The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
IDW multi-colored masks

Alright, here we go. My first real thread, I hope people will find it interesting enough to respond .

So as most of you probably know the colored masks have started showing up in IDW's TMNT recently. First they were seen in preview art for infestation and now they've popped up in the Raphael one-shot.

What do you guys think would be an acceptable (or least unnacceptable) reason for them storywise to switch from all red to multi-colored masks?

My theory, assuming it's a permanent change, is that they all want to express themselves more as individuals but they still need a good reason to do that all of a sudden. It's also a little odd as they have been wearing all red bandana's for over a year now.

If it's a temporary change I really can't think of a valid reason why they would want to switch to different colors. At least so far.

I wish Tom Waltz would confirm if it was a definite or a temporary change, lol.

So anyway, what are your thoughts?
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
The real world reason is the colored masks are what most casual Turtle fans are used to so it was done to drive up sales. Perhaps Nick mandated they switch to color masks as well.

Most people never read the Mirage books who are picking up IDW now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I'm okay either way really. I mean the Mirage turtles had all red but it didn't really mean anything to me since the comics are in black and white. The majority of TMNT in color has had multicolored masks.

As a "clan" standpoint it makes since for them to have all one color. It shows unity.

But I can see them doing the color masks to "help" people keep who's who straight.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Agreed, Mirage and Image were always black and white anyway so it didn't matter. Volume 2 and some specials are the only exception.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
So as most of you probably know the colored masks have started showing up in IDW's TMNT recently. First they were seen in preview art for infestation and now they've popped up in the Raphael one-shot.
Huh? I thought the other Turtles didn't appear in the Raphael one-shot?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Personally I'm a fan of the all-red bandana's, though I used to be in the multi-colored bandana camp because they are more recognisable that way. However the ninja clan argument convinced me all-red is actually cooler.

I understand the real world reason of making them more recognisable to the public. But what I'm driving at is how will they explain this in-universe without upsetting fans of the all-red bandanas.

It would be weird if they'd just started to draw the TMNT with multi-colored bandana's from now on without ever mentioning how they started out with all red bandana's ever again.

I personally hope it's a temporary change, if not, I wouldn't lose interest as I'm used to multi-colored masks just the same but they should provide a really good reason for the change.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Huh? I thought the other Turtles didn't appear in the Raphael one-shot?
Spoiler:
They do, only for a panel or 2 though.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I don't mind the switch. I think the reason is going to be related to Raphael's entry into the group.

Here's a thought - do you guys think the reg. ed. of #6 showcase the TMNT in colored masks? Didn't Bobby C. say that he was holding out in showing it because there was a major spoiler?
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
That would make sense Donnie. I am not sure how valid this is but I found this declined Leonardo micro series cover with Leonardo wearing a blue mask. Apparently it was declined because Nickelodeon didn't approve.
Here's the source: http://menton3.deviantart.com/#/d4ft817
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
That would make sense Donnie. I am not sure how valid this is but I found this declined Leonardo micro series cover with Leonardo wearing a blue mask. Apparently it was declined because Nickelodeon didn't approve.
Here's the source: http://menton3.deviantart.com/#/d4ft817
Yeah, I believe that was a rejected variant for Infestation 2. The same artist is still doing a variant though, it's similar but a little better, still of Leo in blue. I'm personally not a fan of the style...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
When I think about it too the all red makes it feel a little less cartoonish. Maybe it's just me on that one but something about having them in different colors makes it seem less intense.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
When I think about it too the all red makes it feel a little less cartoonish. Maybe it's just me on that one but something about having them in different colors makes it seem less intense.
Yeah, this is definitely true, at least in my opinion. I may prefer colors just a tad over all red, but I still like all red and there's no doubt about it that all red is overall a darker, more mature Turtles.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Yeah, I believe that was a rejected variant for Infestation 2. The same artist is still doing a variant though, it's similar but a little better, still of Leo in blue. I'm personally not a fan of the style...
Looking at that cover I thought it would fit Infestation a lot more too despite the artist's claim that it was for Leonardo's one shot. Also the style of that cover is so out of sync with the ones we got for the other three turtles.

Oh, and speaking about the other turtle's covers, with Mikey there was some doubt but Donatello is definately wearing a red headband on the cover of his one shot. Curious.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post

Oh, and speaking about the other turtle's covers, with Mikey there was some doubt but Donatello is definately wearing a red headband on the cover of his one shot. Curious.
Yes, this is a good point. We haven't seen the variants yet though. Still haven't seen the Mikey variant, either.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,190
It could be a Nick mandate that they don't want brand confusion by having Leonardo wear Red, then again is the IDW comic violent? Because I doubt that is the brand they want to show with the turtles either.

