The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
Who was right Leo or Raph (City at War)

I'm re-watching City at War. As you know, at the time the Shredder was defeated causing the different gang factions...The Foot, The Purple Dragons, and the Mafia to fight over control of the city.

Leo's thinking is that after defeating the Shredder, it made things worst. It's caused more violence.

Raph's thinking is, its not our fight!

Leo think they should do something about it, Raph argues otherwise.

What are your thoughts on who was wrong or who was right?
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
They were both wrong about certain things. They made it their job to protect their city, their home, so by not stopping the war they weren't being the protectors they appointed themselves. However getting involved, at the level Leo was, only caused more violence and resulted in them almost getting killed several times. Had they gone in with a better plan they could have stopped it from behind the scenes. And not had a fight in the middle of the street with a giant robot where half the city could see them.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,214
Raph Raph Raph Raph Raph Raph!

I hated Leo those few episodes. Not only was he stupid to think all that was their fault, he didn't let one side win over the other.

If things were supposedley "better" before they whacked Shredder (with the Foot still in control of the underworld) why would Leo interfere by saving the lives of the mobsters? Why not just let the Foot win out? Why fight the foot if they're not even coming after you?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
I would have let all the bad guys kill each other and then pick up the pieces and finish off them.

Although when they were already IN the fight, Raph made some bone head decisions I didn't agree with. Leo made a bone head decision in trying to stop the bomb and trying to take on the whole foot by himself.

So at first I agreed with Raph, but while they were in it, I agreed with Leo...in the end it all worked out for them anyways.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
I think Leo should have listened to Splinter. He said the best thing to do is nothing. That was the beginning. At the end, Splinter convinced Raph he was being an idiot, and said Leo was right to follow his heart, even if others tell him not to. I guess Splinter's opinion changed once he heard everything that was going on.

I think Raph was right at the beginning and once Karai arrived in New York, I started to agree with Leo.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,214
Good points guys. Once Karai came into the picture and actually laid out a clear plan, then Leo was in the right and Raph was being very hard headed by not sticking around and helping out. But still, before all that... ugh.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo Mystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 904
Leo is very conscientious and tends to be compassionate towards the people who he upholds in protecting the city. The fact innocent people were getting caught in the crossfire of a gang war they inadvertly caused, to which he personally felt responsible for, weighed heavily on his heart. He wanted to fix things, make everything he did wrong right again, and that's why he wanted to get involved.

Raph, on the other hand, wasn't concerned about the war. It was of no consequence to him and he felt wasn't his business to get involved with. He figured the cops could handle it and the gangs would just take each other out. It didn't seem to bother him either that innocents were getting hurt and was quick to point out they did the city a favor by killing the Shredder. He called Leo crazy for even feeling any kind of guilt whatsoever.

I sided with Leo on the issue, but he was not without fault either. He acted somewhat implusively. He didn't have a well defined plan and he was kind of running blind for a while there. He really had no idea what to do. It was Karai who finally gave him insight.

Raph continued to be stubborn throughout, even when they had a real plan. Karai only became another huge thorn in his side and it made him resist that much harder. He stormed off when he'd had enough at Leo's insistence to join her, but I liked how at the end he unexpectedly came back after having a change of heart and he, and Splinter, was the "wild card" in their fight.

So neither were "wrong", but neither were "right" either. They both have very different ideals, but I also have heard they are two sides of the same coin. Just that Leo is the more disciplined and self-controlled of the two.
__________________

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
Raphael was right in terms how what are on different groups of villains' agendas, like a turf war, doesn't put the turtles at fault and that participating might just make it worse; Leonardo was right in terms of believing it was wrong to let innocent people get caught in the crossfire.
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
I think they should have let the bad guys fight each other out. They are doing the turtles a favor..why jump in and fight when they are doing it for you?

