The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,794
How long do you think Shredder will last in IDW's continuity?

So as we know, the Turtles didn't kill the Shredder when they battled him in #12, allowing him to be a recurring villain for future arcs.

Whereas Mirage killed him off in his debut, the cartoons and Archie kept Shredder throughout pretty much their entire run, and I am sure the Nick cartoon will do the same. Heck the last Archie story ever published focused on Shredder (Year of the Turtle), as well as the one we didn't get, (The Forever War, which still focused on Shredder).

Shredder lasted throughout the entire runs of both cartoons, (Shredder was in Season 10, Ch'rell was in Turtles Forever), and as I said, I am willing to bet he will be around forever in the Nick show as well.

What about IDW's Shredder? Will he eventually be killed off? Or do you think they'll keep him as long as possible? Or better yet, will Shredder be a mantle that is passed from character to character, much in the same way we've seen Karai, Raphael, Ch'rell, Viral, etc. take over the Shredder mantle in various continuities.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
I'd like to believe there'd be a shocker at some point 20-30 issues from now where Oroku Saki is definitively killed on-page but realistically they probably have no plans on removing him entirely.

Could be wrong.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Since Shredder in IDW is the same Oroku Saki from Hamato Yoshi's time and are fully ressurected, not reincarnated apparently. I do not think the Shredder persona will be an mantle in the IDW-verse.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 2,230
I hope he dies as soon as possible, I don't want him to be a recurring villain like in the old toon. He is starting to bore me already actually. But I know it, this comics will finally turn into the old toon and we will have Bebop and Rocksteady and Shredder and Krang will become allies. Or maybe it is just a nightmare of mine. Prove me wrong, IDW!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I have no doubt he'll die/disappear & return. More than once. It's cool, I've come to expect that. I do like the mantle thing though, they could give that a whirl.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant
 
thelouisguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montréal
Posts: 313
I think he'll die at the end of year 3, so 36 issues in. Gives him a good run and allowed IDW time to build up secondary villains that could realistically be as opposing a threat as Shredder.

That said, we still have a lot to explore with Krang. If Krang and Shredder en up working together at the end of year 2 or beginning of year 3, then Shredder might be around a little longer.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
i hope he gets killed off by splinter/turtles at some point. it doesnt have to be soon persay, but i would say within the next 12-15 issues. i love and respect the character, thus i feel he should die a warriors death. sure at some point, i wouldnt mind the shredder clone(s) to make a short seires appearance. maybe even a son of his that maybe is currently unknown to exist will take the helm. dont know really, but what i do know is that i dont want his character to be watered down into nothing that goes on and on and on. and by no means do i ever want to see Ch'rell rehashed.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
As far as I'm concerned, Shredder should be TMNT's Joker -- he may only appear in the books once a year or so but he is an important and iconic villain and should not die off for good unless the series itself has planned ending that transpires at some point as well.

Shredder is deeply woven into the plot, moreso in the IDW series than probably any other incarnation of the story. The ties between him and Splinter go back farther. If he died, especially so early in the series, it feels like there is no greater confrontation that could happen beyond that where the drama and gravitas would be higher. Would be a waste. So yeah, I think he won't disappear for good. Besides, with reincarnation being such a central factor now, he can never TRULY be gone.

How many times have villains like X-Men's Apocalypse come back? It is to be expected.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Shredder should be TMNT's Joker -- he may only appear in the books once a year or so but he is an important and iconic villain and should not die off for good unless the series itself has planned ending that transpires at some point as well.

Shredder is deeply woven into the plot, moreso in the IDW series than probably any other incarnation of the story. The ties between him and Splinter go back farther. If he died, especially so early in the series, it feels like there is no greater confrontation that could happen beyond that where the drama and gravitas would be higher. Would be a waste. So yeah, I think he won't disappear for good. Besides, with reincarnation being such a central factor now, he can never TRULY be gone.

How many times have villains like X-Men's Apocalypse come back? It is to be expected.
Excactly. My limited interest in the black and white comics is rooted in the fact the main villain is dead after three appearances. Shredder has to be reoccuring and that is what makes him great.He should not be overused nor just appear a few times. If he was killed then it would feel like what is the point of keep going? With the main villain defeated with no return to keep the story going just seems pointless.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Shredder should be TMNT's Joker -- he may only appear in the books once a year or so but he is an important and iconic villain and should not die off for good unless the series itself has planned ending that transpires at some point as well.

