The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
Fred Wolf's take on the turtles.

The fred wolf cartoon pretty much went its own way from the comics. Do you think forging it's own identity was a good thing or should it have stayed closer to the material? I kinda like that the series went its own way as standards and practices plus vigilant watchdog groups would have made it a bit harder for action than they did with the actual show.


Do wish the show had stayed the tone of season 1 though.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.

Last edited by rufus; 07-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
The Mirage comics were in their infancy back in 1987. The cartoon couldn't take that much from the comics back then as the Mirage universe didn't even have much to use.

I do find it really strange they didn't use the Triceratons in the cartoon right away, or at least by Season 3. You'd think kids would have loved to see triceratops aliens in the show at the beginning.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Turtlemania never would have happened if they kept it closer to Mirage's interpretation.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Turtlemania never would have happened if they kept it closer to Mirage's interpretation.
I think it might have been even stronger and better remembered had they kept it closer to Fred Wolf's first season, though.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I, personally, would have loved that.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I think it might have been even stronger and better remembered had they kept it closer to Fred Wolf's first season, though.
There weren't many plot-driven cartoons back then. Even Batman: TAS was largely episodic. Back then shows were written in such a way that kids could watch them out of order and it wouldn't make a difference.

When I was a kid I never saw cartoons in their proper order, I just watched whatever random episode they showed. It worked better that way. Nowadays shows are much more plot-driven but I can't imagine being 6 years old and missing eps and wondering what the hell is going on.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Pterobat
Hench Mutant
 
Pterobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I think it might have been even stronger and better remembered had they kept it closer to Fred Wolf's first season, though.
The first season is fun but it wasn't perfect or totally serious, and I'd miss the goofier future direction of the Fred Wolf cartoon. It wasn't always *quality* goofiness, but when it was on, it was on, and it's fun to rewatch as an adult.

As to the general question, I'm going to be unimaginative and say that the comics are the comics, and the cartoons are the cartoons. They're not...totally separate entities, but there's no problem with making the cartoon radically different, because it's a different version of the story. It was fun seeing how the 4Kids series and the original comics connected, but it's not "better" because it was more faithful.
__________________
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
I can't imagine what it'd be like if Shredder was defeated at the end of the first season for good. I mean, who would they replace him with? (Hint: We found out 9 seasons later)

Shredder/Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady made the show as much as the Turtles did. Keeping a familiar set of villains worked well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
It could have worked if it followed close to Mirage, but I think the show needed a "super villain" that stuck around throughout the series and Shredder and Krang fit that.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Turtlemania never would have happened if they kept it closer to Mirage's interpretation.
I don't think it would have so much given that it was the 80s. I think if it would've started in the 90s...maybe about '93 when action shows were less slap sticky, then yeah.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist
 
Type 97 Chi-ha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
The original movie at least stayed close to the Mirage comic. Of course the Turtles were very well established in the public eye by then.
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There weren't many plot-driven cartoons back then. Even Batman: TAS was largely episodic. Back then shows were written in such a way that kids could watch them out of order and it wouldn't make a difference.

When I was a kid I never saw cartoons in their proper order, I just watched whatever random episode they showed. It worked better that way. Nowadays shows are much more plot-driven but I can't imagine being 6 years old and missing eps and wondering what the hell is going on.
Exactly. Kids don't keep schedules. Now, my six-year-old cousins have all their favorite show's DVR'd.

When I was little, I didn't even know when new episodes of Ninja Turtles (I'm sure I watched it primarily in syndication, as I was born in '87, and somehow missed the Red Sky period) or Power Rangers came on. I just know they were on when I sat in front of the TV. Sometimes I had seen the episode before, and sometimes I hadn't. I bet the only stuff I saw new was Spider-Man and X-Men, because they were Saturday morning.

Plus, as it's been said, there wasn't enough story in the comic for a series.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
billbot85
Mad Scientist
 
billbot85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I think it might have been even stronger and better remembered had they kept it closer to Fred Wolf's first season, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Turtlemania never would have happened if they kept it closer to Mirage's interpretation.
I have to agree with both of you. Had it not been for Fred Wolfe's Ninja Turtles, the craze wouldn't have exploded the way it did back in the day. Even if the cartoon was originally for the purpose of selling the Playmates toys, it became so much bigger with that. By 1989/1990, Ninja Turtles were everywhere and on everything considered merchandise, as well as spawning 3 films. It'd what got me into them, and I'm sure most of the Dromers here.

