The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
If Mirage ever released a full-run hardcover compilation of Vol. 1, would you buy it?

For $199.99?

This may sound crazy, but I have a couple of 2000-page encyclopedias, and this could be an idea to "have it all" with just one book and be considered the new ultimate reading tool. It helps if some notes about each issue/arc were published as well. If it is a success, then this concept could carry not just to other TMNT titles, but perhaps to other comic books. (I would love for Marvel/DC to release approximately 50-issue megaruns, as it could really be a boon to the comic industry since there are generations who have never experienced the classic titles yet all they care about are the blockbuster movies, and this could be a lucrative idea.)

If simply 5,000 people bought this, that's a million in sales, and given potentially the number of Turtle fans that are out there, it would not be a bad move. Say goodbye to holding a thin book and organizing the different issues.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,023
I don't think the price would be 200
They are very content to sell us 7 episodes for 50 (30 on amazon) bucks

I have a feeling it would definitely be more

But yah I'd probably buy it
__________________
A small blog that a friend of mine and I started reviewing some games of all genre's. Stop by if you have a second.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Id try but probably wouldnt if i shared it with my brother and only had to pay half maybe.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
a 2000+ page book...no, i would not buy it. it would be a pain to read and forget about trecking it around in your back pack.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior
 
Lordmylar06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
Since I'm already getting the IDW Ultimate hardcovers I think it would be a bit redundant to get yet another collection of the same material.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Mirage couldn't release a book like that. They aren't allowed to release trades/collections. It would have to be IDW (or whoever had the license at the time).
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quite right. So the real answer to "If Mirage ever released a full-run hardcover compilation of Vol. 1" is:

They'd get sued, badly. Period.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior
 
LeoNerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 872
Purely hypothetically I think it'd be awesome and I would buy it. It would work better in at least two volumes rather than one I think. I've got a handful of the Silver Age Marvel Omnibus editions and while I love that line they are usually the best when they're in the 700-800 page range. The first volume of Amazing Spider-Man is almost 1100 pages as is a little unwieldy. There's not a real comfortable way to read it.

That said I'm happy with the Ultimate Collections for now.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
Mirage couldn't release a book like that. They aren't allowed to release trades/collections. It would have to be IDW (or whoever had the license at the time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Quite right. So the real answer to "If Mirage ever released a full-run hardcover compilation of Vol. 1" is:

They'd get sued, badly. Period.
You guys aren't playing right...

I, for one, would definitely buy it. There's quite a few stories I haven't read in years simply becuase I don't want to have to open each comic sleeve, pull out book, read, put back in, etc.
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Since I'm already getting the IDW Ultimate hardcovers I think it would be a bit redundant to get yet another collection of the same material.
^^ this
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
If Volume 1 was one huge storyline like Bone, then maybe, but TMNT is way too scattered for me to want it all collected in one book like that.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
You guys aren't playing right...

I, for one, would definitely buy it. There's quite a few stories I haven't read in years simply becuase I don't want to have to open each comic sleeve, pull out book, read, put back in, etc.
For an animal trainer, you sure are a lazy son of a bitch!
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
On a what if/hypothetical level, yes, I sure would. If it had everything and in the right order, no question.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I feel this is what Mirage SHOULD have done all the way back in 2002 when Volume 4 came back.

They should have started collections right away once Peter Laird started Volume 4 and the second Tales volume. Its a shame they didn't start till the tail-end.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Jonathan
Mouser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
It depends on the quality. Not only the quality of each page, but the quality of the two page spreads. I like my two page spreads to 'run together' (like they do in a regular comic book), so I would want to see that done in one way or another. The binding of a regular book doesn't work, so something needs to be done to fix that.

That being said, I have been buying the IDW Ultimate collection books, so maybe my answer isn't totally accurate.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Scud
Hench Mutant
 
Scud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 485
At that price, I would say yes (so of course it would never happen).
However I think the one book would be way too large to enjoy. It would just sit there as a conversation piece.

So overall I would have to pass.

~S~
__________________

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
At that price, I would say yes (so of course it would never happen).
However I think the one book would be way too large to enjoy. It would just sit there as a conversation piece.

So overall I would have to pass.

~S~
As much as I would love to have all of the books in a nice easy to use book I have to agree with Scud here. I feel like if I owned something like that it would just sit on a pedestal in the corner of the room like one of those Olde English Bibles... you know like in the movies.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Heather Breckel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 308
Probably not. I have the Invincible Compendium which is the first 47 issues of the series and it's pretty tough to look through. It's 1024 pages and weighs 4.5 pounds! I couldn't imagine having a hard cover larger than that.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I feel this is what Mirage SHOULD have done all the way back in 2002 when Volume 4 came back.

They should have started collections right away once Peter Laird started Volume 4 and the second Tales volume. Its a shame they didn't start till the tail-end.
I don't think I'd buy a huge TMNT compilation. I just can't see myself read or hold a book so big you can't really read from it. The big tomes that DC, Marvel and Image make are just barely tolerable in look and feel. But I still don't own anything that size except the Bone collection one all book.

Tales Vol. 2 did have trades that practically almost covered its first 2 years even if they were never consecutive issues and one book alone covered the Leo mini series. I do agree with your post they should've started with reprinting the trades in the first place when TMNT Vol. 4 series started. Even if not much got ordered at least they did it. Even though the other looming threat was if they didn't meet Diamond Dist. order quote, whatever that number is. I mean sometimes the publisher cancels a book to low orders or it can be Diamond as well. Peter laird was just so hesitant to do trades due to the market (go to mass or direct market, getting stuck with overstock, etc.) and I'm sure part of it was the Dave Sim/Cerebus TMNT #8. Which in the end Sim had no problem with and all Peter needed to do was ask.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant
 
SS_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 355
As others have said IDW as the rights now The fact is I'm pretty sure there making a good profit on the IDW releases, I'm just happy there reprinting all the older Mirage comics. Hopefully they will complete all the runs.
SS_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.