The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior
 
Gyt Kaliba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
The Show's Use of Japanese Terms

I'm posting this to ask two questions basically, one for continued discussion, and one for my own use that I need an answer for. Hopefully it hasn't been addressed as it's own thing yet and I missed it. ^_^;

1) How do you all feel about the show's use of Japanese terms for certain styles, maneuvers, and so on, thus far? I myself have really been enjoying it, it really adds more depth and realism to Splinter's training, since he should know the proper terms for everything like this.

2) To be more specific and ask for help, what was the term that Splinter said in the first episode, after Raph had taken down Leo, to put an end to the sparring? It sounded like 'Yamet', but I wanted to be sure. I need to know for something I'm working on.
__________________
My FanFiction
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,180
"Hajime" means begin and "yame" means stop.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,778
I believe they said the fighting styles are based on real ninjutsu that they have someone working with them to demonstrate.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior
 
Gyt Kaliba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
"Hajime" means begin and "yame" means stop.
Thanks! Making a note of that, that'll make this easier to work on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I believe they said the fighting styles are based on real ninjutsu that they have someone working with them to demonstrate.
Yeah, I remember reading that too, guess they probably got the real terms and pronunciation guides off of those people as well probably.
__________________
My FanFiction
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Using terms in the native language of the style is pretty standard in any martial arts practice. I take Tang Soo Do, which is a Korean style, so we use Korean commands in class.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Most of the terms they use seems genuine or at least sounds genuine, think I caught one that I remember from my Ju-Jitsu days. I think it was Seo Nage, mentioned in the Monkey Brains episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I believe they said the fighting styles are based on real ninjutsu that they have someone working with them to demonstrate.
That is weird, since Ninjutsu isn't a martial art.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Shredded
Foot Soldier
 
Shredded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I believe they said the fighting styles are based on real ninjutsu that they have someone working with them to demonstrate.
They are probably working with the same people as they worked with when they developed the fighting styles for "Avatar the last airbender."

It being produced by the same studio and all.
In Avatar they litterately copied four different fight styles for the four different nations. Filmed people using this fight-style and some-times drew over them.

So well.. Nick all-ready did that trick ones. That they are doing it also with the ninja turtles seems very plausible, especially since this seems to be their new golden boy after Avatar.

To which I can only say one thing.... AWESOME!

Have any other media interpretation of the turtles ever before actually incorporated real nin-jutsu?

I guess the first two movies sort of did, but the people inside of the turtle costumes couldn't have been to able to actually use it... being in huge clunky costumes that destricts their movements and all of that.

And well, i will not take that away from this show, the fights looks awesome and are an absolute up-date from the 2k3 show.

Avatar seriously delivers the best animated battles I have ever seen, the movements were always so fluent, so cool, and by the season finales so big and awe inducing. And if this show is going in the same direction? omg, I want to see more battleing!
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
I'm loving the Japanese terms :3

I took several Japanese classes and they seem to be using it well

(as far as I can remember)
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredded View Post
I guess the first two movies sort of did, but the people inside of the turtle costumes couldn't have been to able to actually use it... being in huge clunky costumes that destricts their movements and all of that.
Pat Johnson, who did the fight choreography for the live action movies (look him up; he's done everything), studied Tang Soo Do under Chuck Norris.

The style they're using as reference isn't "ninjutsu," but a style that has a complicated name I don't recall offhand. I think they just simplify it by saying that they're using real ninjas. :p
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
a few times they've used words i'm not familiar with, which is great. It really gives it a strong feeling of authenticity. It would be kinda cool (and educational) if they'd subtitle them sometimes when appropriate, but I suppose it's not really necessary as the meaning of the words is usually implied somehow.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior
 
Gyt Kaliba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
a few times they've used words i'm not familiar with, which is great. It really gives it a strong feeling of authenticity. It would be kinda cool (and educational) if they'd subtitle them sometimes when appropriate, but I suppose it's not really necessary as the meaning of the words is usually implied somehow.
That'd be something kinda nifty for them to include on the DVDs, a flyer or something with a listing of the Japanese terms used in said volume, and what they mean.
__________________
My FanFiction
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I believe they said the fighting styles are based on real ninjutsu that they have someone working with them to demonstrate.
Also, that he took up ninjutsu a long time ago specifically because of the TMNT, which is awesome.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,672
I like it. It makes the whole martial arts ninja training seem legit. And Splinter is Japanese so why wouldn't he use the real Japanese terms for the techniques he's using. I'm glad in this day and age people can finally use the real Japanese terms without people being worried the kids would be too dumb to understand. Like they did when they were first dubbing anime.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I think the use of these terms gives the Nickelodeon series some very unique attributes not only when compared to the other two animated series, but to every other incarnation as well. We've never heard Splinter use that language in the movies or even Mirage comics.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Teddy
Hench Mutant
 
Teddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 368
I love it! Makes the show feel a little more authentic. In regards to Splinter and his teachings anyway.
__________________
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
Yorae
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 300
I really like the use of Japanese terms. I had a fangirl moment when Leonardo said "Onegaishimasu" in the very first episode and loved the use of occasional Japanese in the show since. In my mind the Turtles' first language is Japanese, having been raised by Yoshi and all and their English came afterwards.

Keeping the Japanese names of the matrial arts moves keeps it authentic as mentioned before

Last edited by Yorae; 02-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Yorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
I love it! Makes the show feel a little more authentic. In regards to Splinter and his teachings anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
I really like the use of Japanese terms. I had a fangirl moment when Leonardo said "Onegaishimasu" in the very first episode and loved the use of occasional Japanese in the show since. In my mind the Turtle's first language is Japanese, having been raised by Yoshi and all and their English came afterwards.

Keeping the Japanese names of the matrial arts moves keeps it authentic as mentioned before
Basically this & this! I'm definitely a fan.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
That is weird, since Ninjutsu isn't a martial art.
Would you say it's more a warrior code, like Bushido?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Some skeptics question whether Ninjutsu is even a thing.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
Some skeptics question whether Ninjutsu is even a thing.
well I looked on my dictionary and it says:

ninjutsu |ninˈjoŏtsoō|
noun
the traditional Japanese technique of espionage, characterized by stealthy movement and camouflage. It was developed in feudal times for military purposes and subsequently used in the training of samurai.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.