But I think it has more to do with the fact that IDW sells based on nostalgia for the most part, look at all their licenses, and while everyone likes to pretend they are die hard Mirage fans the sales for Vol.4 show just how many of those actually are. Everyone and their mom has read #1 and like the idea of gritty turtles but besides that people are picking this up because of the OT.

Counting this isn't part of Mirage continuity and it's already taken plenty of liberties I don't see why many people would care about the change. I mean they're definitely the minority. I could see people getting angry if it was Mirage continuity or coloring the bandannas of the Mirage issues.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
I'll repost:

There is no sense in the TMNT having different colored bandannas. None. I don't say this as a Mirage purist, I strictly say this out of logic and good sense. I mean, hell, give them all BLACK bandannas (or no bandannas) if you must, but whatever they should be adorned with it should not be rainbow/mood-colored ones. Unless the TMNT universe in question will be so drastically different from the Mirage universe that the TMNT are no longer a ninja clan (I'm actually a supporter of the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" title for the rainbow-bandannaed TMNT... as they're not ninjas in that and the storylines in those basically make them nonsense superheroes or vigilantes or something equally rubbish), ninja clans have one color (or no color at all). As soon as you enter into account a ninja clan with members all picking different mood-colors for their bandannas to make metrosexual fashion statements or to say, "I'm different!" then the whole thing becomes a sham. I don't want the TMNT to be a sham, do you?

"But I have trouble telling them apart when they don't have different colored bandannas!!!"

#1: A lot can be achieved in artistic variation of the Turtles in body types, facial features, and even skin tones (though varying the skin colors too much becomes odd when it's too drastic... they're all supposed to be red-earred sliders and brothers, and it's not like you'd ever see a brown red-earred slider come out of one egg and a forest green red-earred slider come out of the one next to it). And it's not often that you see a Turtle without his trademark weapon anyway.
#2: It's possible you're a moron. Sorry.

"But in all the TMNT spinoff universes they have different colored bandannas!!!"

#1: It's neither the source material's (in which they all wore red) fault or any reflection on the source material.
#2: The spinoff universes are geared for little kids and otherwise had to be toy conscious (you know, "buy me the blue one, Mommy!" and this whole kind of New Kids on the Block-esque deal where little girls can bond/fawn over the one that best suits their mood, etc.)... so why support commercialism, when it's contrary to the spirit of what you're following?

"Aw, c'mooon, guys... I really, really, really liked the children's cartoons when I was like 6 and to me Leo will always be blue, Mikey orange, and Donnie purple!!!"

#1: You can get all of those cartoons on DVD and rekindle the sanctity of your childhood at your leisure.
#2: Chances are if you're on this forum you're already out of the target audience/demographic for TMNT in the mass media, whether you're talking about movies or new cartoons or whatever. The new generation of toddlers and little kids do not care about your childhood -- why should they?

"Who CARES what color their bandannas are?!?"

You should. That is, if you don't want your TMNT to be a sham.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
oldschoolturtlesfan
Thug
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 57
I am not a fan of the colored bandannas. I truly believe they should stay all red. Why didn't they just start the series with colored bandannas if that is the direction they wanted to take? I will continue to read either way, but it will definitely be disappointing.
oldschoolturtlesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolturtlesfan View Post
I am not a fan of the colored bandannas. I truly believe they should stay all red. Why didn't they just start the series with colored bandannas if that is the direction they wanted to take? I will continue to read either way, but it will definitely be disappointing.
What's really puzzling to me is why they went to all the trouble of making the Turtles' skin colors so different and like the action figures when the plan all along was to add the rainbow bandannas anyway. Rainbow bandannas and the different skin colors is too much, and a little insulting to readers (you know, "We don't trust you to know who this is so we're going to really, really make sure you know!").
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What's really puzzling to me is why they went to all the trouble of making the Turtles' skin colors so different and like the action figures when the plan all along was to add the rainbow bandannas anyway. Rainbow bandannas and the different skin colors is too much, and a little insulting to readers (you know, "We don't trust you to know who this is so we're going to really, really make sure you know!").
That's a good point...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolturtlesfan View Post
I am not a fan of the colored bandannas. I truly believe they should stay all red. Why didn't they just start the series with colored bandannas if that is the direction they wanted to take? I will continue to read either way, but it will definitely be disappointing.
I don't think we should panic about the colors yet, it might still be a temporary thing. Like I said above, the Donatello cover still has him wearing a red mask and I think it takes place after Raph's one-shot in which he wears purple. Maybe they will switch to color for a while and then at some moment stop and think "what the hell are we doing?".

I'm as baffled as you guys as to what the reason of them wearing the colored bands all of a sudden is though, be it temporary or permanent. Feel free to post your theories.

Last edited by Hermano Dyvas; 12-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.