The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Why the hate for garbageman

I'm not a big fan of garbageman or something, but I don't get the hate so many fans seem to have for him. Granted he is pretty unrealistic establishing a garbage empire and then an underwater empire, but it's not like I felt the episodes he was in were terrible. They were still entertaining when I first watched 'em.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
He was just a lame villain. Honestly, I saw him as the equivalent to that Batman: TAS guy who had the family of runaways in the sewer or whatever.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
He's just that... scrappy?

He's lame, the story where he's the main villain is boring, and... well, he's lame.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
For the tone of the series he seemed...off. Part of me wonders if he was a back-handed "homage" to the Fred Wolf series.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
He probably would have been liked more if Nightmares Recycled wasn't cancelled. Wasn't that episode supposed to be about his origin with Hun?
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
He probably would have been liked more if Nightmares Recycled wasn't cancelled. Wasn't that episode supposed to be about his origin with Hun?
They were suppose to do a origin episode, but I dont know the name of the ep.
There was a thread about Laird blog and production notes.
The ep seemed really graphic and in all honesty might have gotten shelved like insane to the membrane.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Yeah, all Redeemer just said is about Nightmare Recycled.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Honestly, I saw him as the equivalent to that Batman: TAS guy who had the family of runaways in the sewer or whatever.
Really? Cause I saw his story being very similar to the Batman:TAS episode where a bunch of homeless people are kidnapped and forced to do hard labor for some fat slob.

Personally, I found the garbageman's episodes to be very boring. Fortunately there was only a couple of them. However, I think that the third one might've been kinda interesting since it would've involved Hun. How ironic that Hun was (at least to me) a very interesting character,and the garbageman (who was going to be revealed to be Hun's twin) was (again, at least to me) a very boring character.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
He really was just straight up lame, man. Bad design, bad motives, just not good at all.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
He was just a lame villain. Honestly, I saw him as the equivalent to that Batman: TAS guy who had the family of runaways in the sewer or whatever.
Really? Plot seemed more like it was ripped off from "The Forgotten" rather than "The Underdwellers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For the tone of the series he seemed...off. Part of me wonders if he was a back-handed "homage" to the Fred Wolf series.
I don't know about backhanded. I thought his first episode was an outstanding homage to the OT. It had a cheesy villain, the turtles interacting with humans, "surfing" on impossible objects, trenchcoats/fedoras, and what I'm pretty sure was the series' first full on "cowabunga".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
He really was just straight up lame, man. Bad design, bad motives, just not good at all.
Bad motives is right, for sure. I mean, yeah he's getting slave labor out of the homeless guys... but he's got to be paying those armed guards quite well. And for that matter, how much money could he possibly be making running a garbage dump? Aren't all garbage collection companies at least partially city or county operated?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
He wasn't great, but I liked him okay. I'm not going to be clamoring for IDW or Nick to revisit him though...
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist
 
FearlessLeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Watching Space Heroes
Posts: 1,048
He just was not an interesting character, who I probably wouldn't have minded as much had he not gotten a second episode that I was forced to sit through

There were just so many other possibilities for story lines they could have done that it felt like a complete waste literally for them to have two with him.
__________________

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
I actually like that ep bc of Mikey. Mikey is jst awesome
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
The fact that the turtles themselves laugh at the absurdity of the character says enough to me. I don't care for the episode.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Monsters

He was at lest better than a lof of strange monsters in the 2003 show.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #16
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For the tone of the series he seemed...off. ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uki View Post
He wasn't great, but I liked him okay. I'm not going to be clamoring for IDW or Nick to revisit him though...
Agree, He was poor as character-villain (Is it meaning of lame? :? ) ...I dont hate the character tho.
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
He was awful. I hated him and thought the episodes he had were boring. Maybe "Nightmares Recycled" could've redeemed him in some way, but as for the two eps he was in, I didn't like them.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Simply put, Garbageman is just watching some garbage! I would have changed the script to make it more educationally friendly, such as destroying all of the recycled matter that upsets citizens, but I think that they came up with the name because of how similar it sounds to "Shredder". After trash goes through a shredder, it is garbage. And the Garbageman episodes simply seem like plot material that are Shredder's leftovers: in other words, garbage.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
The first Garbageman episode was actually fairly decent.

The one in Season 2 was horrible and one of the worst episodes of the first 5 seasons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The one in Season 2 was horrible and one of the worst episodes of the first 5 seasons.
Really? It's not even in my "top 5 worst" of season 2.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.