The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
TMNT '90-- Cereal Ad?

Okay, so I'm digging way back into the memory banks on this one. I have a vivid memory of the first time I heard about the TMNT movie as a child.

Like most of you, I'm sure, I had my finger firmly on the pulse of anything and everything TMNT in the late-80s, early 90. I remember being at a local grocery store and seeing a small ad for a TMNT film on the side of a box. I want to say the cereal was Rice Chex, but it's possible that it was the TMNT cereal. The image was of Leo sitting against the tree, but it's not the shot that's commonly seen in the poster book. It was from a profile angle, eyes shut, more meditative pose... plus a much nicer shot composition, IMO. Anyway, the ad said something about the release date-- other details are fuzzy. This was MONTHS before the release of the film, as I remember thinking how far away it was when my mother explained it to me. This was before any sort of teaser poster of trailer/TV spot.

SO... my question to you, fellow fans... does anyone have an idea or image of the cereal ad that I'm remembering?
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 830
This was the best I could find. The top image has images on the side, advertising the movie. I'm thinking that it was the TMNT cereal. I can't find a picture of the one you're looking for, but it could also be, since it's been 23 years, that your mind is combining fuzzy images into one. You could be remembering the side ad in the top image, but placing one of the "collector card" images in that memory. It appears that they did have multiple variations of the cut out cards, so that Leo image could have been one of them.






Or, you are remembering correctly and it wasn't a TMNT cereal at all. An image of which would be much harder to find, as collectors tend to look for the official memorabilia cereals.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
psychturtle
Mad Scientist
 
psychturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,001
I loved the look of the old cereal boxes. In fact, I bought a mint box and put it in a frame. Love looking at it as I work on computer.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
MST3KFan
Hench Mutant
 
MST3KFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 485
I'd actually like to see the TMNT cereal make a come back if possible...along with those graham cracker cookies and the filled pies. Maybe with how the new show is doing it could be possible. Never know.

Cool to see things like this again though and recall some childhood memories.
MST3KFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
This was the best I could find. The top image has images on the side, advertising the movie. I'm thinking that it was the TMNT cereal. I can't find a picture of the one you're looking for, but it could also be, since it's been 23 years, that your mind is combining fuzzy images into one. You could be remembering the side ad in the top image, but placing one of the "collector card" images in that memory. It appears that they did have multiple variations of the cut out cards, so that Leo image could have been one of them.



OMG! I kept this exact movie box for such a long time, I'm not sure what ended up happening to it, but I loved it so much.
what a flashback...
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
Years later, I finally discover it! The box wasn't cereal-- it was the TMNT cookies!

This was my first introduction to Barron's TMNT. I lost my damn mind.



d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
And it only took you what? 3 years! Hey that's not a lot!
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
It's definitely not the longest it's taken me to sniff out specific TMNT pieces!
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
And I thought me taking almost 30 minutes to find a certain piece in my Lego box was long
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
nellyp
Stone Warrior
 
nellyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 545
Here in Canada they have TMNT cereal for the nick cartoon and it is an abomination. Neither me or my kids would eat it and I am not someone known to turn away food.


Here in the 90's we never had the Chex style cereal we had the green turtle face cereal.

http://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/ninja-turtles-cereal/




The new stuff keeps the face shapes in 4 Colors but it is nowhere near as good as the 90's stuff


Last edited by nellyp; 09-01-2016 at 09:12 PM.
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist
 
wpugh2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Triceraton Republic
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
Here in Canada they have TMNT cereal for the nick cartoon and it is an abomination. Neither me or my kids would eat it and I am not someone known to turn away food.


Here in the 90's we never had the Chex style cereal we had the green turtle face cereal.

http://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/ninja-turtles-cereal/

http://dinosaurdracula.com/wp-conten...2014/03/22.jpg


The new stuff keeps the face shapes in 4 Colors but it is nowhere near as good as the 90's stuff

http://www.cerealously.net/wp-conten...2-787x1024.jpg
The new cereal is good dry but terrible w milk
__________________
"Go! Move it, will ya? Aw, you're letting him blow right by ya! Can you believe this guy? Come on! Don't just...! Ninja-kick the damn rabbit! Do something!"
wpugh2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #12
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior
 
DonatelloDomeHead31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helping Casey Jones fix the Pick-Up Truck
Posts: 878
The cereal box that's offering the movie poster...I had a friend get the Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze poster--but he got it from Burger King.

As far as the cards go...I had a collection of the 4 turtles--well, 3 actually. The only one I could not get was Raphael.

Speaking of collecting, I had the fortune of collecting the 4 turtle bowls--they were fun to get as I got each one. Unfortunately, I no longer have these cereal bowls---memories.

__________________

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
that leo meditating poster mustve been nice... hopefully the image surfaces one day...

peace!
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySiegel View Post
that leo meditating poster mustve been nice... hopefully the image surfaces one day...

peace!
The posters pop up on eBay every now and then, though I really wish a legit photographic print of the shot would pop up. There's an alternate vertical shot that's REALLY cool.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
The ad:


The alternate vertical shot:
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
That's it! Such a cool shot.

It makes you wonder who picks the shots used heavily in promotions. I'm not sure why they ran with this one instead of the shot above.

d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wooooooo! thanks for that sir! would love to see that cereal box poster digitized looks amazing!


Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
That's it! Such a cool shot.

It makes you wonder who picks the shots used heavily in promotions. I'm not sure why they ran with this one instead of the shot above.

http://<div style="margin:20px; marg...</div> </div>
wow! that looks nice man should scan that on the internet man!

peace to both of you guys!
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #18
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySiegel View Post
Wooooooo! thanks for that sir! would love to see that cereal box poster digitized looks amazing!
Well, it's something.
Spoiler:
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #19
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Well, it's something.
excellent work man!!!!!!!!
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #20
Cheesebrush
Foot Soldier
 
Cheesebrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 206
Good timing with the resurrection of the cereal thread - I just found my old box of cereal whilst tidying the loft, including the actual cereal!

And before you ask, yes I did try eating some if it (even though it's probably over 25 years old).
Surprisingly it still has some crispness to it although it was obviously softer than it should be (I was expecting them to be completely chewy).
It tasted bloody awful but that might just be how it's supposed to be. I'll stick with my Weetabix thank you.

Cheesebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.