The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
psych23232323
Foot Soldier
 
psych23232323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 231
Question about Ninja Turtles 1990 DVD movie

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

But a little about me; I've watched TMNT since the 1987 animated tv series.

Seen all 4 movies, favorite is the 1st one which is live action made in 1990.

Don't care too much for Next Mutation because Saban made them act goofy and that crossover with the Power Rangers made them goofier, in my opinion.

I've also seen the 2003 series.

Anyway, I had a question about the DVD version of the 1st live action Ninja Turtles movie.

I heard that with the scene where the Ninja Turtles are sparring with each other at the farm, that Leo's blindfold session is shown entirely.

I have the VHS version and it does show part of Leo's session where he is intimadating Raph and then he blocks Raph's sai's easily but does the DVD show the whole thing?

Does the German version show all of Leo's sparring session? Dang I wish they showed the whole thing cause I heard the movie theater version showed the whole sparring session at the farm.
psych23232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I don't think there's ever been a longer version available to the public, but I'll check for ya. The German DVD is 3 minutes shorter for some reason. I'm told it's due to a speed-up effect from the NTSC to PAL process. Still, I think it's more likely that they just spliced in obviously extended scenes from the US version, but missed a few that weren't so obvious.

BTW, welcome.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
psych23232323
Foot Soldier
 
psych23232323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 231
Thanks so much gobo.

I am getting the US DVD version through NetFlix, so when I see that version, I'll post about whether or not the sparring scene was longer or not.

Thanks. Hope to contribute to this forum a lot.
psych23232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych23232323 View Post
Thanks. Hope to contribute to this forum a lot.
That's all we ask for...

The only real extension of that scene I remember was a kid's book released back in the day.

That one...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
psych23232323
Foot Soldier
 
psych23232323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 231
I won't let you down.

Thanks for the info, I'll post about the DVD when I see it.
psych23232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
I have the US DVD it dosent show the farm scene. I got mine in the three pack so It might be different. Are you talking about the 25th anniversary rerelease?
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
The movies are all the same cut. The only bonuses you get in the German cut are the extended ending and some deleted scenes that were used to replace nunchucks in the European cut...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior
 
DonatelloDomeHead31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helping Casey Jones fix the Pick-Up Truck
Posts: 878
I posted something about this in another thread:

on the U.S DVD ninja turtles (1990) I have the full screen and the letterbox version.

the scene where Donatello and Michaelangelo are dancing during the "Tequila" music, in both versions, Mikey does something different.

In one version, he's dancing while saying, "Well this is like meditation" (his mouth never moves)

and in the other version, he stops dancing, and shrugs while saying "Well this is like meditation" (and his mouth moves)

I think the full screen version has the "still dancing talking" part and the letterbox has the other.

Just thought i'd mention this while we're on the subject of the DVD.
__________________

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
RiseAbove873
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych23232323 View Post
I heard that with the scene where the Ninja Turtles are sparring with each other at the farm, that Leo's blindfold session is shown entirely.

I have the VHS version and it does show part of Leo's session where he is intimadating Raph and then he blocks Raph's sai's easily but does the DVD show the whole thing?

Huh? I don't recall that scene at all. Sounds awesome.
RiseAbove873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus Indiana
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove873 View Post
Huh? I don't recall that scene at all. Sounds awesome.
It's just right after when Shredder says "From the past.." and it was a quick shot of Leo sparring with his mask sideways towards Raph and into the series of shots of the Turtles training but mostly Mikey is the one being attacked.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
I love that movie and rewatched it in the past 11 years(that was when I bought my vhs british copy from blockbuster video...) of my life so often that I know everything by heart easilybut I too didn't pay close attention to the fact that leonardo practises blindfolded there...but I memorize his motions and that makes sense...loved how mikes nunchuku defend the katana in one of these scenes by the way...
to add to the question:I have the german dvd(I live in germany) and as I mentioned my other copy is the british cut on video...sparring session isn't longer at all in it, sorry.BUT if you check out another thread on this forum about the upcomming tmnt documentary there is a chance that we'll see more scenes, more stuff from the first movie that has never been share with anyone so far...keep your fingers crossed with us, as there may very likely be more sparring stuff in this footage(just follow the thread and listen to this interview about it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzA07qud07I)

one thing that is different between those releases is the fight with the foot in april's appartment is cut differently, I prefer the english version, even if it lacks michelangelos nuchuku action, but the dynamic fits much better with the music and there is ONE scene just before everybody is waiting for the floor to crash in where we see leonardo with a grim face and he is holding his swords in a cool way that always stood out to me and is missing from the us version)...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo87 View Post
It's just right after when Shredder says "From the past.." and it was a quick shot of Leo sparring with his mask sideways towards Raph and into the series of shots of the Turtles training but mostly Mikey is the one being attacked.
Oh, that... On my double-sided DVD of the movie, the fullscreen side has that scene run 25 seconds, but the wide side has it a full half-minute.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior
 
Mona_Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 516
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's all we ask for...

The only real extension of that scene I remember was a kid's book released back in the day.

That one...
I had that book!!!!! But.... My dog ate it.....
Stupid dog….
__________________
Mona_Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
psych23232323
Foot Soldier
 
psych23232323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 231
Thanks for all the info.

I do look foward to that documentary being made.
psych23232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior
 
Abnormal Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatello27 View Post
I posted something about this in another thread:

on the U.S DVD ninja turtles (1990) I have the full screen and the letterbox version.

the scene where Donatello and Michaelangelo are dancing during the "Tequila" music, in both versions, Mikey does something different.

In one version, he's dancing while saying, "Well this is like meditation" (his mouth never moves)

and in the other version, he stops dancing, and shrugs while saying "Well this is like meditation" (and his mouth moves)

I think the full screen version has the "still dancing talking" part and the letterbox has the other.

Just thought i'd mention this while we're on the subject of the DVD.
This is weird. I checked out my brother's DVD and the full frame version oddly doesn't have Mikey stopping to say the line. Thing is, I've always remembered Mikey saying that line and his body movement, so I popped in my brother's original VHS tape and it's there. I don't know why the full frame version on the DVD doesn't have Mikey stopping to say the line, but just shows more footage of him and Donny dancing while he speaks it (as you said, without moving his lips, of course). Totally weird.
__________________
Abnormal Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.