The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
TMNT: A Love Letter to the Adoptive Family?

So discussion tangented greatly from a thread about the the cover of the second IDW Archie collection to the Turtles and their family dynamic, and it made me think, is the story of the TMNT the ultimate tale of a family formed by adoption? Hear me out.

The Turtles may or may not be related by blood, but their father is defiantly not a blood relative. April and Casey could also be added to this adoptive family. Heck, Casey isn't Shadow's biological father, but she's as much his daughter as the Turtles are Splinter's sons. You could even see Leatherhead and the Utroms as another case of the characters being related to their closest familial bonds by adoption.

So what are your thoughts?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So discussion tangented greatly from a thread about the the cover of the second IDW Archie collection to the Turtles and their family dynamic, and it made me think, is the story of the TMNT the ultimate tale of a family formed by adoption? Hear me out.

The Turtles may or may not be related by blood, but their father is defiantly not a blood relative. April and Casey could also be added to this adoptive family. Heck, Casey isn't Shadow's biological father, but she's as much his daughter as the Turtles are Splinter's sons. You could even see Leatherhead and the Utroms as another case of the characters being related to their closest familial bonds by adoption.

So what are your thoughts?
I don't think it's a love letter to the "adoptive family," so much as just themes of happenstance and coming together, but yes, I believe it's a solid aspect of TMNT. Or at least I hope it is/kind of assume it is/think it should be.

I added another post to the thread where this discussion originated, but I never assumed, even as a kid, that they were blood brothers.

And the more I get into the series, the more I like it, because it adds an extra layer to just about every universe. In all but ... ugh, IDW ... there's a serious motif of accidents and coincidences going on, making the most of your circumstances, etc. Being a makeshift family is part of that, no matter how much it's brought to the fore. It's present from Splinter raising the Turtles in any given universe to Mirage Vol. 1 ending with, "April ... daughter." (The last line we hear from the main cast and hot off the heals of meeting Shadow, as you pointed out.)

Again, it's not always addressed, but I don't see why you wouldn't want it to be the case. In the face of all the other themes of coming together and making the most of things that are part of almost every single TMNT universe, having the Turtles be (and somehow know they are) conveniently blood-related just kind of cheapens things.

I know there are some people who consider Leo acknowledging this to be one of the great sins of The Next Mutation, but even when I heard that line for the first time in fourth or fifth grade, my reaction was, "Well, duh. Were we supposed to think otherwise?"

Last edited by Cipher; 06-28-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I know there are some people who consider Leo acknowledging this to be one of the great sins of The Next Mutation, but even when I heard that line for the first time in fourth or fifth grade, my reaction was, "Well, duh. Were we supposed to think otherwise?"
My biggest problem with Leo's admission in NM was that it was an attempt to undo the family dynamic. That because they weren't related by blood then they can't possibly be a family. And that's just ridiculous and a ploy to make the flirting with Venus not creepy. That's my problem with it.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
My biggest problem with Leo's admission in NM was that it was an attempt to undo the family dynamic. That because they weren't related by blood then they can't possibly be a family. And that's just ridiculous and a ploy to make the flirting with Venus not creepy. That's my problem with it.
Oh, I definitely won't deny that it came up in Next Mutation for the wrong reasons. (And that bit of subtext, while totally obvious now, was kind of lost on me as a kid.)

Just that it didn't seem to be a foreign concept to me at the time and that, in and of itself, I think it's totally defend-able and even desirable as part of the Turtles mythos.

But you'll never see me say anything good about the writing or direction of Next Mutation.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,791
I don't see why anything that happened in the Next Mutation should bother anyone. The whole show has practically been rendered non-canon, (it had no scene in Turtles Forever), and all the characters created for that series never appeared again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
Mr.Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North America
Posts: 1,652
i think casey shud have sons. i cant imagine casey has daughters.
__________________
Mr.Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Turtle View Post
i think casey shud have sons. i cant imagine casey has daughters.
What a fascinating and vaguely sexist way to contribute to the conversation.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
The 'adoptive family' theme seems to be popular in most superhero comic books. Batman losing his parents and being raised by Alfred, Superman being raised by the Kents, Spider-Man and Aunt May and Uncle Ben, etc., are all examples of this.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
BlueLightning
Random Punk
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico
Posts: 49
This is the aspect that fascinates me the most about TMNT. Splinter adopted the turtles, and where they may or may not be blood related, it doesn't really matter. (Though I didn't know that bit about Next Mutation, and it seems kinda shoehorned, but I didn't see that series enough) They are family, and it kept growing, with April and Casey. I like one of the TMNT 2k3 Christmas episodes where they invite their friends to the lair, it feels like an extended family, and they are so diverse and unique.

But the highlight, for me, it the first TMNT movie. It is the main theme actually, the contrast between the real family of the Turtles and the fake family of the Shredder, the fight of the youth against the corruption of it. I do love the Splinter interactions between his sons, most predominantly with Raphael.

And one little bit I like to add it's while Michelangelo is the funny guy, he is the most affected of all by the loss of Splinter, and it shows in the campfire scene. I think the family aspect of the TMNT is perhaps the most important, because it strings a chord with all of us, and is made in an unique way.
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons"
BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
And one little bit I like to add it's while Michelangelo is the funny guy, he is the most affected of all by the loss of Splinter, and it shows in the campfire scene. I think the family aspect of the TMNT is perhaps the most important, because it strings a chord with all of us, and is made in an unique way.
That's why I wish they'd have kept his voice screaming "SPLINTER!" on top of the farm house, instead of dubbing Raph over it. I mean, that, his hitting the bag, the camp fire scene as mentioned, and his longing to rush to Splinter on the roof top near the end, all speak to Mikey's emotional state, however subtly.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's why I wish they'd have kept his voice screaming "SPLINTER!" on top of the farm house, instead of dubbing Raph over it. I mean, that, his hitting the bag, the camp fire scene as mentioned, and his longing to rush to Splinter on the roof top near the end, all speak to Mikey's emotional state, however subtly.
Yes, most definitely.

I like this thread, I honestly never thought of Turtles in that respect, although TMNT has always played a big part in my family values (or, by happenstance, agrees with them). The older of a fan I get the more I find myself very much disliking if they are not made to be brothers. The Turtles are all brothers to me, no matter which path is taken in a given "universe", I would just prefer them to be related by blood. Again, not saying the family bond couldn't be as tight, etc. if they aren't related by blood. I just prefer the former.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.