The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
TMNT Ultimate Collection HC Volume 1 - LBCC B&W Limited Edition

Hey everyone...IDW just released copies of the TMNT Ultimate Collection HC Volume 1 - LBCC B&W Limited Edition for sale on their web store.

I confirmed with IDW that this variant is still limited to 250 copies and they took (and sold) only 50 copies at the Long Beach Comic Con. This batch is the remaining 200 (well, 199 now ).

Get them while they last!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Sorry for the new thread on this topic...the search function wasn't working when using my tablet and I wanted to get the word out.
__________________


Last edited by rich; 11-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior
 
Abnormal Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 779
Cool. o.o Part of me wants to cancel my Amazon order, but I think I like the partially colored and mostly gray-toned cover more (even though I would have preferred it all be colored).
__________________
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
One hundred ninety-eight.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Part of me gets really bothered when they do this for con exclusives. Not that I don't want people to be able to get the book who arent in range of the con, but that the people who go through the effort of going to the cons to get exclusives end up paying substantially MORE for something they could just get online. Yeah **** that. The con-goers end up paying for the book + plus con ticket price + gas + time (drive time + line time).

Not to mention calling something a con exclusive and then having it NOT be exclusive to the con is simply lying.

I wonder how the people who have been paying $150+ for it on ebay are feeling right about now...
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
The con-goers end up paying for the book + plus con ticket price + gas + time (drive time + line time).
How many people attending simply to to get one item, though? They're paying for the experience of attending a Con, not to get first access to a limited run book.

Quote:
Not to mention calling something a con exclusive and then having it NOT be exclusive to the con is simply lying.
To use an analogy you're familiar with, it's almost akin to a game company calling locked, on-disc content "DLC" when it's not. Or a better example, a game being announced as an exclusive and later being released on another console.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
To use an analogy you're familiar with, it's almost akin to a game company calling locked, on-disc content "DLC" when it's not. Or a better example, a game being announced as an exclusive and later being released on another console.
EDIT: And what is the fan reaction when they do that?

Just because there is a precedence doesn't make it right. ESPECIALLY since IDW claimed to multiple people via email that they had sold out the run at the show. They had people convinced they didn't have anymore copies...so they went to ebay and paid triple or more.

EDIT: Also to answer your other question. LBCC was really really tiny. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were quite a few folks who went there for specific reasons (obviously not all of them for the turtles books -- but to see someone specific, or for another exclusive, etc). Obviously that isn't a metric we can measure.

Last edited by Archon_Turtle; 11-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Archon, totally agree with you that this was advertised as a Con exclusive...the details are still on the IDW site. That part is frustrating and I'm sure those that paid so much are not very happy.

However, I tend to agree with Venom. Did you only go to the LBCC in order to pick up a copy of this and you wouldn't have gone otherwise? Don't forget that the Con-goers that picked up a copy of this (yourself included) could get an awesome sketch and signature from Kevin at the show. I know I would have done that if I were there and I also know that the Ltd. Ed. book I ordered today won't have that. I'd say that's worth a ticket, some time, and gas money.
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
However, I tend to agree with Venom. Did you only go to the LBCC in order to pick up a copy of this and you wouldn't have gone otherwise?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Don't forget that the Con-goers that picked up a copy of this (yourself included) could get an awesome sketch and signature from Kevin at the show. I know I would have done that if I were there and I also know that the Ltd. Ed. book I ordered today won't have that. I'd say that's worth a ticket, some time, and gas money.
I would concede that point if Kevin wasn't a super accessible creator who regularly attends conventions all over the place (both great things). You don't need to have gone to that convention to get a sketch; He does pretty regular signings for free.

Last edited by Archon_Turtle; 11-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior
 
Abnormal Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 779
Uuuuugh. Just plunked down the $57.13. :p Gonna be hating myself for this (until the book arrives in my hands and all that buyer's remorse melts away). And I'll be getting it in addition to the regular book.
__________________
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
King Suck
Foot Soldier
 
King Suck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 167
While Im happy at the chance to get a copy I'm with Archon on this. I remember him saying in the forum thread he was going to the Con for this. That would piss me off to go to a Con to get an exclusive that gets a general release several weeks later.

Added its rather crappy of them to mislead me. I emailed IDW right after the Con asking if any were left over/heldback and they emailed me back they were sold out "at the con" and sent me info on how to order the regular version.

Im going to order this but Ill air another complaint as Ive found IDW shipping leaves a lot to be desired. I ordered Ashley Woods BBB (which was a SDCC exclusive) earlier this year direct from them and even sent a note asking them to pack it well and it was put in a thin box Boarders style with no padding or other protection and arrived with more dings and dents then my first car. Not what I expect for a new $125 book in a slip case direct from the publisher.

I love IDWs work and am really impressed by some of the guys involvement on this board. From Ashley Woods work to Godzilla Ive enjoyed their releases. I have been a fan before they got TMNT but there's definitely room for improvement.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,518
Reading over this thread, this is news to me, I thought we were completely solid out at the Con too. I agree... seems like we could have done a better job of clarifying things. I talked to our warehouse guy about it, to see if I could get more information. He said:

"As far as I know, we told people at the show that the HC was of a limited edition of 300 copies (which it still is) and that it was an IDW Exclusive, but not that it was exclusive to the show in Long Beach. At the time, we weren't sure how the remainder would be made available later on, so we were just telling people we sold out of what we had available, but the signals may have gotten crossed on that last one for a few customers. Also, a lot of people were referring to all of the variants as the Long Beach Exclusives when purchasing, so if they weren't corrected they may have assumed it was exclusive to that show, when in fact it was just a IDW exclusive, not a Long Beach exclusive."

