The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
5 mutants other than the Turtles/Splinter in IDW?

So far we have 4 confirmed mutants, Old Hob, Alopex and the eventual mutation of Bebop/Rocksteady (especially since they say they want to be mutants)

I imagine the 5th mutant we'll see is Leatherhead. No he isn't confirmed so far, but what are the chances of them not using Leatherhead? I say slim to none.

So that will likely be 5 mutants total, more if we do wind up seeing the likes of Slash or others. What should they stop at? 10 mutants max?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Grimlock
Hench Mutant
 
Grimlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind you
Posts: 393
I think 5 is already too many. It just gets a little cheesy having all these mutants running around.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
See for me I don't need a bunch of mutants, but at the same time it wont bother me at the same time. I can see them pacing themselves when adding new mutants. I mean I don't doubt they will hold Venus off tell at least the second year of the comic
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Solink
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
As long as it isn't like the archie comics I don't mind having more mutants. Some will probably get killed by the turtles anyway. Really, how many good human characters could be introduced/created exepted Hun, Tatsu or Bishop? Mutant are more interesting IMO
Solink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Grimlock
Hench Mutant
 
Grimlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind you
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solink View Post
As long as it isn't like the archie comics I don't mind having more mutants. Some will probably get killed by the turtles anyway. Really, how many good human characters could be introduced/created exepted Hun, Tatsu or Bishop? Mutant are more interesting IMO
We won't be seeing the turtles kill anyone. Splinter and his ''no kill policy''. Off panel, I hope so.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Solink
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
We won't be seeing the turtles kill anyone. Splinter and his ''no kill policy''. Off panel, I hope so.
Yeah...I guess you're right. I just hate when bad guys get milked over and over like in the cartoons and I had my hopes up with the presence of blood in the comics. I want my turtles to be badass and deadly.
Solink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Probably want to get used to the mutant idea. There'd have to be at least 20 in Infestation...

Back on track, as Bobby said, Rocksteady and Bebop aren't necessarily something to bank on yet...
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
But if those are just background cameos or throwaway nods, it's not like a real character.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
We won't be seeing the turtles kill anyone. Splinter and his ''no kill policy''. Off panel, I hope so.
Splinter only said not to kill Old Hob and his gang. That Splinter felt he had to tell the Turtles that at all implies they've killed in the past and would've otherwise killed those guys if Splinter hadn't said anything... they're just not to kill those guys, for whatever reason. I'm a little bit foggy on why Splinter wouldn't want Old Hob and his gang killed, though... if anything, since it's kind of personal with him, wouldn't that be that much more reason to take him out? For now I'm just chalking it up to stuff/backstory we don't know yet, but eventually that needs to be explained.

If there's seriously an all-out no killing policy then the book ought to adopt the European "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" title, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Though if things are going to reach #8 and the Turtles will still only have ever tangled with Old Hob and his gang (who Splinter expressly told them not to kill) and robotic mousers... I think it'll definitely be time to wonder and question what's going on.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-15-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
This is a bit of a radical idea, but I think it'd be cool to introduce the Rat King eventually as a human, have him as an enemy of both the Turtles and Shredder, etc. (on his own, like Mirage) and have him almost killed. The foot finding him (or maybe they are the ones doing the beating) could then take him and mutate him into a rat - the anti-Splinter. I don't know, an evil rat could be kind of cool.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Grimlock
Hench Mutant
 
Grimlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind you
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
This is a bit of a radical idea, but I think it'd be cool to introduce the Rat King eventually as a human, have him as an enemy of both the Turtles and Shredder, etc. (on his own, like Mirage) and have him almost killed. The foot finding him (or maybe they are the ones doing the beating) could then take him and mutate him into a rat - the anti-Splinter. I don't know, an evil rat could be kind of cool.
I think the Rat King is cool enough on his own. If he became a mutated rat I think that would be a little much.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I think the Rat King is cool enough on his own. If he became a mutated rat I think that would be a little much.
I agree, though there might be a good story in what Donnie is suggesting. i.e., start him out Mirage style, then almost dying, then he's discovered by some faction of the Turtles' enemies -- probably Krang -- and granted his wish... made into a real rat to join Krang's army. Maybe taking orders doesn't work out so great, though, and he just ends up doing his own thing again.