Also I could see Raph's POV a little bit when Karai came in. How can you trust the foot? I mean remember when The Shredder made that same offer to Leo before? He did take it, Raph thought he was stupid! So i can see why Raph was like ok fool me once you wont fool me again!

But then again at that time could you blame him for putting trust into the foot? We all know how it all came out in the end but AT THAT TIME? You never know right? I did though think Raph was a stubborn hot head, I didn't like his attitude after the beginning.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I think both were wrong in some ways. While Leo's intentions were good, he acted impulsively and should've gone in with a clearer head. Raph was wrong in blowing it off with no concern for others. Yes, it really wasn't their fight, but Leo was mostly thinking of the innocents. Splinter more than likely meditated on the subject after Leo stormed off and came to this conclusion. So, he talked with Raph, and the two went to help. I'll be covering a bit of this in my story "Letters To Yoshi."
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
I just skimmed all of the comic book issues of City at War. This sounds like fun to read. In fact, it felt like an episode of 24, which is great! Now to the subject: I know how you feel about each character. I felt Leo was wrong in a way to get involved at first, but Raph was wrong to say that it was not their fight. Leo should have listened to Splinter at first, and Raph should have not walked out from the fight. Which goes to say: they were both wrong and were being stupid. What I saw from the 2k3 series was nothing like the comic book issues. Roles were switched. Instead of Raph being the one who wants to fight, the writers gave it to Leo. That’s my problem with the writers. Sometimes I wonder that they never cared for Leonardo whatsoever, that it made things become the Raphael Show. 4Kids tried, but after what I read from the comic summaries, they didn’t make it completely accurate to the City at War. I wouldn’t mind it being a part one through three episode, but they should have stuck with Leo not wanting to fight and give him more clout.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
I just skimmed all of the comic book issues of City at War. This sounds like fun to read. In fact, it felt like an episode of 24, which is great! Now to the subject: I know how you feel about each character. I felt Leo was wrong in a way to get involved at first, but Raph was wrong to say that it was not their fight. Leo should have listened to Splinter at first, and Raph should have not walked out from the fight. Which goes to say: they were both wrong and were being stupid. What I saw from the 2k3 series was nothing like the comic book issues. Roles were switched. Instead of Raph being the one who wants to fight, the writers gave it to Leo. That’s my problem with the writers. Sometimes I wonder that they never cared for Leonardo whatsoever, that it made things become the Raphael Show. 4Kids tried, but after what I read from the comic summaries, they didn’t make it completely accurate to the City at War. I wouldn’t mind it being a part one through three episode, but they should have stuck with Leo not wanting to fight and give him more clout.
Hmm that's good to know, it makes more sense that Raph be the one who wanted to go out and fight. Raph is usually the one that makes all the bone head decisions.

Do you mean 4Kids wanted it to be a Raph show or the comics wanted it to be a Raph show? I don't know if any character got the one up on any, i thought it was well balanced. Not like the 90s X-Men series, where it was a Wolverine show.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Whenever I watch the second season, I'm always reminded of when I first watched the second season. I spent the whole season trying to figure out how the creators were trying to make all of the pieces of the puzzle fit regarding the Shredder being an utrom.

Speaking specifically about the City At War story, I was trying to figure out why the Shredder would've limited himself to just one city if he was the world conquering alien that we were supposed to believe he was. It's like the Shredder controlled New York's underworld, so I understand what was going on. But I can't help but think that if the writers truly intended for the Shredder to be a world conquering utrom, why wouldn't the Shredder have had bases all throughout the world? The whole Leo/Raph thing just seemed so insignificant to me.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Whenever I watch the second season, I'm always reminded of when I first watched the second season. I spent the whole season trying to figure out how the creators were trying to make all of the pieces of the puzzle fit regarding the Shredder being an utrom.

