The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Do the TMNT deserve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

With the Academy Awards happening this evening and reading Nancy Cartwright's book, I came up with this idea. The Simpsons, Kermit the Frog, Big Bird, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Mickey Mouse, and Donald Duck all have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame despite being fictional. That said, with the return of the TMNT to the spotlight, if this relaunch is a real success, to you feel that the Turtles are worthy of a star on the WOF?
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist
 
FearlessLeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Watching Space Heroes
Posts: 1,048
Sure, I really see no reason for them not to have one. They have done as much for people as other fictional characters and hopefully are really going to prove themselves as a staying commodity.
__________________

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
There is a lot of politics behind who does and doesn't get a star. I think the only way the TMNT would ever get one is if a studio backed it up as publicity for a new movie (be it the upcoming one or one beyond that).
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I totally think they deserve one, but the chances of that are very slim.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
I don't see why not. They are popular enough to be on it.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,778
Does Batman or Spiderman have one? If they don't, I doubt TMNT will.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I totally think they deserve one, but the chances of that are very slim.
Hey, you never know. The Rugrats have a star on there. Who's to say Nick won't try to do the same for the Turtles?
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,294
Here's a list of the fictional characters with stars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_Walk_of_Fame
The Rugrats? Really...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior
 
Dirty Blond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 827
When you walk down Hollywood Blvd you will see names you hardly recognize.

I think the Turtles, if not Eastman & Laird, deserve stars on the Walk of Fame.
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,294
Here's a bit on the nomination process:
http://www.walkoffame.com/pages/nominations

or this:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Each year, an average of 200 nominations are submitted to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Walk of Fame Selection Committee. Anyone, including fans, can nominate anyone active in the field of entertainment, as long as the nominee or his or her management is in agreement with the nomination (a letter of agreement from the nominated celebrity or representative must accompany the application). Nominees must have a minimum of five years' experience in the category for which they are nominated and a history of "charitable contributions". Posthumous nominees must have been deceased at least five years. At a meeting each June, the committee selects approximately 20 celebrities to receive stars on the Walk of Fame during the following year. One posthumous award is given each year as well. The nominations of those not selected are "rolled over" to the following year for reconsideration; those not selected two years in a row are dropped, and must be renominated to receive further consideration. Living recipients must agree to personally attend a presentation ceremony within five years of selection. A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations. Presentation ceremonies are open to the public.

The most common question received by Chamber personnel is, "Why doesn't _____________ have a star?" Numerous major entertainment figures and legendary show business acts are not included on the Walk of Fame, for a variety of reasons. Some, such as Julia Roberts and Clint Eastwood, have declined to participate; nominations cannot proceed without the nominee's consent. Others, such as George Clooney and John Denver, were nominated but would not agree to the mandatory personal appearance at the unveiling ceremony. Others have simply never been nominated, or do not have a nominator willing or able to pay the selection fee, or have less than the required five years' minimum involvement in their designated field. Others are merely victims of selection constraints and probability: only about 10% of nominees are selected each year.

A fee (currently $30,000), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the honoree's current or ongoing project. The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash. It was unveiled in March 2010, shortly before Hopper's death.
So, any Turtle fans willing to foot the $30,000 bill. (No pun intended)
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
I certainly think so, definitely a lot more deserving than some of those other fictional characters.
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Does Batman or Spiderman have one? If they don't, I doubt TMNT will.
This is exactly what I was thinking. If Superman doesn't have a star, then I doubt the TMNT would get one.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
If every active member on just this forum contributed just $20, that would pay for the star. And for the location, I'd put it right next to a sewer cover/storm drain.

But I'd say Nick would support Spongebob before TMNT since it is their flagship franchise, plus it would also be the longest title for a member on the WOF. But first, we need that successful comeback to have a legitimate shot, considering that TMNT has never been nominated for an Annie Award.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!

Last edited by pannoni1; 02-27-2012 at 08:24 AM.
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
juxtapose519
Foot Soldier
 
juxtapose519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Posts: 176
As much as I love TMNT, I'm going to have to say no. There are far more deserving fictional characters that would have to come first.

It's true that they've managed to stick around for more than 25 years, but they're nowhere near as popular now as they were at their peak in the early 90's. Back then I would eat Ninja Turtles cereal for breakfast, Ninja Turtles Spaghetti-O's for lunch and Ninja Turtles macaroni and cheese for dinner. They will probably never die, but their "worldwide sensation" phase was relatively short-lived.

When you compare them to the other characters on the list (with a few exceptions [Rugrats... what the hell?]), they're really not in the same league as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny. As many have said, TMNT definitely won't get a star until Superman does.
__________________

Collection | Trade
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
TMNT peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post
As much as I love TMNT, I'm going to have to say no. There are far more deserving fictional characters that would have to come first.

It's true that they've managed to stick around for more than 25 years, but they're nowhere near as popular now as they were at their peak in the early 90's. Back then I would eat Ninja Turtles cereal for breakfast, Ninja Turtles Spaghetti-O's for lunch and Ninja Turtles macaroni and cheese for dinner. They will probably never die, but their "worldwide sensation" phase was relatively short-lived.

When you compare them to the other characters on the list (with a few exceptions [Rugrats... what the hell?]), they're really not in the same league as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny. As many have said, TMNT definitely won't get a star until Superman does.
They're on their way to that. Even Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and Superman have peaked. But you can never avoid that the TMNT had some amazing years (1989-1994) when the entire Earth shouted "-Cowabunga" when eating pizza, and history is very important.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
Absolutely!
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
No, I don't think so. As much as I love the turtles, I don't think they've contributed enough to warrant that sort of thing.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant
 
TMNT-Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 265
They were the longest running cartoon at one point, but there's not much other than that. As much as I'd like them to have a star, I really don't see it happening. The franchise tends to go in loops. It's popular, then fades down, raises again, then starts to fade into obscurity before starting to come back a bit again.
__________________
Turtle Power!
TMNT-Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,360
Quote:
history is very important.
History has better things to do than honour a niche product that has failed to recapture it's glory years despite constant prescense in the public consciousness.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uki View Post
Absolutely!
Agree!!! !! Turtle power!!!!
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.