The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Mind Blown.

I don't own all of the 2k3. Believe it or not, I just now watched Same As it Never Was. My mind is completely blown. What a dark episode. Mikey is so badass in it, but geez does he meet a violent death.

I can't believe there isn't even a conclusion at the end that makes you feel like everything is okay and resolved. You would think the episode would end with Donnie going back to present time and seeing his brothers again. No sir, it ends with Mikey, Raph, and Leo all dead, and Donnie gets zapped to some other time period.

My...mind...is...blown! I'm about to head over to Laird's blog and see his notes about this episode. I'm wondering if it was a completely hypothetical episode or if there was some truth to it in the 2k3 mythos...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Yeah it was a pretty badass episode. I wish I had that one on DVD. I really hope Nick releases the 2k3 series in its entirity on DVD this fall. I love Future Raph and the darker stories, it was a great episode.

Those unfamiliar with it check out a plot synopsis, I'm sure you find it online somewhere.

EDIT: Season 3, Episode 73 Overall. Plot Synopsis here: http://www.ninjaturtles.com/cartoon/...nopses/73.html
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Definitely. I can't find anything on Laird's blog as to his intentions with this episode...hm...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Definitely. I can't find anything on Laird's blog as to his intentions with this episode...hm...
Never fear for mikeandraph87 is here! I found it on his August 12th entry. Hope you find what you are looking for. If not Peter will be more than happy to answer it just as long as its on the TMNT blog and not the personal life and other drawings blog that you post a question.

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....4-re-tmnt.html

Do you post on his blog? I create this username just for that express purpose the day of the bittersweet sale.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 01-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Zachatello00
On the beat!
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hiding behind the phone booth
Posts: 2,131
wow, that is um, insanely dark. I'm going to have nightmares about a dead and stuffed Donatello...
__________________
"You're still news!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Neonardo.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
pl212
Stone Warrior
 
pl212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 813
One of the best episodes imo.
pl212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl212 View Post
One of the best episodes imo.
It would have been if it wasn't for killing everyone except April and Don. That part just seemed unneccessary but the premise of it was great.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
The deaths were sad, but it was necessary to the plot. I thought it added more depth to Don that he defeated Shredder but lost his brothers. I bet he was really upset for days to come after he got back from that little adventure.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
The deaths were sad, but it was necessary to the plot. I thought it added more depth to Don that he defeated Shredder but lost his brothers. I bet he was really upset for days to come after he got back from that little adventure.
It would have been fine if it had added something to his character and maybe carried over through another episode or two aside from him just being glad to see them. It was a missed plot opportunity. Kind of like how he was effected by Splinter saving him and his brothers from the blast in the time stream but only carry over for a few episodes until its resolved.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Yes, I agree, but that's what fan fiction is for. It's for us writers to delve more into things that may not have been explored in the cartoon itself.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I agree that this should have been a two-part episode, but as it is, wow it most certainly is one of the best eps. I think it's only ep that Mikey didn't joke around in, too!

I do have to ask, though...is Donnie really the glue of the team? I know that without him they would be severely crippled in getting out of tight situations in a pinch, they'd be crippled technologically, okay in many ways they would be in a deficit. Emotionally though, at a base emotional level, wouldn't Mikey be the "glue"? I mean, he gets along with each Turtle very well, and his counterbalance to their occasional outbursts of over-seriousness to me makes him more of the "glue".
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Yeah I agree, I think the glue of the team is definitely Mikey. I think he occasionaly plays dumb to take some heat and remarks from the other 3 to keep them from always being at each others throats. He definitely is a nice counter to the other 3s over seriousness at times.
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,676
Unfortunately... in the 2K3 series... he doesn't 'play' dumb... It still irritates me how they made Mikey so annoying to the degree that his own family doesn't even want him around. I mean seriously... by season 4 or whatever, everyone just sighed and rolled their eyes whenever they had to share a scene with him.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Unfortunately... in the 2K3 series... he doesn't 'play' dumb... It still irritates me how they made Mikey so annoying to the degree that his own family doesn't even want him around. I mean seriously... by season 4 or whatever, everyone just sighed and rolled their eyes whenever they had to share a scene with him.
Mikey's jokes were actually pretty good.

In the first five episodes. Mainly all Mikey did the rest of the series was ruin other jokes or make bad ones.

Like in "The Golden Puck", when Casey says stealing the puck is like stealing apple pie - it's a funny joke, until Mikey asks throughout the whole episode, "Where's the pie?"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I understand that a lot of people don't like 2k3 Mike, but I find him very enjoyable, and watching the 2k3 was what actually made me contemplate (and still does) changing my favorite Turtle to Michelangelo. Plus, he had a ton of heart in the series and in my opinion, he was the best fighter (albeit the least technical).
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Unfortunately... in the 2K3 series... he doesn't 'play' dumb... It still irritates me how they made Mikey so annoying to the degree that his own family doesn't even want him around. I mean seriously... by season 4 or whatever, everyone just sighed and rolled their eyes whenever they had to share a scene with him.
If Peter Laird overseeing the series it surprises me that they were allowed to do this to such a degree. Twonsend Coleman's Michelangelo was never annoying his brothers and the whole slapping him upside the head even Splinter.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
It would have been if it wasn't for killing everyone except April and Don. That part just seemed unneccessary but the premise of it was great.
No that's what makes it so dark and gritty!

Joking aside the episode is alright but there's plenty in season 4 that are better written, stylistically darker in the animation, and without senselessly murdering characters for shock value. But that's just my opinion. I think the episode would have been much stronger as a 2 parter. It felt rather rushed.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No that's what makes it so dark and gritty!

Joking aside the episode is alright but there's plenty in season 4 that are better written, stylistically darker in the animation, and without senselessly murdering characters for shock value. But that's just my opinion. I think the episode would have been much stronger as a 2 parter. It felt rather rushed.
That is what I was saying. It seemed to be done for shock value which is overdone in superhero stories.

Leonardo got darker with his season 4 storyline and the mutation of Donatello was styllstically in both animation and plot. A well-characerized story that indirectly lead into the next season. I have alot of praise for the continuity of this show. Its hardly done any better in other cartoons or comics than this was.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
A well-characerized story that indirectly lead into the next season. I have alot of praise for the continuity of this show. Its hardly done any better in other cartoons or comics than this was.
I have to agree with you I loved how the show had a continuity with the story line. Love the show, better than the OT imo.
But I still think the OT had more potential.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.