The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Dan Duncan TMNT Art

Yes, he may be off the run for now, but I managed to convince him to take a commission from me back in June at the Heroes Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. Got the piece yesterday, and it's a beauty! Don't have a scanner on hand large enough to give you better quality but I took a picture of it and did the best I could to get it lookin' good. Afterward I colored it digitally (IDW- gimmie a job! :p). Figured you'd all like to see a little something from him as it will likely be a while before we get to again! So, here it is.





Colors can be seen a little bigger here- http://powderakacaseyjones.deviantar...laze-328189852
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Awesome piece and recolor....

Oh and one more thing:

__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
oh. my. god. that is a freakin' beautiful piece of art! wow... if you don't mind me asking... how much did you pay him for it? i'm thinking of getting a piece from him now.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Wow, that scene is spectacular! Nice coloring too, especially the normal TMNT coloring scheme.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Man I miss Dan Duncan. The guy was truly underappreciated during his run.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man I miss Dan Duncan. The guy was truly underappreciated during his run.
i totally agree. even though the Turtles' heads weren't my favorite... i still loved his art.
by the way... this would have been a better cover for #12.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
Great color job man!
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Icegaze
Hench Mutant
 
Icegaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 283
Dan Duncan has good artwork and everything but I just am not fond of the way he draws the turtles in the IDW series. Their egg head shape, their mouth expressions, even their plastrons seem off most times.. I dunno.. Is it true that he won't be drawing the upcoming issues 14 and upwards? Because with all due respect to him and his fans, I wish someone else was in charge of the main art style of this series.

I would love to see this style below in the comics:


It seems like a good mix between the OT Turtles, the 2007 CG movie and the 2k3 series.
__________________
Icegaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Scud
Hench Mutant
 
Scud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 485
Like I said before, nice piece. The colour job you did is just awesome.
Nice Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
Dan Duncan has good artwork and everything but I just am not fond of the way he draws the turtles in the IDW series. Their egg head shape, their mouth expressions, even their plastrons seem off most times.. I dunno.. Is it true that he won't be drawing the upcoming issues 14 and upwards? Because with all due respect to him and his fans, I wish someone else was in charge of the main art style of this series.

I would love to see this style below in the comics:


It seems like a good mix between the OT Turtles, the 2007 CG movie and the 2k3 series.
Icegaze, I can see what you mean, Duncan's earlier issue work seemed to be better than the later issues. The head shape is a little off.
I can dig the style you showed. Either way I'm looking forward to some new art.

~S~
__________________

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant
 
thelouisguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montréal
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Afterward I colored it digitally (IDW- gimmie a job! :p).
Nice colouring job! Both are very tallented.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Awesome piece and recolor....

Oh and one more thing:

Haha take that Board Sherriff

Great looking piece and thanks for sharing. I really like the detail you put into Mikey's arm in the colouring job
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I'm glad to see that Duncan isn't totally out of the TMNT groove just yet!


Not Out Yet by ~dan-duncan on deviantART
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Ha, I was actually gonna bump this thread with that myself! When I met him at the con he told me a little bit about this project. Didn't get much out of him other than that IDW had him hard at work on a TMNT sketchbook. Though he never said anything to imply it, I have a feeling it will include a bunch of familiar faces. From how much he seemed to be doing though, it may very well just be a collection of new originals from him. That in itself would be awesome, anything else is icing on the cake.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #14
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
that picture wouldve been pretty cool if it was in plain black and white. And those black brush strokes look kinda messy. Still pretty cool though.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #15
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
Dan Duncan has good artwork and everything but I just am not fond of the way he draws the turtles in the IDW series. Their egg head shape, their mouth expressions, even their plastrons seem off most times.. I dunno.. Is it true that he won't be drawing the upcoming issues 14 and upwards? Because with all due respect to him and his fans, I wish someone else was in charge of the main art style of this series.

I would love to see this style below in the comics:


It seems like a good mix between the OT Turtles, the 2007 CG movie and the 2k3 series.
I would love to see more art in that style. Awesome!
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
nice to see some duncan art again.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Nice piece and your ditital coloring has come a long way you did an amazing job on that piece very impressive
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
natecm
Hench Mutant
 
natecm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 352
Awesome piece from Duncan. He really puts time into his sketch work. Great job on the coloring too.
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,518
Weird to see Dan's art after other people! I got spoiled...

I dig how the Foot in that Donatello sketch is wearing all white. Don vs. Storm Shadow??
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm glad to see that Duncan isn't totally out of the TMNT groove just yet!

I have sneaking suspicion we've seen our first glimpse of what may be offered through IDW Limited when it's launched.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dan duncan


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.