes...and what kind of school they had to go to...or rather chose to go to? Not so important is the next question...but I still feel the need to ask it...lol... do toy and figure molders...creators...make alot of money?... Hey come on ...show me da money...right?...well...err....you know what I mean...any help would be appreciatted!
- Lance
tmnt2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
BigThew
Stone Warrior
 
BigThew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 574
it isn't about schooling
it is about your skills
BigThew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:43 PM   #3
Stefano
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 762
well he means what classes or carrers do you do to get hired at a toy company
__________________
Leo: Your reign of terror is over Stockman!
Mike: have you been practicing that?
Leo: You like it?

Utrom: this says ritc sir, and its written in crayon sir!
Something wicked this way comes
Mr. Show is the best!
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
In most artist and design positions, they're more likely to care about your skills themselves than where you got them. However, schooling is a very good idea, if only to sharpen yourself and get yourself noticed. An art centered school would be a good idea.

Design and sculpture, basic art. Marketing and such wouldn't hurt either.

As for money, you aren't gonna get that high paying deal your first try, obviously. I'm really not sure of the stats on salaries, except that unless you get a good, solid gig, a steady income is unlikely.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
snackies
Thug
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 68
I actually looked into this before. You definately need some sort of degree.

The new york fashion institute of technology has a toy design program that is supposed to be really good. That's the only one I know of. Here's a link.

http://www.fitnyc.suny.edu/aspx/Cont...sign:ToyDesign

A graphic design program would be beneficial. My one friend is a graphic designer. You can tailor your classes to meet your needs.

An engineering degree would be really good. I've seen hasbro's website and time to time they are looking for mechanical engineers. I would look into ceramical engineering and materials science also. They are tough programs, but materials engineers are always in high demand and get paid very well.

That's my two cents.
snackies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:52 AM   #6
Metal Head
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Waverly,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 102
Snackies is right.... I'd go for some form of art based school where many mediums are taught......and some form of marketing/engineering degree wouldn't hurt either.

You definatly won't get rich in this line of work......but I imagine this line of work would be fun.

I have one friend who's tried to get hooked up with several companies to design toys and statues....and he always gets turned down......sad, because this guy has definate skills....and knows how to use them.
__________________
Brian AKA Metal Head
[email protected]
"COWABUNGA DUDES"!!!!!
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.