The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you show?
The Original Mini-Series 12 27.91%
The First live action movie 24 55.81%
2k3 Cartoon 6 13.95%
Other 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
Where would you start someone who's never seen TMNT

So there is this girl I know who has never seen anything TMNT related. She is really cool and I enjoy spending time with her. She said she'd be up to watching some, but I don't know where I'd start her at. TMNT is really supper important to me and it's a big part of who I am. I'd also like to have this girl possibly be a bigger part of my life.

If you were to show someone who has never seen any Turtle stuff what would it be?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I had a tough go between the 1st 2 choices, but as the one that came to mind first I picked the 1st movie. It's a good blending of the Mirage source and the FW camp.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
When I wanted to introduce my girlfriend to the Turtles, I showed her the first movie. Like Jester said, it's a nice blend of FW and Mirage, and it can be taken somewhat seriously just incase she didn't know that TMNT isn't just for kids.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I was thinking the first live action movie. Exactly for the reason Jester said.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Does she like art?

Start her on the comics and just tell her to push her way through and have fun with the first 15 issues.

I'm really just speaking from my experience with my fiancee though. Your mileage may vary.

Also, I don't know. You could just let it happen organically. Chances are you'll be watching or reading something TMNT-related at some point while she's around. She'll probably express interest. From there, she can either try it out and latch on, or decide she's fine letting you keep it to yourself. Either way is fine, and it may be less awkward. Again speaking from experience with other interests.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I'd say my top 3 choices would be:

- First issue of Mirage #1.

- Season 1 of the original cartoon

- First movie


Although jumping right into the 4kids series isn't a bad choice either. It just feels "wrong" to start with it because it still feels relatively new and isn't the old stuff from the 80's and 90's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Walkabout
Stone Warrior
 
Walkabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 556
First two choices for sure, probably the movie.

Is there a trend here?
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Trend? What do you mean?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Actually, if you aren't going to go with the comics or don't think they're up her alley, and you don't want to just let it happen on its own, I have to put in a hearty vote for the original Fred-Wolf mini-series.

It's good all-ages fun and remarkably well done. The problem with the other versions is that they really don't wear their blend of seriousness and kid-friendliness well. We forgive it because we're either nostalgic or are already fans and willing to take whatever adaptations come along. But the first movie, as good as it is, hasn't aged very gracefully and is a tonal mess. The 4Kids series, I would only ever start an adult on if they were already very comfortable watching kids' series. A lot of its sins are unforgivable without the context of knowing it aired on Saturday morning and was advertising a toy line, and if you try to push it on anyone as a serious show, it's going to be really hard to stomach. Fine pieces to watch later, but not the best thing to show someone if you're trying to demonstrate why this is a property you love or a modern classic.

But the first season of the Fred-Wolf version is good, tonally consistent fun that does a great job of introducing the characters without those distractions.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I meet this girl at church, and hang out with her right now when we are working on the play she wrote. I got the lead part playing the hero. So I figure that is a good start of getting to spend more time with her. Anyway I'm using the TMNT as an excuse to get her to come hang out sometime honestly.

She is into Manga so the original comics aren't out of the question at some point.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I noticed most female fans tend to prefer the comedic nature of the original cartoon anyway. There's a reason the old show was also popular with girls, it wasn't merely an action show but it was comedic and the characters all played off each other.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I noticed most female fans tend to prefer the comedic nature of the original cartoon anyway. There's a reason the old show was also popular with girls, it wasn't merely an action show but it was comedic and the characters all played off each other.
I would imagine that most female fans (not all, ladies) dropped off the band-wagon after the OT. Most girls I know only knew of the Turtles because of the OT, and some heard of the movies but didn't see them.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,154
Assuming she's over the age of 12, yeah, I'd go with the movie. She'd have to be a little kid to really "get" the OT.

First movie. If she likes that, 2K7 TMNT movie. Skip the other movies. If she's still on board, some of the 2K3 toons.

Obviously you could show her the comics if she's really into it, but that's not really something you can "spend time with her" doing. Comics are sort of a personal time thing.
Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
mysterycolor
t-u-r-t-l-e seller!!
 
mysterycolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,481
definitely start with the movie- it is a fun introduction and if she likes it you can show her the other movies (i recommend the first live action, SOTO, 2k7 then tmnt 3)- if she likes those then maybe show the comics (if she's a reader) or even maybe the cartoon... but to start her off with the OT would be way too overwhelming (imho) because to get into it you have to learn the characters and quite honestly- wouldnt you rather she get to know you if she is a collector of anything toy related showing her the figures (and plushies!) would be fun as well. Good luck with your lady Hob

p.s.
if she isnt head over heals for the turtles right off the bat- dont necessarily write her off- people are allowed to have separate interests and still be in a relationship
__________________
mysterycolor TMNT ebay auctions- http://bit.ly/mysterycolor
mysterycolor's basement auctions- bit.ly/mysterybasement
mysterycolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
The 1st movie. It's a good movie, and films are easier to digest and less time consuming then five episodes of the first FW season, and the movie can be watched in company of friends and have some soda and candy to go.

Second choice would be season 1 of FW series. If you got the extra time, it applies pretty much as the first movie. You can watch it with friends and have some snack to it.

If she's already a comic book readier, you can recommend the comics, if not. something on the TV is better.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
1987 show, season 1-2

1987 show, season 1-2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #17
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
I would start with the Fred Wolf toon, that's what got me into ninja turtles.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #18
Impervium Gem
Foot Soldier
 
Impervium Gem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 122
Depending on what they would prefer to see at the moment, either the movie or the mini-series might be a good idea. I voted for the movie here since it sometimes takes a while to get a feeling for a new show and watching more than one episode in a row can feel a little strange, at least it has happened to me quite a few times (not with the Turtles, of course) and I noticed I often get used to film happenings quicker. But if I know they enjoy cartoons (or are interested in learning more about what I've been babbling about in excitement ) I'd definitely recommend them the Fred Wolf series.
Impervium Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
I would start a newbie with Turtles Forever since it combines elements of several incarnations of the franchise, and was part of the reason why I got back into TMNT. They also won't realize that the "1988" voices are different from the original cartoon. From there, based on their favorite part of the special, they then could go from there to their respective universe.

However, if he/she doesn't have a preference, this would be my suggestion to them. Since the majority of product is animated, I'd then direct them to the 1987 mini-series, since that is how the bulk of the people were introduced to the franchise. It's the simplest story to understand, and the five episodes are comparable in length to the first movie, which is what I would show to someone right after the 1987 mini-series. Next, I would ask if they'd like the movie or animated series better. If they picked the movie, then I would direct them to the other movies, followed by the 4kids series. If they liked the mini-series, then I would direct them to the rest of the Fred Wolf series. Afterwords, if they saw the OT, I would them direct them to the Archie comics and instruct them about the 1988-1996 Playmates line. If they choose the movies/4kids route, then I would tell them about the original Mirage comics that those universes were based off of.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!

Last edited by pannoni1; 07-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
Scud
Hench Mutant
 
Scud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 485
Either the first movie or Season one from '87.

My first choice would be the movie, unless you/she does not have time to sit through it all at once.
The first season would allow her to get a taste in bite size chunks.

~S~
__________________

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.