Conventions, typically, are madhouses. Things are hectic, people are tired, messages get mixed up. I know at conventions people have asked me about say, a Transformers variant (a property I have nothing to do with), and I try and reply based on what I remember being discussed, usually several days prior. I know for a fact that I've stated information that I later learned to be wrong. I'm assuming the same type of thing happened here.

Ultimately, those are just excuses. Well meaning excuses, and I don't think anything was intentionally done to screw people over but... I agree there's room for improvement here from IDW.

Apologies for confusion.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I went and placed an order. I actually like the colored cover better but couldn't pass the variant up. There's only 250 of them out there!
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
..."As far as I know, we told people at the show that the HC was of a limited edition of 300 copies (which it still is) and that it was an IDW Exclusive, but not that it was exclusive to the show in Long Beach...
Hey Bobby, thanks for stepping in and commenting on this. We all do appreciate your direct involvement with TMNT fans.

I don't know if you went to the link in my previous post but if you do I think you'll see why we're kind of ticked off at this. Clearly it states on the IDW site "*Ask about the convention exclusive Ultimate TMNT Hardcover!"
I won't speak for how anyone else interprets "convention exclusive" but I would interpret that as "only available at the convention."

Plus, we all emailed the IDW Store and heard that it was "sold out at the show." Just kind of blows for anyone that paid some major cash for this on the second-hand market.
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
You don't need to have gone to that convention to get a sketch; He does pretty regular signings for free.
True, but he never comes to visit his favorite TMNT fan in Colorado.

Well, although this turned out OK for those of us that couldn't attend the LBCC I can definitely side with you on this and your frustration in seeing this available online. Given what King Suck said about IDW shipping we may all be pissed off here in a few days anyway when our copies arrive.
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Reading over this thread, this is news to me, I thought we were completely solid out at the Con too. I agree... seems like we could have done a better job of clarifying things.
I think it would have helped if IDW had actually announced this book existed, instead of simply mentioning it as an aside on the page that Rich linked to.

However, I have no sympathy for people who went to the Con just for this or who paid a ridiculous price for it on eBay. That's the game you play with exclusives. It's still you making the decisions on how to spend your money.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
King Suck
Foot Soldier
 
King Suck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
However, I have no sympathy for people who went to the Con just for this or who paid a ridiculous price for it on eBay. That's the game you play with exclusives. It's still you making the decisions on how to spend your money.
The con reality you speak of should not apply to publishers and/or vendors but more to the professional flipper crowd. Misleading info from a publisher leads to purchase decisions from the consumer.

I think its a communication issue (mostly internal) rather then the folks at IDW trying to pull one over. 200 copies aren't worth anywhere near a loyal & VOCAL fan base such as the one TMNT has. As far as I'm concerned Bobby publicly addressing these concerns is a big step in the right direction for me.

Rose, even as a new jack to this forum like myself I've recognized that you are a valuable contributor to this forum and are an irreplaceable asset to TMNT fan community. I've referred others to and referenced your blog many times since finding my way here. That said a little empathy goes a long way.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior
 
Abnormal Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 779
Considering it was believed that it was a con exclusive, it's reasonable to expect that serious collectors (I'm not one of them) would go to the con or pay a high price on eBay. I'd be pissed too if I were one of them—not that it's not actually a con exclusive, but that information led everyone to believe it was. After all, I am happy to get the book relatively cheap. ;)
__________________
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
The problem with collecting is that people get too engrossed in limited edition numbers and this and that fact that makes their item better than another person's item. They forget to actually enjoy whatever it is they are buying.

As a person who has been a hardcore collector of the comics, I made the conscious decision to not seek out every single variation IDW was coming out with. Not an easy decision to make, but it's just not something I can do financially right now. Maybe in the future I'll go back and track them all down. I don't know. But it all boils down to decisions on how we decide to spend our money. The situation here is unfortunate, but I can't have sympathy for someone who made a decision to buy an item simply because the circumstances surrounding the item have changed. I've been on the other side of this before. It sucks, but it's all part of the game we choose to play.

And Stephan came out of LBCC with more than just this book, so his grounds for complaint are slim at best. Really, you should never go to a convention for just one reason, because you always run the risk of having that person/event you're going for getting canceled.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Kevin. I can't get to any of these events that he attends because of where I live. In the end, we are getting a book that alot of us thought we would never own because of location and the fact that they are so high priced on Ebay. I for one am happy.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
King Suck
Foot Soldier
 
King Suck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 167
I dont like the idea of a soft tax on a more popular item.

Shipping on the TMNT ultimate collection cost me $15.18 for a total of 65.17.
the PoPbot BBB which is 3-5 times larger and over 10 pounds cost me $9.54 for shipping.

I was told this drink was the sh*t and here I am spitting out my first sip looking at you like WTF?! Tell Ted to lock it down. We have the memory of elephants.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.