Whatever ends up being the plan with Rat King, he needs to be kind of a "Gray" character. Rat King isn't inherently good or evil, he just is.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
This is a bit of a radical idea, but I think it'd be cool to introduce the Rat King eventually as a human, have him as an enemy of both the Turtles and Shredder, etc. (on his own, like Mirage) and have him almost killed. The foot finding him (or maybe they are the ones doing the beating) could then take him and mutate him into a rat - the anti-Splinter. I don't know, an evil rat could be kind of cool.
I've always wanted to see this happen, but not until after a while.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
AcidBurn30
Foot Soldier
 
AcidBurn30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: california
Posts: 155
its not cheesy at all, come on it was fun when were kids when they had a lot of mutains here and there..but the best part is theyre bring back the old ones and making new ones...keep it up i love it!
AcidBurn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBurn30 View Post
its not cheesy at all, come on it was fun when were kids when they had a lot of mutains here and there
Nope, it was cheesy back then too which is why 99% of the fandom outgrew the whole shebang pretty quick.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
Grimlock
Hench Mutant
 
Grimlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind you
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBurn30 View Post
its not cheesy at all, come on it was fun when were kids when they had a lot of mutains here and there..but the best part is theyre bring back the old ones and making new ones...keep it up i love it!
Sharp Cheddar. You don't make much sense, do you?
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
To me, a TMNT world with a bunch of other mutants always made sense. I mean if mutant turtles, rats and alligators are possible, why should a mutant fox, rhino or warthog be out of the question?

If mutagen exists in-universe it only makes sense that it gets re-used on other creatures.

I agree they shouldn't make TMNT a mutant-of-the-week show of course, but I don't mind if there are a bunch of them running around as long as they're well written.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
as Bobby said, Rocksteady and Bebop aren't necessarily something to bank on yet...
Too bad, I was kinda looking forward to IDW's take on their mutated version. Even if it was only for a story or 2.

I guess this means we're being mislead and human-to-animal mutation might not be possible after all.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
To me, a TMNT world with a bunch of other mutants always made sense. I mean if mutant turtles, rats and alligators are possible, why should a mutant fox, rhino or warthog be out of the question?
In general? Because the best TMNT stories are generally ones where the weirdest things in them... are the TMNT themselves. And the more you make the world around them unrecognizeable by filling it chock full of mutants, the more the bottom falls out of the whole thing. Which doesn't mean the Turtles should never encounter other mutants ever... it should just be a pretty big deal when they do -- it can't be a pretty big deal if they're running into new ones every week.

And also, it's called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," not "Mutant Zoo." And because Kevin and Peter like it that way... and I think I read somewhere that they had something to do with the TMNT once.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In general? Because the best TMNT stories are generally ones where the weirdest things in them... are the TMNT themselves. And the more you make the world around them unrecognizeable by filling it chock full of mutants, the more the bottom falls out of the whole thing. Which doesn't mean the Turtles should never encounter other mutants ever... it should just be a pretty big deal when they do -- it can't be a pretty big deal if they're running into new ones every week.

And also, it's called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," not "Mutant Zoo." And because Kevin and Peter like it that way... and I think I read somewhere that they had something to do with the TMNT once.
Well, no, I don't mean as in TMNT stories should be all about mutants all the time. I just mean fans shouldn't find it weird other mutants show up in a world where mutagen exists. I kind of consider mutants being a part of the world of TMNT.

I'm actually a fan of more realistic, grounded TMNT stories too but sci-fi has always been a part of TMNT as well. TMNT stories can really work on so many different types of levels and mutants are only a part of that.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
idw


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.