The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Am I The Only One Who Feels Bad for Megan Fox?

Obligatory statement: No; she's not a very good actress.

However, based on all I've read, she doesn't sound like a bad person, and I'm pretty put-off by those who attack her as the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Michael Bay.

I get that Megan Fox's main contribution to the Transformers films was sex appeal, but is that her fault? She didn't ask to be born attractive, she didn't ask to be named the most attractive woman in the world, and she didn't write her part in the Transformers movies. Based on her public appearances, it seems like she's rather uncomfortable with being oggled by so many.

Furthermore, I don't know about you, but I found her a shell of a lot more interesting and admirable in those movies than I did Shia Lebeuf's character. McKaila Banes was there for sex appeal, but she was still a strong, liberated female character who could fix cars, and then, in the second movie, she rescued the same spineless boyfriend who dumped her and got with a new girl almost instantly. In fact, I enjoyed that more than some of the stuff with the robots--I shouldn't have, but the unfortunate reality was that her scenes just made more sense.

Off camera, Fox also had the guts to call out Michael Bay for his bloated egotism, and also wondered if his movies were bad for her image. (Apparently so.) For that, he fired her, and I remember reading people saying things like "Hooray, Megan Fox is gone" rather than "Damn; that Michael Bay is a vindictive jerk." I hope nobody ever was under the impression that Bay fired her in order to please naysayers; I never saw DOTM, but apparently, it didn't really fix much.

My conclusion is that Fox is an independent woman, not half-dumb, and badly misblamed for low movie quality. She's not a good actress, but that isn't a point against her when it seems like acting probably isn't what she really wants to do; she's just become most well-known as an actress who sells tickets, and so it's an easy paycheck. I'm not saying her being in a movie is any incentive for me to see it, but after hearing it's produced by Michael Bay, hearing him say the Turtles are aliens, and seeing that leaked script, it isn't at all a deterrent, either.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
madyankees
Hench Mutant
 
madyankees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 329
I personally think she's not that half bad.
And she's waaaay better that whoever that girl was in TF3.
madyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
She's rich.

So yes, you are literally the only one who feels sorry for her.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist
 
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,229
I liked her in Jennifer's Body.

And while you make some decent points...
We dont know how she really is outside of movies. But that's fine, she can be the sweetest person ever.
And despite what she said about Bay that got her fired from the TF franchise, he hired her back for this movie.

I never found her as attractive as many others seem to, she's about average to me.

And I dont go out of my way to watch or not watch her movies. Honestly I thought the TF first movie was weak in general. And aside from Jennifer's Body, I haven't really seen her in much else. How To Loose Friends And Alienate People? She played her part there and it was fine.

my problem just rests on the fact that Bay is directing and Fox is about the last choice I would have for April.
BUT, hey, she could be great... who knows. But she's still being directed by Bay so we may not get much more out of her than what he wanted from her in TF.
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I now feel sorry for the poor, attractive, rich woman.

Sorry, I've always loathed the "It's so hard being pretty." clap trap. Oh, please.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
"It's so hard being pretty, that I spend what most people spend on a year's worth of rent on procedures to make me MORE pretty!"

Nah whatever I'm sure she's a terrific human being. I wish her no harm, nor would I kick her out of bed for eating crackers. She just ain't worth the attention she gets. And nobody on Earth deserves the money these people get paid.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant
 
Captain PunchYouHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
Let me th---no.

Megan Fox wasn't terrible in the Transformers movies because her part was written badly. She was terrible because she's a terrible actress. Compare, for example, Natalie Portman in the SW prequels. All three movies, including Portman's role, were cringeworthy. Yet she gave the best performance she could and actually elevated the films somewhat.

If Megan Fox were really bothered by being famous and attractive, or by the prospect of helping to ruin movies, she'd stop acting and posing for cheesecake. It's not like she'd be in the poorhouse if she stopped now, or even three years ago.
__________________

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
You're nuts, most of Eps. II & III were awesome. MOST of it.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant
 
Captain PunchYouHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You're nuts, most of Eps. II & III were awesome. MOST of it.
Yeah, if they'd been Disney movies.
__________________

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I always felt Star Wars was a fairy tale and not science fiction, so I thought it was fine.

I know, it's not a popular opinion. I live with it. I saw Speed Racer three times in theaters. I have a deep, sincere appreciation for the under-appreciated.

