The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Anyone else a little concerned about Mikey?

As much as I loved the series premiere, I have to admit it kind of bothers me how Michelangelo is being portrayed as a total moron here. He's even more of a stooge than he was in the 4Kids toon! The most annoying part was when they were climbing the wall and Mikey didn't seem to get that the van was part of Leo's plan. Come on, writers! Mikey may be a party dude, but he's never been that idiotic.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
I don't see how Mikey was "stupid" at all. He is unfamiliar with the human world, hence his reaction to the neon lights in the store windows, and he is eager like wanting to become the leader just because he says so.

In fact this version of Mike is just plain fun. In just two episodes I feel this could be the funniest version of the character in animation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
I admit I had a bad feeling myself. He is the "dumb one" again it seems and Raphael still smacks him on the head after Mike irritates him and it seems not to be exclusive as Leo shows. Townsend Coleman made me love the character. He was goofy and fun loving,but not the "dumb one". I hope we don't get a retread of the 2003 cartoon. Perhaps its setting it up for him to mature as they are just 15 and starting their mission to fight evil. I can go along with that just fine I just hate for my favorite to be looked at as the "dumb one".
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
That's because Fred Wolf Mike was very laid-back and it was just his surfer lingo and addiction to pizza that made him stand out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Heather Breckel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 308
Not too worried. I found him to be legitimately entertaining even if he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. But I still didn't really see him as being stupid.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior
 
Gyt Kaliba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
I can see the problem if he does become completely insipid later on or something, but as it is now (based on what I saw in the premiere I mean), I'm not worried at all. Yes, he was a little bit dumb, but it's Mikey - that's what I love about the guy. To me, he's a fun-loving goofball, with a lot of heart.
__________________
My FanFiction
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
He's not even portrayed as being dumb and incompetent though. The other guys didn't believe him when he saw a Kraang alien, and he comes across as cute and loveable.

I don't often say this word, but I honestly think this version of Mikey is "adorable."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He's not even portrayed as being dumb and incompetent though. The other guys didn't believe him when he saw a Kraang alien, and he comes across as cute and loveable.

I don't often say this word, but I honestly think this version of Mikey is "adorable."
And maybe that's why I don't have much of an issue either. My wife and I came to the conclusion that this Mikey is naive, not necessarily stupid. Everyone knows how I feel about 4Kids Mikey, that by the time he won the Battle Nexus Tournament he was insufferable, and that wasn't really because he was "the dumb one" but the fact that he was way to cocky....and then at times a coward. For me this Mikey is just kinda sweet and innocent. Naive, not stupid.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
I liked him better than I was expecting to. His jokes are pretty fun, so it doesn't get too annoying.

Spoiler:
But when he lets Snake escape because he gets distracted thinking of eating pizza, I thought it was just plain ridiculous. I hope they keep that kind of stupid stuff under control.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Breckel View Post
Not too worried. I found him to be legitimately entertaining even if he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. But I still didn't really see him as being stupid.
^ This. As a fan of 4kids Mikey, I can honestly say that 2k12 Mikey is WAY better than him.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
He's infinitely better than 4Kids Mike.

While he's still playing a bit of a doofus, he seems genuine and just a bit overwhelmed by the things around him.

Also, he probably got more laughs out of me in the single hour of this show I've seen than 4Kids Mike did in the entire series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And maybe that's why I don't have much of an issue either. My wife and I came to the conclusion that this Mikey is naive, not necessarily stupid. Everyone knows how I feel about 4Kids Mikey, that by the time he won the Battle Nexus Tournament he was insufferable, and that wasn't really because he was "the dumb one" but the fact that he was way to cocky....and then at times a coward. For me this Mikey is just kinda sweet and innocent. Naive, not stupid.
Yeah, this.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I'm not too worried. Like others have said, he doesn't come off as dumb to me. He's just naive and exploring the world. He's just a fun loving goofball who can be dense at times but not altogether dumb.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I like this version of Mikey honestly. They play him very childlike and naive in the ways of the human world. I feel like he is the one who wants to learn the most about it out of the Turtles. It also came across to me that he is the biggest one that sees them as a true family. I've had friends with little brothers and that's what he reminded me of.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I wil say I did love the part where Mikey faced that one Kraang right before discovering its true identity, but that exchange with Leo while scaling the wall still bugs me a little, as does that part where he said "You'd think Snake would turn into a snake." was a bit of a groaner. But I digress.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I wil say I did love the part where Mikey faced that one Kraang right before discovering its true identity, but that exchange with Leo while scaling the wall still bugs me a little, as does that part where he said "You'd think Snake would turn into a snake." was a bit of a groaner. But I digress.
What made Snake turn into a weed anyway? I did like how Mike renamed him,the pizza bit was good,but they should know what pizza is just never tried it,and the fight where he discovers Krang. I hope that Mike is set up this way to grow as the series goes on much like he did in Archie.Do you think that is the idea?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What made Snake turn into a weed anyway?
If you look closely at the ground were Snake was talking to the kraang, you see weeds.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
I'd rather have a naive and confused Mikey than an annoyingly arrogant coward.

If Mikey doesn't get something, he'll ask and at least TRY to learn. 2003 Mikey would just brush everything off.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He's not even portrayed as being dumb and incompetent though.
Yes he is. He couldn't comprehend the other Turtles' [super simple] plan.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
I think this mikey is more fun than 2k3 mikey. 2k3 Mikey is better for that show because it had a draker tone. 2k12 mikey is better because this is more directed to kids. Also he is very fun i thought it was hillarious n he let snake get away beecause he was hungry.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
He's 15, and has a serious case of AD-HD.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.