And yes, I feel the series would've been even better if it stuck to the darker, more serious tone of Season 1.
__________________
MY COMPLETE WISH LIST:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...03#post1120403

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Most kids would probably not care, since they didn't used to read Mirage, just Archie.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot85 View Post
I have to agree with both of you. Had it not been for Fred Wolfe's Ninja Turtles, the craze wouldn't have exploded the way it did back in the day. Even if the cartoon was originally for the purpose of selling the Playmates toys, it became so much bigger with that. By 1989/1990, Ninja Turtles were everywhere and on everything considered merchandise, as well as spawning 3 films. It'd what got me into them, and I'm sure most of the Dromers here.

And yes, I feel the series would've been even better if it stuck to the darker, more serious tone of Season 1.
Season 1 was not darker nor more serious than any other season in the show.

The "darker" seasons were the Red Sky ones.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Season 1 was not darker nor more serious than any other season in the show.

The "darker" seasons were the Red Sky ones.
I think people tend to remember it as being more serious because it had an overall story arc in those first five episodes. Plus Shredder still seemed like a credible threat because he wasn't constantly being defeated yet.

I'm glad the cartoon series did its own thing. It actually makes the movie version that much cooler, because when you were young and only knew about the cartoon show, the live action movie introduced you to the idea of a darker Turtles storyline. If the cartoon had followed the comics more closely as well, the movie wouldn't have been as special.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
alliance
Hench Mutant
 
alliance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 328
what about parent groups?? had they went with a darker tone or more serious or whatever do u think they would've been lynched since they were already after them and that's the funny 'goofy' turtles we had..
__________________

80's TURTLES MUCH COOLER THAN FORGOTTEN 4KIDS
alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
what about parent groups?? had they went with a darker tone or more serious or whatever do u think they would've been lynched since they were already after them and that's the funny 'goofy' turtles we had..
I don't think it's a "darkness" thing. The first season isn't particularly dark or complicated. Its episodes also hold up as one-offs, despite playing into a larger plot, so I don't think being too serialized would be a concern.

When I say the series might have been more successful for having stuck closer to season one, I say that in the sense that season one is how most people actually remember the show. It's genuinely funny and has great action as well. It seems like several shocks most people encounter upon revisiting episodes are that 1) they're not all that funny, consistently, 2) they're incredibly repetitive, and 3) the action almost disappears.

Had they kept a little closer in structure and tone to season one while still introducing all the fun, iconic Playmates characters later seasons did, I can only think it would have given the show an even bigger following and stronger legacy.

Of course, that may have interfered with trying to get new episodes on air every weekday, and who knows? Maybe that was more key to their success (or capitalizing upon the initial success) than anything else.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I don't think it's a "darkness" thing. The first season isn't particularly dark or complicated. Its episodes also hold up as one-offs, despite playing into a larger plot, so I don't think being too serialized would be a concern.

When I say the series might have been more successful for having stuck closer to season one, I say that in the sense that season one is how most people actually remember the show. It's genuinely funny and has great action as well. It seems like several shocks most people encounter upon revisiting episodes are that 1) they're not all that funny, consistently, 2) they're incredibly repetitive, and 3) the action almost disappears.

Had they kept a little closer in structure and tone to season one while still introducing all the fun, iconic Playmates characters later seasons did, I can only think it would have given the show an even bigger following and stronger legacy.

Of course, that may have interfered with trying to get new episodes on air every weekday, and who knows? Maybe that was more key to their success (or capitalizing upon the initial success) than anything else.
Wait, what? Season 3 is generally the iconic season that people remember the most when talking about the old show.

Season 1 might be the most liked, but Season 3 was rerun to death and all the most important characters are introduced in it.

Also I wouldn't say the action disappears. There are some episodes with no fighting at all, but there are plenty around them with plenty of action.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
I used to be a huge fan of the OT, and I still am for nostalgic reasons...but comparing it to the 4Kids series or the Nick series, it's pretty bad. Sure the characters, humor and whatnot were good, but the story lines and "fight scenes" (after the first two seasons at least) are really just too cheesy.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.