The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Vegeta
Hench Mutant
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 398
Music in the show

Is it just me or is the music in this show god awful? From the commercial friendly theme, to the cheesy guitars, to the constant bombardment of bad incidental music I feel the music really takes away from the show. I stayed away from it when it was on because I thought the intro was immediatley so unlikable.

After watching the film batman year zero and having my mind blown, I would love to see a tmnt animated movie or series with a decent score, it would add so much more to the atmosphere. I'm assuming with how bad the animation looks in the new nick show, the music probably wont be much better.
__________________
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
I loved the Foot theme and the various action music in the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Vegeta
Hench Mutant
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 398
I wish I could say the same
__________________
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Some of it was good - like the Foot theme and Oroku Saki theme. It got bad in Season 4. By FF and BttS it was the same five themes playing over and over again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
There were several songs that I really liked. Especially the foot theme.
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I very much disagree with your opinion on this matter, Saiyan Prince.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior
 
FlawedCoil82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 523
I loved the sinister Oroku Saki/Shredder theme, along with the Elite Guard theme and that solemn theme that they would play when a character was killed or something bad had happened (when the Triceraton got killed and they were saying their goodbyes at the dock and when the tarantula monster/mutant came above water and was looking at the place he was married at when hanging onto the buoy). There were a couple others I also liked.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
SherlockJr
Foot Soldier
 
SherlockJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The nearest Starbucks
Posts: 216
The only thing I can complain about is the theme song. Other than that, the music ranges from passable to good, in my opinion.
__________________
"SQUIRREL!!!"

SherlockJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

After watching the film batman year zero and having my mind blown
Say what???

But yes, I do think the TMNT could benefit from some great musical scores. The first-live action movie had some pretty good cues to it. Too bad the film score was never released.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo Mystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 904
I disagree. The music is one of the many things I like about this series. I liked a lot of the themes, most notably Splinter's.

The first episode had a few soundtracks that were actually never used again, such as the rooftop run. I know this as I pay very close attention especially to music. There is one from that episode heard on the Menu screen of all the DVDs and the episode list screen has one that has never been played in the series at all. I kind of like that one too. Has a good beat.

My favorite music would be from the episode "Darkness on the Edge of Town" when the turtles set out to investigate the first power failure. It later was played in full in the episode "The Christmas Aliens" as Michelangelo was going back home to the lair.
__________________

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Besides the main theme, I did like a lot of the music within the actual episodes.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Well, the OT was better in this department but the NT definately did a good job too.

How can you not get goosebumps when they fight the shredder and the foot for the first time on that rooftop in "The shredder strikes" and that music starts to play?
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
Yeah... I think he meant Year One.

But anyways, I loved the music of the show. I hate hate hate anything that had singing in it (from City at War and April's Artifact), but the background music was quite good. I'll admit they got lazy and repetitious around season 4, but still not bad.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
The music was good to me. I loved Shredder's theme, the Foot theme, and the Elite theme. I also loved the music that played during Shredder Strikes Back when Leo's fighting the Foot. That was cool.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
TobTurn
Foot Soldier
 
TobTurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I love the music in this series! I don't get why people dislike the theme, though. The first time I heard this part I got goosebumps:
(It starts around 1:25, and especially the part where Shredder comes up :p)



And then just the fight scene :p

And what about this:


(The intro ofcourse, and then just when the episode starts)
TobTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #16
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
The first time I heard the new theme, it was pretty abrasive to me. I tolerated it, but whereas in most places I considered the show such an improvement over the Old Toon that I got over my nostalgia in a hurry (though I've come to notice more flaws in the new show and more virtues in the old one since then), nothing could ever supplant the old theme in my heart or my head. It's not only the best TMNT theme song in my (and many other people's) opinion, I feel it might be my favorite TV theme song, ever. It took an extremely contrived phrase and made it into a rocking incantation that pumped people up, and the rest of its lyrics were very descriptive for a song that short. While my memory of some of the other OT elements had slipped by that time, I still knew all of those lyrics by heart. The new theme just blurts out the phrase once in a chorus that seems like an afterthought, which the title of a show shouldn't be, and I feel its other lyrics are actually fairly pretentious and hokey. I just get sick of hearing garbage about a warrior code that mandates warriors to abhor violence unless it's absolutely necessary, and how teamwork is great and runs to the bone. To the show's credit, it eventually improved the song substantially with new lyrics that described the turtles' individual personalities, which felt like a nice throwback to the original theme. (I wouldn't have used the term "wise guy" to describe Michelangelo; "goofball" might have been better, but oh well.) It still isn't as good as the old song, but what is? I also feel that, for all their problems elsewhere, the Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers theme songs were much catchier; maybe it was their faster tempo more in line with OT theme.

As to the actual score of the show, I tended to like it. One thing I picked up on is that it essentially used the same tactic as OT; that is, it used a dynamic soundtrack that played specific tunes for specific situations, locations, and characters. Obviously different tunes from the original, and of a darker tone, but the tactic was the same. It still uses slow, subtly music when not much more than conversations are happening, and faster, more exciting music when there's action going on. I have noticed that compared to the OT soundtrack, in which I could easily identify certain tracks as "The Technodrome Song," "The Channel Six News Song," "The Rocksteady and Bebop Song," and etc, without even seeing the images after a while, I can't really pick individual tracks out of the new show; they all seem to flow into each other more seemlessly and seem more like parts of a cohesive, ambient whole. I'm not saying that's better or worse; just different. The one theme I can pick out is the creepy music that played when Shredder said something menacing or reappeared, but I credit that more to the fact that he was in it a lot than it being truly memorable. I also thought the "Yooooo" scream that always played during it sounded too corny. I can't rewatch now without thinking of Soulja Boy, but even before he *****lapped the world with "Crank Dat," I thought that voice clip was dorky.

Still no; I didn't think the new show had "godawful" music at all. Even those songs with lyrics weren't really a problem for me, although I certainly wouldn't ever choose to listen to them on their own.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Vegeta
Hench Mutant
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 398
Well I admit I am a musician and am kind of a music snob...I just find most of the background music annoying. I did mean batman year one, sorry about that. Since I am in the minority here, I'll just have to assume I am being a whiney bitch
__________________
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Never saw any of the problem with the music in the actual series, although I do agree by Seasons 4/5 they started re-using the same tracks too often.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,180
I found the music for the show to be lackluster, as great as the show was music wasn't one of it's strong points. Look at how many iconic BGM the original show had and this one really didn't, they all seemed generic, the fact that I can not even recall most of them just goes to show how weak it was.

The Shredder theme wasn't too bad but way too short to be considered much, I loved the "tmnt theme" they introduced I believe in Fast Forward, it's the one they used for the Turtles Forever trailer, that one was really good but besides that meh. I love music so it's a shame that this show couldn't deliver better music.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #20
Jude
New Recruit
 
Jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Is there somewhere I can still get this music? I found an old thread but none of the links worked. Even the wayback machine couldn't do it.

I always kind of liked the music, I thought the way they used it in the show worked well.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.