The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Utromshredderhater
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 255
Who would still prefer a 2D animated show?

I'm just asking considering the rather low want for anymore computer animation
Utromshredderhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Ooh! Ooh! ME!! ^_^
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Yes, to be quite honest I'm really not pleased with the cg designs.
It all looks like it's made out of clay.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Well it's too late now, so suck it up!
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I'd prefer it, but it's no biggie. The show just needs to be worth watching is all.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd prefer it, but it's no biggie. The show just needs to be worth watching is all.
Thanks, Powder. I'm glad you think this will be worth watching anyway.

Still, I actually LOVE the new CGI animation. I do prefer the 2k7 look, but this new look they're getting is amazing and original.

The OT animation was not bad, just mostly for the kids. The turtles looked kind of cute.

The 2k3 animation, to me, was not the best. There was not enough light and shadow, I guess. Plus, no one looked as cool as soon as I read the 84 Comic issues.

Maybe in the future, there will be a 2D animated show, giving them a 1984 look in the contemporary world. Think of it like a Batman: Brave and the Bold show.

Still, I love their new look.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,197
Nope. This show can make up for the turtles' past failure in the CGI medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
Still, I actually LOVE the new CGI animation. I do prefer the 2k7 look, but this new look they're getting is amazing and original.
You've seen animation of the new show?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

You've seen animation of the new show?
Only for the turtles. I wish to see more, though. But I'm confident this will be great. I don't mind the look for the new Green Lantern series. So hopefully, this will be good, too.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
I would prefer animated but not a big deal really. I really like the designs of the new turtles just hope the show is good.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Zog the Equalizer
Stone Warrior
 
Zog the Equalizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 534
At first I was really leery about the cg animation, but now that I've seen the designs I actually really like them so I have high hopes for the new show
__________________
"Pork rind?"
"Pork rind!"
Zog the Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
I prefer 2D. They look too blocky or something in CG, but not much I can do about that. As long as the quality (characterization, story, etc.), is okay, it won't matter too much to me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
The animation needs to work in the confines of the stories they are trying to tell. Of they think a CG style will work better for what they are going for then I say go for it. I personally still prefer 2D animation for most things. CG to me always seems to age poorly but 2D withstands the test of time if the story is solid.

A good example of this is Beast Wars. They had awesome stories but when watched now the CG looks clunky. It isn't as well done as it used to be, but at the time it was ground breaking. If it had been 2D the cluncky animation wouldn't pull you out of it.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
after seeing the amazing animation in other current shows that use 2D animation (like young justice league) I have to say that yeah, I really do prefere a 2D animated show. I just think it looks better and more "organic" than the mechanical look of CGI.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
A little *too* Raph
Stone Warrior
 
A little *too* Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 561
I almost always prefer 2d animation over 3d. So yes.
__________________
- "You're a claustrophobic"
- "You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy"
A little *too* Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnMichael View Post
Yes, to be quite honest I'm really not pleased with the cg designs.
It all looks like it's made out of clay.
That and the proportions are awful. They took some influence from the movie design and I wish they didn't. I hate that skinny leg giant calf crap. I also really don't like or see the point of the third toe.

But to answer the topic question I'd take 2D over 3D anyday anytime. I saw some clips of the new Green lantern show and it looks really bad and out dated I fear turtles will look like that too.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
It would really depend on the quality of the 2D animation in question.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior
 
papa_smurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 933
Wow... Good question. I do enjoy watching the standard cartoon series, but I'm interested to see how the CGI plays out. As long as the content is solid, I think I'll be happy with either or.
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja
 
Whitewolf89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd prefer it, but it's no biggie. The show just needs to be worth watching is all.
My sentiments, exactly, Powder.

Quite honestly, I like both kinds of animation, as long as either is done correctly and well, and don't look like a brain-dead babbon did it
__________________
Brother against brother...........
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
Whitewolf89 I think you nailed it when you said "as long as either is done correctly and well". If you look at some of Nick's CG programs it's a toss up. But the same could be said for the 2D. I have faith though that we are in for a treat.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
well, here's my two cents on this one quickly...
I love classic animation and remain impressed with what can be done in this technique...I accept the computers as just another tool to use in that respect, however I must say that most movies and pieces of cg animation does seem to look and feel similar to it's competition(at least to me), but that is not to say that cgi can't stand out from one another...

leo565 you mustn't forget that the 2k3 series used highly stylised characters and surroundings, while as the animators of the ot drew the surroundings for example to resemble reality....I disagree with you on the light and shadow point you brought up...
I loved both shows and am quite excited and happy about what I have read and seen so far on the new show...I only hope nickelodeon, as a world wide operating network, does give us the turtles at the same time around the globe!!!!
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.