The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
arkangel
Hench Mutant
 
arkangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 444
Volkswagon on issue 4 cover

I'm working on a display for my Neca turtles and was wondering if anyone has identified the VW minibus/van on the issue #4 cover of the original TMNT comic. Judging from the style of the front bumper and the small circular signal lights above the main headlights, I'm guessing that it's a Volkswagon Transporter T1 circa 1964 ? Pics of the Transporter T2 show a more modern bumper.


I've also received a crash course in action figure scale but am still undecided if the 5 and a 1/4 inch NECA figures are best suited to a 1:12 scale vehicle or the larger 1:10 scale.

Insights and opinions most welcome.
Clark
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,068
You mean issue #3 here?

I would hazard a guess to that as well. My great aunt used to have a Transporter v2 so I recall what that looked like, and I was pleasantly surprised to see something very similar on issue #3 when I eventually got hold of that issue.
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
arkangel
Hench Mutant
 
arkangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 444
Smile

You're right. It was issue 3.
The front end looks just like the 62 VW Samba, but the comic book pics show the van as being much shorter in length with only 3 side windows rather than 5.
Sun Star (one of the best die cast collectible car companies) makes an incredible 1/12 scale 62 samba but I'm not sure I've identified the exact year and model yet. Maybe Eastman simply used a bit of creative license in the original comic series?
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
excuse me guys, but you are all wrong about this one so far, I know it because that car has always been special to me...on issue three of the original mirage tmnt comics that is a volkswaen bulli, a rare automobile over here these days, that is very expensive if you're interested in it...
here is a photo of one...http://www.google.de/imgres?q=vw+bul...7&tx=107&ty=54
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
dude those are my dream cars......
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
arkangel
Hench Mutant
 
arkangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 444
thanks Marcelangelo.
T1, T2, Sambi, Bulli, Kombi, Splittie, 1950 to 1967, and all the various styles.
You need a team to wade through it all.
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
arkangel
Hench Mutant
 
arkangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 444
This looks like a good match. Too bad it doesn't come in 1/12th scale.

http://jayland.en.alibaba.com/produc..._18_SCALE.html

If Sun Star continues to produce different variations of their 1/12 scale VW minibuses I may have to pick one up. Not sure if I could dent and weather such a gorgeous replica though. lol Reminds me of the SW prop fans that would actually desecrate a genuine german mauser (no not the robot mouse) to make an authentic Han blaster.

For now, I have a couple of Cowabunga Carl vans on their way that I'm anxious to customize. One will be April's blue van from the comics (thanks to SalemCrow's inspired work) and the other will be a Channel 6 news van.
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.