![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
|
What if the TMNT Brotherhood premise was changed?
In most depictions, if not all (except The Next Mutation) the Turtles had all grown up together as brothers. (Yes in TNM they were not brothers, but grew up together. But that's beside the point in this thread.
Take for example if the four Turtles were somehow separated, similarly in the OT to Mondo Gecko's situation, with Splinter being able to find less than 4 of them. And the other one to three Turtles grow up with other "adoptive" parents/siblings (other mutated animals, by themselves [like the Punk Frogs], or humans [Mondo Gecko's situation]). It would put an interesting "monkey wrench" on the TMNT premise itself? What do you guys think? It could be an intriguing twist, since in the end, it could make their brotherhood bonds even stronger upon discovering it since they each would have known how it felt to be alone and without siblings. It's one thing for one to face the world with a group of siblings (the original TMNT premise), but a far harsher experience when one is all alone facing the world. Interesting....concept? Tell me what you guys think! Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 03-27-2013 at 10:40 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
On the beat!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hiding behind the phone booth
Posts: 2,132
|
IDW did something "like" this with it's TMNT comic, where Raph was seperated from the others just prior to their mutation (but after being covered with ooze). You should check that out if you haven't. I don't want to spoil it for you, but you do see something that looks a shade like what you're proposing here.
__________________
"You're still news!" |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,783
|
In IDW they were still brothers prior though.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
The Catalina Wine Mixer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
|
Quote:
![]() EDIT: Don was raised by stockman! Last edited by Drose18; 03-27-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: New Idea |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | ||
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
|
Quote:
Hmmm...I'm just throwing out this idea, since I don't have a clue how close my idea and the IDW's storyline are. Quote:
Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 03-27-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Responding to Joshdonnie |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States, California
Posts: 592
|
I personally don't particularly care for those types of what-if situations. I can see how they would be interesting for others to explore, but it's not something I'd like to become widespread canon. A huge part of the appeal for TMNT for me is their intricate family bonds, their complex dynamics as both brothers and a fighting team that comes from having grown up for at least fifteen years with no one else for comfort, support or protection. It's extremely intriguing to me on a psychological and emotional level, and taking that away from their storyline by separating them all at birth changes that entire dynamic dramatically, not to mention I'm sure their personalities would shift noticeably as well since they were shaped by their experiences having grown up together, and without that I honestly wonder if Leo would have such a strong honor code or morals, if Raph would still have his passion to protect and defend, if Don would lose his sense of humanity or if Mike would still have such an ingrained compassion for others and the desire to be with them. I feel like these things are all produced from their time having grown up as brothers and without that, one would have to essentially rewrite their characters from scratch, in which case I would feel as though I was reading about OCs as they would be so far removed from who they've always been.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
god status
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
|
Are they mutated at the same time? If not why would four brother turtles be separated and still become mutated? Idk I just don't see how that works.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do. Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140 |
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
|
Quote:
Maybe we would have Chet give away one Turtle (Leonardo) to a friend (in which the whole mutagen TCRI accident happened to Chet's friend), while returning back the 3 Turtles to the pet store. Then one person buys one Turtle (Raphael) and lives near a failing nuclear power plant (maybe even something drastic like Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima....I don't know... ...I don't know... It's all crazy hypothetical storytelling I'm coming up with here... Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 03-28-2013 at 12:25 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
|
IDK........XD...
.....I don't think any of them would tolerate the other if they weren't STUCK as brothers XD Raph would be walking out every second XD Leo would be looking for another team to lead Mikey would be even less motivated to train XD and Donnie.....he'd keep all the neat machines to himself XD (but thats the extreme) their personalities are so different and conflict like crazy XD but thats the best thing about it! cause they are brothers and have to deal with it (and they make it work~)
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
The Agenda of Existing
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
|
sounds like a bad fanfic.
as for not being brothers in TMN, the bio cards in the Playmates toys had them listed as being from different pet shops, not being biological brothers there either. |
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
|
I didn't mind what IDW did with Raph, but i think it would be way too coincidental if they all got ooze poured on them and were then found by 4 different martial arts masters. Even as a kid i had trouble understanding why Splinter had been hanging out in the sewers.
But I do think there is something to the idea of Shredder finding and raising one of the turtles who was separated after being exposed to the mutagen. In fact I rather like that idea. Raph for instance( ill use him as an example because he seems to be the go to guy who would fit the best with a teacher like Oroku Saki) would fill the Slash/Karai role for the first season/storyline. Then begin to question Shredder's motivations after being exposed to the nurturing family dynamic of Hamato Yoshi, and eventually join his brothers to combat his former clan. I am not a fan of fanfiction, and I'm not saying this would be an instant classic, but I do find this idea intriguing. |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Leo-holic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
|
While this idea is intriguing, I don't know how the heck it would work that way. Besides as others have said, the brotherly bonds are what make the Turtles who they are. I'm not saying you shouldn't write something like that, but it would take quite a bit of effort on your part to see how it would come out.
I do like the idea of one of the Turtles being raised by Shredder. I've read a fan fic like that by Sewer Slider where the Turtles were raised by Shredder and Yoshi was held captive in the trilogy. It was very well written though.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One. "Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson. |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Jedi Master
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
|
Tristian Jones recently revealed on here that Dan Berger and him were co-writing a reboot that would have taken place mid 2010 after Peter Laird got through roughly #35 of TMNT vol.4 if not for the sale to Viacom. Michelangelo and Raphael were to be dsicovered and rasied by teenager Casey Jones while Hatmao Yoshi/Splinter was to raise Leonardo and Donatello. They would no reuinte until they were roughly 15. When asked about Michelangelo's ninjitsu skills and Raphael's, Michleangelo's athleticism will help him adapt easily in battle and Raphael's weight trainning and brawler trainning would translate into catching up to the other half of the foursome without much trouble. I would PM him about it if you would likehim to explaini it better than I paraphrased. He said he would write a multi-part blog entry about it soon.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon! |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 | |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
|
Quote:
Speaking of Tristan, I wish IDW would have him tackle a few covers for TMNT, I understand them wanting to keep the design or look of the IDW TMNT different & distant from the Mirage stable of artists, Bobby mentioned that before, but since Tristan has done regular work for IDW with Ghostbusters, as well as the Infestation mini, I'd like to see him tackle some covers on a regular basis.
__________________
------------------- |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
|
...Huh. This is a really, REALLY cool idea IMO. I'd love to see something done like this, though I suppose it would kind of break the 'Splinter as their father' thing. Or at least would make that relationship a little different if nothing else.
Hmm...as for a way to make it actually work, perhaps they were all together and mutated as such (keeping more or less in line with the most used origin), but instead of them just...suddenly being teenagers like a lot of material almost seems to do, they're babies at first (like in the first live-action movie). They are then separated from that point, after Splinter names them, to train separately. This is giving me plot bunnies. I don't need plot bunnies. I have enough stuff to write. Agh!
__________________
My FanFiction |
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
|
How about the turtles finding out they have other normal turtle family still alive somewhere? I suppose the normal lifespan for their species makes this more or less impossible but it could be an interesting starting point for something about the ethics of mutation. Some of them could think they should intentionally mutate them, others think they should leave them as is, etc. Someone could run off on a dangerous solo mission to obtain mutagen whether the others want it or not, so on.
__________________
Final Boss of translation group Opentrain. We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff. http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/ |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|