The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
cartoonistaaron's Mecha Donatello COLORED!

First of all, I'd like to give two thumbs up to cartoonistaaron for his amazing work. He submitted some amazing art here and I sure wish him the best of luck for his first official comic ! Long live Toaster Guy !

As for this color job, well, lets just say that it was one awesome project. The first time I saw the drawing, I wanted to put colors on it and make it come alive. Because when I think of a ''mecha'' Donatello, this is exactly what I have in mind. I mean look at it ! The mechanical legs are exactly what Donnie would create if he was in this situation. It looks rough and it also looks like it was made by someone who knew what he was doing, but didn't have the proper parts... Its great!

Now for the colors, well, I wanted the colors to match the drawing. Dark and gritty colors in a just as dark ang gritty place. I first wanted to add a lab as a background, but doing so would've taken alot of time that I just don't have. I really wanted to finish it this weekend because I knew that if I didn't, I'd probably never finish it. But Donnie is the center piece here, a background wasn't really necessary.

There was also a great challenge for me in coloring this. This piece is alot of work. And I mean alot... It was hard, because I had one picture in mind and its what I wanted to see ''on paper''. Had I've done this 3 years ago, it would've looked very different and not as good. Coloring this really helped me improve my skills. I've learned alot coloring this mecha Don and I'm proud of the result.

One last thing, Aaron decided not draw Donnie's eyes. I totally understand his decision as it made the whole picture pretty striking. The eyes are the very last thing I decided to add. I of course first wanted to recreate the mood of the original piece, but when I added the eyes, Donatello suddenly looked pretty bad ass. Donatello instantly changed from beign ashamed of his new self, to beign pissed yet proud to be what he became.

So here you go. First the orignal, then the colored version. Aaron, I really hope you like it and that you won't mind too much about the eyes.




__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Lord knows I'm not a fan of a cyborg Donnie, but damn, that came out AWESOME. Great job!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Ulisses31
Mad Scientist
 
Ulisses31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Évora Portugal
Posts: 1,230
Amazing draw, sad about that bad coloring...



^Joke, the color is also amazing and that eyes help to tell the story, congratulations to both.
__________________
Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
if you want to be update to all TMNT Redesign Challenges

My Art Gallery for TMNT - And some more Art

Spoiler:

Quote:
If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman
Ulisses31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
That drawing looks amazing!!!!! The coloring jst fleshes out the drawing so much more !!!
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Lord knows I'm not a fan of a cyborg Donnie, but damn, that came out AWESOME. Great job!
Thanks Donnie ! For my part, I just love the idea of a ''mecha'' Donatello. If something like this was to happen to any of the turtles, it would happen to Donnie of course ! And Aaron did such a great job on this.


Quote:
Amazing draw, sad about that bad coloring...
^Joke, the color is also amazing and that eyes help to tell the story, congratulations to both.
You now have a little taste of things to come for the rat king redesign..

And yeah, now that I added the eyes, I like the overall picture even more. I sure hope Aaron will like it too.

Quote:
That drawing looks amazing!!!!! The coloring jst fleshes out the drawing so much more !!!
Thanks ! And yeah when you look at it, the drawing looks detailed and all, but its when I started coloring it that I realized just how much work this was going to be. What I also saw was that all the details and tubings and what not were perfectly recreated on both legs. Its really one amazing drawing when you think about it. Alot of attention went into the creation of the legs and it shows.

That's the work of a pro. And yes I'm talking about the color job... (C'mon you knew it was coming...)
__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
This is fantastic!
Thank you for sharing!
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliced View Post
Thanks Donnie ! For my part, I just love the idea of a ''mecha'' Donatello. If something like this was to happen to any of the turtles, it would happen to Donnie of course ! And Aaron did such a great job on this.
Yeah. Y'know, if Image had designed this kind of Donnie rather than that big bulky lump of junk, I may not have ditched the series!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Lookin' sharp!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is fantastic!
Thank you for sharing!
Thanks a whole lot!

Quote:
Yeah. Y'know, if Image had designed this kind of Donnie rather than that big bulky lump of junk, I may not have ditched the series!
I understand what you mean. You're a ''on the edge'' kinda guy aren't ya?

Quote:
Lookin' sharp!
Sure does ! And the color job ain't too bad either !
__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
turtles_kolektor
Mad Scientist
 
turtles_kolektor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,478
Amazing! Plane amazing!
turtles_kolektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
That is awesome, some amazing coloring you did there!!!
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles_kolektor View Post
Amazing! Plane amazing!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
That is awesome, some amazing coloring you did there!!!
Thanks! Glad you like it !
__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 737
The coloring makes my artwork look a lot better than it really is! Fantastic job, man! Nice touch on the eyes!!
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliced View Post


I understand what you mean. You're a ''on the edge'' kinda guy aren't ya?
Some might say!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
The coloring makes my artwork look a lot better than it really is! Fantastic job, man! Nice touch on the eyes!!
Thanks ! But really, with or without colors, your artwork is awesome anyway... And I'm glad you dig the eyes ! I hesitated before adding them, glad to see I made the right choice.

Quote:
Some might say!
Don't be humble now...
__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #16
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
nice work!
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
looks very good
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
That is really amazing.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,189
While that is a great picture full of carefully done penceils and coloring it gives me nightmares of Image Comics!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Sliced
Stone Warrior
 
Sliced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 793
Thanks for the nice words you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
it gives me nightmares of Image Comics!
I'm not sure to understand what you mean there?
__________________
Sliced is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.