The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Mindy
Foot Soldier
 
Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 184
4Kids employee talks about working there-

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._employee_ama/


It's a bit of a read, but user "bacondevil" takes on heated questions. Scroll down halfway down and bacondevil talks about TMNT2k3 and Turtles Forever. Maybe some of you have asked him some questions? If not, take a stab at it. Thread was started this weekend. We probably already know most, if not all, but it's interesting to read about the other 4Kids' shows, too. Happy reading!



Quote:
I have been an employee of 4Kids Entertainment for the past 9 years. I work for their subsidiary 4Kids Productions. As the name implies, we are the ones in charge of producing the shows you have all come to love and hate or not know existed.

I am fully aware of the opinion people have of 4Kids, so I would like to establish a few personal facts and set up a few ground rules (should anyone actually have questions).

I have a purely creative role. I do not have any say on what shows we produce, what visual edits are made, and how 4kids treats a property on the business side.
I'm here as a friend, please do not treat me like the company. I am not here to defend what 4Kids does, but to hopefully explain why they do what they do.
I will gladly answer questions regarding the Yu-Gi-Oh! lawsuit that are public but there are some things I legally cannot say. I apologize in advance if I cannot answer your question.


Quote:
There was a season 5 produced that we had not aired at the time, when we finished the season the Mirage (and maybe Playmates? Not sure, but they did have a say in the show as well) felt the season was too dark for kids. Which is ********, but whatever.

So Fast Forward was a way to lighten it up. The last two seasons were definitely the weakest. Part of the problem was money was becoming an issue and both Mirage and Playmates were putting up less and less money to get the show done. We had a season 7 that we had to scrap, but then we were able to recover for season 8 and the Turtles Forever movie. I enjoyed the movie, thought it was a good end for us and I'm happy Nicktoons airs it somewhat often.

The episode that was removed never finished production. It didn't even get to me before they started to cancel that episode. There were talks of us trying to finish it ourselves, but we never found the time in our schedules to take it on as a personal project.
Quote:
Thank you very much! It means a lot to hear that, as this was our first original production we all tried to go out with something that the fans would enjoy.

I only wish the person who owns the rights to the original '87 music wasn't being such a hard ass about us using his theme. Would have made it that much better.

LOL--
Quote:
And too many shows are about kids and cards. I will die a happy man if I never have to work on a show that involves kids fighting with cards ever again.

And a user posted a link to the 4Kids parody "2Kids: Casey and Friends" that my friend did. hehe bacondevil said he would look at it later. It was good fun working on that. I see it's still pretty popular.
__________________

TMNT OVA English fandubs ~ completed!
TMNT & other fics:
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1013080/

Last edited by Mindy; 07-10-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._employee_ama/


It's a bit of a read, but user "bacondevil" takes on heated questions. Scroll down halfway down and bacondevil talks about TMNT2k3 and Turtles Forever. Maybe some of you have asked him some questions? If not, take a stab at it. Thread was started this weekend. We probably already know most, if not all, but it's interesting to read about the other 4Kids' shows, too. Happy reading!
I seen this thread on reddit but I didn't bother asking anything. Was nice of the guy to answer questions.

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Mindy
Foot Soldier
 
Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 184
He doesn't seem to be vicious or anything. I thoroughly enjoyed his comments.
__________________

TMNT OVA English fandubs ~ completed!
TMNT & other fics:
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1013080/
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,474
Great find, Mindy!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I wonder who the hard ass is? I initially thought Chuck Lorre, but remembered he's never seen a penny of royalties.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,783
I'm glad to see they at least tried to get the original theme song BGM for Turtles Forever.

Its a damn shame we can't ever hear the classic theme song for anything new because of rights issues.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm glad to see they at least tried to get the original theme song BGM for Turtles Forever.

Its a damn shame we can't ever hear the classic theme song for anything new because of rights issues.
Ya think Fred Wolf might have been the issue? Then again, he let them use the characters...or did they need FW's permission to use the characters, since they were owned by Mirage?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ya think Fred Wolf might have been the issue? Then again, he let them use the characters...or did they need FW's permission to use the characters, since they were owned by Mirage?
They didn't need permission to use the characters, though it is funny they were able to redraw the original model sheets... which makes me think they at least contacted FW over that matter.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
They didn't need permission to use the characters, though it is funny they were able to redraw the original model sheets... which makes me think they at least contacted FW over that matter.
I don't think they'd need permission to do that. The model sheets they drew over they got from me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I don't think they'd need permission to do that. The model sheets they drew over they got from me.
Which is why Rose is mentioned in the credits and Fred Wolf isn't, yo!

Where did you get them from? Was it the same Yahoo! Fan Group where I probably ripped them from years ago?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Which is why Rose is mentioned in the credits and Fred Wolf isn't, yo!

Where did you get them from? Was it the same Yahoo! Fan Group where I probably ripped them from years ago?
Booyah! I have no clue where I got them, honestly. I got contacted and asked if I had anything of that nature and after searching through my computer I found that I did. I just have so much random stuff saved from so many years of internet stuffs.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
We had a season 7 that we had to scrap, but then we were able to recover for season 8 and the Turtles Forever movie.
Season 8? Did he say Season 8?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Season 8? Did he say Season 8?
I'm thinking "Season 8" was "Back to the Sewers." "Season 7" would have been the planned and in-progress 2nd season of "Fast Forward."
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I really wish we would've gotten a second season of Fast Forward. Not even for the rad stuff they had planned, just for the sake of it. I thoroughly enjoyed that series. When it first aired I hated the idea of it & didn't even check it out but in '09 I got the DVD's for my collections sake and fell in love with it.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.