The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
Toning for issues 33 and 43

I just realized that out of all 62 issues in vol one, 33 and 43 are the only two issues NOT done using duoshade. 33 was the lone colored issue done by Richard Corben and 43 was the second issue by A. C. Farley (he used duoshade on the first issue). The color issue I see why he didn’t use duoshade, but I'm curious to why Farley didn’t use it on his last book.

duoshade gave black and white comics an amazing grittiness. with duoshade being gone with the wind now, i guess if someone wanted to capture a similar feeling/look they would probably have to do various shades of grey with copic markers. although Farley did a good job achieving a similar level of grittieness in Hall's of Lost Legends just by using his cross hatching and such.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
There is a Photshop App that lets you mimick the duoshade effects on the computer. It's not quite the same but it's close enough.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior
 
Abnormal Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 779
I've always liked that that Farley issue doesn't have tones; I think they would have cluttered up the artwork.
__________________
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
I'll find out about Farley... was wondering that myself but I've always forgotten to ask.

About the Corben issue, Corben does one style: Corben style. And that doesn't involve duotones.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
A.C. Farley:

I only duo-shaded my first book to match the other Mirage books. I took the finished book, without shading, to show Pete and Kevin. It was drawn on the duo-shade paper, so it could be shaded. Kevin said it didn't need it, and that they wanted to send it to the printer the next day. However, I still wanted my book to 'fit', you know? The Mirage look. So I took the whole, finished book home and laid all the pages all over my studio. On the floor, and any flat surface available. Everything was covered in comics. Then I started at one spot and went all around the room with the light shader. Then next, I started over and went all around the room with the dark shader. It took all night. So the next morning I showed up with all the pages shaded and ready to go. I was so pleased at the reaction. They didn't expect me back the next day with that book all shaded. I love to do things like that.

I didn't shade the second book because I didn't think it would help the art. I worked so hard on the drawing, I didn't want to cover it up with that mechanical hatching. I hate the lettering in the #43. I should have done it myself.

-Craig
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
ahh...

with all the cross hatching i figured someone felt it didnt need it. it truely does fit the mirage style even without the duoshade. actually it took me a couple years to even catch that it wasnt duoshaded, lol.

its funny he hated the way mary kelleher lettered the book. honestly, i dont see what's wrong with the lettering. however, i do like his lettering in #29 better though.

thanks ANDB for asking him that.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.