The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Question to IDW: could IDW use the Mutanimals?

Hey, I was wondering, since IDW now has the TMNT lisensce, would the ever consider bringing back the mighty Mutanimals in some form? It's been so long since we've seen these guys, and 'd love to see them ethier as allies of the Turtles, or in thier own spin-off book. I know that many people feel that too many mutants ruin the turtles/make them feel less special, but when you have tons of anthro aliens running around, that whole concept makes the specialness on the TMNT go straight out the window.

My roster, taken from the turtles' allied mutants, would be:

1.) Ray Fillet
2.) Mondo Gecko
3.) Wingnut/Screwloose
4.) Mona lisa
5.) Ninjara (or Aeoplex)
6.) Ace Duck

They could come from all those mutating animals we saw in the Cages in the Raph microseries issue. What does everybody else think?
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Since they are using Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, anything is possible. Once the Krang/Neutrino arc gets fully swinging, Wingnut/Screwloose probably wouldn't feel as out of place, providing IDW goes with the Archie characterization and backstory. Since Krang in this version is coming off as a real SOB, it wouldn't be difficult at all to see him or his troops commit genocide on Huanu. As for the others, I personally have no problems with the other Mutanimals showing up, if introduced and written properly (and, most importantly, not overused).

And if so, they should wait until after the Krang/Baxter arc and possibly after this "Ninja War" that has been alluded and foreshadowed about. Having so many mutant animals running around so early -- besides the Turtles, there's currently Hob, Apolex and eventually Bebop/Rocksteady --, could be rather jarring.

While we're at it, someone should make a matching thread with the Mirage superheroes (e.g., Nobody, Metalhead) as the same argument also applies to them. Thus, re-sparking the always fun "mutant animals in other TMNT media vs. superheroes in Mirage" debate, etc.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Its possible. I doubt we'll ever see Ninjara though because Alopex is too similar a character.

And Ace Duck is an alien, not a mutant.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its possible. I doubt we'll ever see Ninjara though because Alopex is too similar a character.

And Ace Duck is an alien, not a mutant.
Wingnut and Screwloose are aliens too. And Ninjara wasn't a mutant either.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
But Ace Duck was never associated with the Mutanimals.

Likewise I always saw merdude an as unofficial member. Napoleon and Mona Lisa joining would be fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
I was never a fan of them. Leatherhead was the only one I liked and he was a good human opposed to an evi mutant gator. Despite that I never got why they were killed off. Yeah, I know ot was poor sales,but just make them either disband or just appear once every several storylines.

Shaking up the turtles allies alligence with different members may work. It depends on who is in it and if the storyline makes sense for it to happen. I want to see other mutants but to take time for each story element already in play to develop before Leatherhead or Slash or any good or bad mutant returns. I want to see Krang's background fleshed out. At this point I am more interested in that than the "war" Shredder is involved in.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its possible. I doubt we'll ever see Ninjara though because Alopex is too similar a character.

And Ace Duck is an alien, not a mutant.
I agree about Alopex taking Ninjara's place, but didn't Ace Duck's toy bio implied he was accidentially mutated by Krang? The only media where Ace Duck had characterization, yes, had him as alien, but it isn't fixed, either. After all, look at Leatherhead and how many altered origins he's had. Or as TMNT Entity rightly opined about Wingnut and his various versions, "Wingnut's anything you want him to be."

Anyway, I'm with mikeandraph, as "I'm in the mood with aliens and ninjas, so other mutants not named Hob/Alopex/Bebop/Rocksteady and possibly Leatherhead can wait."

I'd love to see Mona Lisa again, but it would get past Eastman? Hmm...
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
I thought the Mutanimals were decent characters but the fact that they're mostly remembered that they all died says a lot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior
 
ctt4lfecw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Neutrino
Posts: 817
Im all for it.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,399
I would love to see "lost stories" with the Mutanimals in the TMNTA Archieverse or something such, but no, not interested in seeing them come to fruition in IDW TMNT at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
At first, I would've said no, because that's not the kind of stories I wanted to see from IDW. Now, given the route they're going, I wouldn't mind them at all. I'm not saying this necessarily as a bad thing. I love the Mutanimals, and if IDW did it right and took their time, I think they could fit in their universe.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
I love the Mutanimals too. But right now, I'd prefer that they focus on the main story arcs. The Oroku-Hamato war should take priority in any incarnation. But I would definitely love to see them later on down the line. With mutants already springing out of nowhere, who knows...
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior
 
tmnt transformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Okoto
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And Ace Duck is an alien, not a mutant.
Ace Duck was a mutant according to the file card.
tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
Ace Duck was a mutant according to the file card.
Who cares about the damn file cards. He's an alien from the planet Perdufus in the actual Archie comics so that's all that matters.

Comics, TV shows, movies > Toys/merch/promotional material. It's not difficult math.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior
 
tmnt transformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Okoto
Posts: 757
I have never read the archie comics............Besides a planet full of giant ducks is kind of goofy.
tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Technically Slash was from an alien Turtle planet in the Archie series. I wonder if he's from the same alien planet that Michael Bay's Turtles are from?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
I have never read the archie comics............Besides a planet full of giant ducks is kind of goofy.
Awww u hurt the wittle feelings of everybody from Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Quack Pack, Howard the Duck's homeworld, Mighty Ducks homeworld....
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
I have never read the archie comics............Besides a planet full of giant ducks is kind of goofy.
I don't disagree with that. But the cardboard back of a action figure hardly trumps an actual in-story origin.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Wingnut and Screwloose are aliens too. And Ninjara wasn't a mutant either.
Other than Mondo, Ray and LH most of the Mutanimals weren't actual mutants. They were either aliens or evolved species of animals on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I would love to see "lost stories" with the Mutanimals in the TMNTA Archieverse or something such, but no, not interested in seeing them come to fruition in IDW TMNT at all.
I'd like that too but I don't think they were active long enough as a group to merit an ongoing series. I suppose it could take place in a universe alternate to the TMNT Adventures one were they lived.

It's probably up in the air but from what I'm seeing, a version of the mutanimals wouldn't be too out of place in the TMNT's corner of the IDWverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Awww u hurt the wittle feelings of everybody from Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Quack Pack, Howard the Duck's homeworld, Mighty Ducks homeworld....
Never watched Mighty Ducks but it's pretty established that all those other universes were full of anthropomorphised animals in general, not just ducks.

I believe Steve Gerber hated it when another writer erroneously portrayed Howard the Duck's world as full of ducks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But the cardboard back of a action figure hardly trumps an actual in-story origin.
The Archie version of Ace Duck is so nonedescript that it could have been any Playmates figure or even an original character. I suppose personal preference for the version that came first and was more thought out might trump Archie's "let's make him an alien" (are you listening Bay?)

If a planet of muscle bound ducks isn't weird enough, a planet of turtles were one just happens to dress just like the Terran TMNT takes the cake imo.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
I don't like the character of Ace Duck at all, I am glad he only had a cameo in the original cartoon on TV, so he wasn't even a "real" character in that show.

Fred Wolf/Playmates created some really stupid animal mutants back in the 90's, but some of them definitely stand out as being cool and memorable. That being said once you have too many animal mutants it kind of becomes too much.

The last thing we need is for Earth to be populated with tons of humanoid animal characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.