Speaking specifically about the City At War story, I was trying to figure out why the Shredder would've limited himself to just one city if he was the world conquering alien that we were supposed to believe he was. It's like the Shredder controlled New York's underworld, so I understand what was going on. But I can't help but think that if the writers truly intended for the Shredder to be a world conquering utrom, why wouldn't the Shredder have had bases all throughout the world? The whole Leo/Raph thing just seemed so insignificant to me.
I'm doing the exact same thing as i am rewatching this right now. I know there were a lot of complaints with Splinter who i guess knew from the beginning he was an utrom and seeing if there are holes here. I'm trying to see if there is a lame excuse to let Splinter off the hook.

Well so far I can only say this...my thinking is Splinter knew he was an utrom but didn't feel the need to tell the Turtles about this. I mean he didn't tell them about a lot of things. Like that the Utroms even existed or even about the Battle Nexus.

Also when Leo cut his head off, Splinter wasn't there. This however doesn't really explain why the Utroms thought he was defeated. Defeated yes but not for good.

Ok now onto Secret Origins. I suppose Splinter knew about The Utrom Shredder but didn't know the full story behind it just bits and parts. That's why when they went into those pods, i guess that was his first time seeing the full history of the Utroms and from there everything made sense to him. (Ok i'm not totally defending it 4Kids made it right, I'm just trying to see if it makes partial sense).

So lets just assume he knew the whole story of the Original Shredder but only knew just a little bit of the Utroms. Meaning he didn't know how they got to earth, he just knew they existed and somehow an Evil Utrom took over the mantle of the Shredder? Make sense? I could see how this be an angle that could work for all the pot holes???

Also we can assume off camera during this City at War saga, Karai came to New York and found the remains of Chre'll and then carried out here plan to the Turtles.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
XERO
Hybrid Theorist
 
XERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8,184
Who shot first...

Han(Raph) or Greedo(Leo)?
__________________

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
I seriously think that 4Kids did not put that much effort into this storyline. And you’re right. If Shredder was going to be a Utrom, why didn’t he have other of his locations all over the world? Somehow I feel that this was the beginning of Peter Laird’s inconsistency.
Now back to what I said about the Raphael show: I meant for this series, not the comics. Plus, I like the 90’s X-Men series. I did think it focused on Wolverine too much, but I still got a kick out of it. Funny thing is, my favorite turtle is Leonardo, but my favorite X-Man is Wolverine. Maybe it’s because they took some form of Japanese martial arts. Same reason why I like Batman a lot, too.

Also - that’s not funny, XERO. You make it look like that Raph is the winner. None of the two were thinking.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
XERO
Hybrid Theorist
 
XERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8,184
So, Han shot first? Well, damn.
__________________

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
Krys
Thug
 
Krys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
Also - that’s not funny, XERO. You make it look like that Raph is the winner. None of the two were thinking.
I thought it was kinda funny
__________________
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #19
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
Also when Leo cut his head off, Splinter wasn't there. This however doesn't really explain why the Utroms thought he was defeated. Defeated yes but not for good.
It wasn't the Utrom who thought that it was the guardians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
I seriously think that 4Kids did not put that much effort into this storyline. And you’re right. If Shredder was going to be a Utrom, why didn’t he have other of his locations all over the world? Somehow I feel that this was the beginning of Peter Laird’s inconsistency. Now back to what I said about the Raphael show: I meant for this series
But he did have a base in japan lead by Karai. Also how can you say this was the Raphael show? It seemed more like the Leonardo show. He was the one who first meet Shredder, he was the one who got beat up in Shredder Strikes Back, he was the one who defeated Shredder in RTNY, he was the one in love with Karai, he was the one poisoned in Big Brawl, he was the one pissed off in season 4, he was the one who went off to train with The Ancient One and came back and saved the other Turtles when Karai became Shredder, he was the one who didn't get a new weapon in season 5.

Last edited by Xav; 06-01-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #20
k_lala
Hench Mutant
 
k_lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
It wasn't the Utrom who thought that it was the guardians.
Thats what i meant, Utrom/Gaurdians.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.