The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "Raphael"?
RAF-AY-EL 14 58.33%
RAH-FEYE-EL 8 33.33%
RAFFY-EL 1 4.17%
None of these. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant
 
shezcrafti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The East warehouse over at Lairdman island.
Posts: 367
How do you pronounce "Raphael"?

Yes I know this is a silly thread. I'm in a weird mood.

I'm genuinely curious -- do you pronounce "Raphael" as RAF-AY-EL or RAH-FEYE-EL? (Or something totally different?)

Me, I tend to say RAF-AY-EL because it makes more sense when shortened to "Raph." But Splinter seems to prefer RAH-FEYE-EL. I've also heard people pronounce it RAFFY-EL which kinda makes me cringe.

What's your preference?
__________________
Shellebrating 25+ Years of TMNT History [Infographic]



All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:

Last edited by shezcrafti; 03-26-2012 at 07:11 PM.
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
I was always bugged by Barry Gordon's Raffy-el, too. I tend to pronounce it Raf-ay-el.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I pronounce it as Rafael
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
"Raffy-el" is the best because it gives immediate rise to the nickname "Raffy-boy."
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was always bugged by Barry Gordon's Raffy-el, too. I tend to pronounce it Raf-ay-el.
I tend to use the latter, but I mispronounce words all the time, so I won't critcize anyone with the former too much. Another question with the 87 series, can you tell with the pronouning of Michelangelo vs. Michaelangelo? That would make for a fun thread, too.

Exit question: Does Raffy-el make anyone else think of Raffi, the children singer?
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Now that you mention it...

I also think that Michelangelo and Michaelangelo really have no pronunciation difference, thus the misspelling.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Going solely on the topic title: Raff-EE-ell.
__________________

Last edited by Venom; 03-26-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant
 
shezcrafti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The East warehouse over at Lairdman island.
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Going solely on the topic title: Raff-EE-ell.
Oooh. Against the grain.
__________________
Shellebrating 25+ Years of TMNT History [Infographic]



All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Pretty sure I say it differently at different times... Raph eye ell, Raph a ell, etc.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezcrafti View Post
Oooh. Against the grain.
Heh, I mostly call him "Raph" though,
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant
 
shezcrafti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The East warehouse over at Lairdman island.
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Heh, I mostly call him "Raph" though,
Me too.
__________________
Shellebrating 25+ Years of TMNT History [Infographic]



All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist
 
FearlessLeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Watching Space Heroes
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I tend to pronounce it Raf-ay-el.
Me also!
__________________

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
RAF-AY-EL. That's how Mr. Paulsen pronounces it himself. Ditto with Mikey. However, April said it all three ways over the course of the series!
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
The poll should really have an "All of the above" choice, but oh well.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
The poll should really have an "All of the above" choice, but oh well.
You pronounce a word 3 different ways?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Yea, I've done it different ways before. You know the saying: Po-tay-to, Pa-ta-to!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was always bugged by Barry Gordon's Raffy-el, too. I tend to pronounce it Raf-ay-el.
Michelangelo seemed to be the only one who could pronounce his name right.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
THE-RED-ONE
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #19
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Spanish form: RA-Fa-El .... That "Fa " I mean ...exactly that"A" sounds like "Fat" or "Cat" ...

I wonder how it sounds for other far countries fans? Turtles-kolector? Czuri?...
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #20
the fixer
Hench Mutant
 
the fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BELGIUM
Posts: 395
Rahf - eye - ell.
Turtley...
the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.