I will also neck-stab anyone who implies Speed Racer was anything less than Amazing On Every Migraine-Inducing Level. Just so we're all clear. Best. Wachowski Movie. EVER.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Cookie View Post
Yeah, if they'd been Disney movies.
Well, technically....
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703


WHOOOOOO!!!! TWO IN ONE NIGHT!
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant
 
Captain PunchYouHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, technically....
I have to admit I laughed when that happened, because the prequels made it pretty obvious that it's what Lucas was gunning for all along (well, since the prequels anyway).
__________________

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I suppose it would be far more fair to make fuss at those who chose to cast her, rather than the girl herself, sure.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist
 
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I always felt Star Wars was a fairy tale and not science fiction, so I thought it was fine.

I know, it's not a popular opinion. I live with it. I saw Speed Racer three times in theaters. I have a deep, sincere appreciation for the under-appreciated.

I will also neck-stab anyone who implies Speed Racer was anything less than Amazing On Every Migraine-Inducing Level. Just so we're all clear. Best. Wachowski Movie. EVER.
I agree, it's more "fantasy" than "science fiction".
I think Lucas is on record, somewhere, saying he wrote it as a fantasy story anyway. It defiantly fits "Fantasy" better than "science fiction".
And I love Speed Racer. I saw it in IMAX too. And I own the BluRay. And some rare 2 disc DVD version with slip cover. And the soundtrack score. And the single. Love that movie for what it is even when I get pissed at Sprittle and Chim Chim.
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
True story: Saw the movie, next day got the Mach 5 "M" tattoo, then saw it again. That's the only "cartoon movie" in history that actually got the entire f*cking point of turning a cartoon into a movie, and was just as balls-out total nonsense insane as the cartoon show on every single level. They f*cking nailed it, it could not have been any better. John f*cking Goodman, I mean COME ON, man! Also, "Co-Starring Susan Sarandon and Her MILF Rack!" Inspector Detector? Snake F*cking Oiler? The GRX? Who else EVER put so much fan-service into any movie adaptation, ever? Yes, it was loud, over-the-top, unbelievable, and dumb, and that was the entire point, and I'm so glad it exists. Every time I watch it, I love it a little more. That desert race with the Mach 5, where Speed finally has his stupid ascot... (sigh). Just amazing.

Of course, 90% of Earth missed the point and expected something serious and NOT dumb or silly. Crazy people; Speed Racer isn't supposed to be serious. THEY HAVE A MONKEY, AND NOBODY EVER TALKS ABOUT IT! IT'S JUST THERE! LOGIC DOESN'T EXIST HERE!!!
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Wait...Speed Racer could have totally had the tag line "From the Producers/Directors of The Matrix Trilogy"?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Yes. Although, comparing "Speed Racer" to "The Matrix" is an insult to Speed Racer.

One movie is a joyful romp through a futuristic world where the impossible is mundane and you quickly learn to expect the unexpected, where a world of wonder is brought to life through the magic of CGI the levels of which had never been seen before, and ultimate good triumphs over ultimate evil through hard work, faith, and teamwork.

The other movie is some ol' pretentious bullsh*t.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I now feel sorry for the poor, attractive, rich woman.

Sorry, I've always loathed the "It's so hard being pretty." clap trap. Oh, please.
It sounds like Jester has been watching/listening too much of this music video :



Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I suppose it would be far more fair to make fuss at those who chose to cast her, rather than the girl herself, sure.
I would agree with Powder here.
...And the only reason why they cast her is because us (the public) assumingly wants her in the movies since the films she was associated with were so profitable. If people were just that adamant about her not being in movies, they wouldn't be seeing the movies she's involved with.

But I don't have anything against Megan Fox per say, most movies she's involved with are not profoundly deep or poignant (besides would the public really want to watch it anyways if it was?), and the public has already come to expect it. If the director, producers, and executives associated with the film, truly wanted a film that was "Oscar-worthy" rather than a huge blockbuster cash cow, they would have casted a different actress altogether.

For all we know, she may be very intelligent and a sweetheart in her private life, but decides to accept these sexy roles just to make it into Hollywood and establish herself in it. Yes, she may not have the best acting, but in the ruthlessly competitive market of the entertainment industry, why not use one's good looks to their advantage? Besides... it's not like these young actors/actresses can retain their good looks forever, on top of the public's attention-deficit disorder taste in entertainment.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 08-09-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
pingclang
Stone Warrior
 
pingclang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 552
I've got this whole weird philosophy that if you're gonna be cast in a movie, it should be because you're a good actor/actress, not because you're pretty. I have no pity for the image she was given since she had to know she was trying out for the role of the sexy 17 year old we shouldn't be looking at who isn't 17 in Transformers and sort of type-cast herself by returning for Transformers 2 and then signing on for Jennifer`s Body.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drugs, megan fox


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.