Shredder is deeply woven into the plot, moreso in the IDW series than probably any other incarnation of the story. The ties between him and Splinter go back farther. If he died, especially so early in the series, it feels like there is no greater confrontation that could happen beyond that where the drama and gravitas would be higher. Would be a waste. So yeah, I think he won't disappear for good. Besides, with reincarnation being such a central factor now, he can never TRULY be gone.

How many times have villains like X-Men's Apocalypse come back? It is to be expected.
i definitely agree with this. i don't think they can completely remove the shredder. and if they do go the route of handing the mantle down generations... it won't last long. having read so much DC comics... i've come to accept that some mantles are just too great to pass on (right Bruce? Hal? Barry?). hell... even Marvel does it! i get it... there's a difference between villain and hero. not really... imagine magneto or joker being killed off and replaced.

my point is that if the mantle is indeed passed on... then the successor has very big armor-plated boots to fill... 30 years worth.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Shredder should be TMNT's Joker
I don't believe the TMNT need their own Joker... they aren't superheroes and aren't vigilantes. I don't like to see them getting saddled with, like, every comic book superhero trope, even ones that shouldn't apply to them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
IDW have a bit of a superhero comic vibe, i wouldn't mind a slight street level ala Daredevil hero antics from the turtles, as long as it's not motivated by the need of being a hero and making a difference. Bad guys are easy target practice and no one would miss them.

And. I kinda want to see a capable, well fleshed out Shredder stay alive in the IDW series. As long as he is not overused, all good villains need a rest
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Noah13
Random Punk
 
Noah13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 42
I would like to see more charactization on the shredder instead of the 'big bad mean guy who wants to take over the world' that we normally get.

I'm glad they are keeping him around, but I'm going to hold off until the mini-series and possible micros to decide if this was a good thing in the long run
__________________
"Let me tell you a story..."
Noah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Godzilla
Foot Soldier
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 235
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Shredder should be TMNT's Joker --
Yeah, I think by and large, most people that is aware or knows anything about TMNT, Shredder already is what Joker is to Batman. I really don't care if he was intended or not intended to be the Darth Vader of the TMNT universe, but that's indeed the general perception, and has been for years.

Which, to me, is anything but a detriment to the franchise. Being that TMNT was essentially something of a parody of Daredevil, I have no qualms with Shredder being the Kingpin/Bullseye equivalent, and honestly never have.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,794
That's why in Mirage it didn't matter. Shredder was dead but his shadow cast on the rest of the series with Karai/The Foot being recurring characters.

Just look at City at War, Volume 2, Image and even Volume 4...the Turtles were never full free under Shredder's shadow.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Since IDW comics are not going to be aimed at the core Nickelodeon audience and comes at a point where lots of secondary villains have been created, I'd say Shredder will last as long as new issues are being created. You'll probably see Shredder escape and get away more often than in previous comics, and I wouldn't expect him to die given that villains in decades-old comic book franchises never disappear just so they can please new generations of readers. If Shredder is a mantle, I prefer it to be a family thing rather than using Utroms, so that all Shredders are Orokus, or better yet, Oroku Saki II, III, etc.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't believe the TMNT need their own Joker... they aren't superheroes and aren't vigilantes. I don't like to see them getting saddled with, like, every comic book superhero trope, even ones that shouldn't apply to them.
i think what he meant is that shredder is the main antagonist. not saying that the Turtles have to be heroes or vigilantes. the joker is the most well-recognized villain of batman. as is the shredder to the turtles. i think that's what Zulithe meant. but ask a kid who's the bad guy in tmnt (if they know of them)... they'd say shredder. in that way... he is the tmnt's joker.

but i see what you mean with your last statement. they're ninja mutants... they shouldn't feel any obligations toward humans... unless they happen to come across a situation.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
I dunno about Shredder, but I would like to see Krang get killed eventually. I think it'd be cool if Shredder was the one who did him in.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I dunno about Shredder, but I would like to see Krang get killed eventually. I think it'd be cool if Shredder was the one who did him in.
For some reason I think Krang's fate will be similar to what happened to him in the Archie series.

He'll be banished to some sort of wasteland planet without any body and forced to survive there on his own. Very similar to Ch'rell being banished in 4kids finale too.

I guess people really like the idea of banishing evil brains to random asteroids/planets rather than actually killing them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess people really like the idea of banishing evil brains to random asteroids/planets rather than actually killing them.
You know what they say, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.