The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 265
UK fans: Did BBC1 broadcast "How It All Began" as the premiere?

Somebody else mentioned in a different recent thread about the UK Hero Turtles "How It All Began" feature length VHS. This 48 minute episode combined bits and pieces from season 1, "Blast From The Past" and the first few episodes of season 2. I know the video very well, but never considered that it had actually also been shown on TV.

The first episode I ever saw of TMHT was "Curse of the Evil Eye" in January 1990. I assumed I'd missed a few episodes already and just picked up from there. When the series was repeated later in the year (as part of "Going Live") they started from "Return of the Shredder", so I later always assumed that BBC only ever broadcast season 2-3.

However... did in fact BBC1 broadcast "How It All Began" as its Turtles premiere? That compilation episode ends with "Mean Machines", which I believe is the episode just before "Curse". Perhaps I only missed one (hacked-together) episode all those years ago...

So, simple question to the UK fans who can remember: Did BBC1 broadcast "How It All Began" back in Jan 1990?
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
I really can't remember, but they did show it on BBC so it's likely. I use to have the video when I was a kid, and I think it was the same as what was shown on the TV at the time.

So I can only think yes, but saying that, shows back in those days were broadcast a bit willy nilly.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 265
Thanks mate, interesting to hear it was definitely shown at least at some point.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior
 
Blossombrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 'hero' turtle land
Posts: 946
I had the VHS and I seem to think I'd already seen it before I watched the tape. I wore that tape out though, lol! Wish they'd re-done it on DVD, they haven't...have they?
__________________
There's too much green to feel blue!
http://blossombrooks.deviantart.com/
Blossombrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
I had the VHS and I seem to think I'd already seen it before I watched the tape. I wore that tape out though, lol! Wish they'd re-done it on DVD, they haven't...have they?

Best bet is to get this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Muta...+ninja+turtles

it's awesome for what it is.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior
 
Blossombrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 'hero' turtle land
Posts: 946
^ Thank you

I have that already but I was really just after the uk edit. I totally agree it is awesome though!
__________________
There's too much green to feel blue!
http://blossombrooks.deviantart.com/
Blossombrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
I don't know if it was shown as any kind of premiere, but it was definately shown at some point in 1990, possibly during the CBBC holiday programming (it may even have been a bank holiday). I remember watching it at my parents' friends' house during a barbecue, and I distinctly remember it being shown as 2 back-to-back episodes, rather than one long episode. At the time, it was only the 3rd or 4th time I'd watched the cartoon.

I'm not sure when TMHT started broadcasting in the UK. Every source I've seen says 1990, but I'm fairly sure it started being shown in late 1989 - I got the First graphic novels around October '89, mainly 'cause the Turtles were the hottest thing at my school at that time and I wanted to see what the fuss was about...
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone remember the baseball caps they did? they were black, with a blue, red, orange or purple peak, and a little picture of the particular turtle on the front in a square box. I had the Leo one and wore it everywhere.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone remember the baseball caps they did? they were black, with a blue, red, orange or purple peak, and a little picture of the particular turtle on the front in a square box. I had the Leo one and wore it everywhere.
"Little off topic"? That's about as off topic as it gets...
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
lol, just the whole hero turtles thing, reminded me of how crazy I was about the show in it's prime.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
I had the VHS and I seem to think I'd already seen it before I watched the tape. I wore that tape out though, lol! Wish they'd re-done it on DVD, they haven't...have they?
Really? You want badly edited episodes of the show mixed together into an incoherent mess? I never liked that video. I'm glad Sky One eventually showed Season 1 episode by episode. The first episode of the Ninja Turtles I watched was Return of the Shredder on Going Live. I was under the impression that was the first time they'd showed it. So it was shown earlier than that? Interesting...

I can't remember the BBC ever showing How It All Began. Maybe I missed it but considering it was a compilation story for video I doubt the BBC would show this. What is interesting is that depending on whether you saw the video, BBC or the Sky One airings of the episodes the nunchucks editing was different. Watch out for when Splinter is introducing the Turtles to April: the editing on Michelangelo is different depending on which version you see.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Really? You want badly edited episodes of the show mixed together into an incoherent mess? I never liked that video. I'm glad Sky One eventually showed Season 1 episode by episode. The first episode of the Ninja Turtles I watched was Return of the Shredder on Going Live. I was under the impression that was the first time they'd showed it. So it was shown earlier than that? Interesting...

I can't remember the BBC ever showing How It All Began. Maybe I missed it but considering it was a compilation story for video I doubt the BBC would show this. What is interesting is that depending on whether you saw the video, BBC or the Sky One airings of the episodes the nunchucks editing was different. Watch out for when Splinter is introducing the Turtles to April: the editing on Michelangelo is different depending on which version you see.
Well, for me there's a fascination with "Hero" Turtles. Partly borne from nostalgia perhaps, but I'm nerdy enough that the way things are edited/censored, the decisions made etc, is kind of interesting to me.

Your final point, about all the different ways episode 1 was edited (and this was just in the UK) is a case in point: I find that kind of thing appealing. Of course, I'd be moaning if we still didn't have access to the original/unedited Ninja Turtles... but we do now, and so the Hero Turtles is a kind of cool 'extra way' for me to enjoy the phenomenon.

At least for me!
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior
 
Blossombrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 'hero' turtle land
Posts: 946
^agreed!

And yes I do want that unholy mish-mash, I didn't have any other access to tmnt, no sky tv for me. It's just a part of my childhood and I'd love to see it again.
__________________
There's too much green to feel blue!
http://blossombrooks.deviantart.com/
Blossombrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
^agreed!

And yes I do want that unholy mish-mash, I didn't have any other access to tmnt, no sky tv for me. It's just a part of my childhood and I'd love to see it again.
I'm glad I had access to Sky One. I was able to watch Season 4 onwards. The BBC just kept repeating Season 2 and 3 for some reason. I remember on Sky there was one episode of TMNT shown in the morning and one shown in the afternoon.

I never liked the edits. It felt kind of shoddy like there was something wrong with the transmission tapes. I think it's crazy how many different variations of edits there are for How It All Began and the episodes the clips come from. I mean didn't the BBFC ever keep track of the edits they'd made. It would have made things more consistent with the censorship.

By the way I found this thread:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36316
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,384
"The Epic Begins" (season one as one movie) was shown on SKY Movies over here.

And yeah, the BBC were strange, there would be all these video releases of future episodes out and they were still running the same two seasons. I was wondering "when are we gonna get the Technodrome in the artic?" (I'd read a sticker album that revealed that location)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Yes and Sky One eventually showed Season 1 as five episodes, rather than the edited movie so that was cool.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Slash2000
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 30
Hello all, just joined and this is my first post.

I first saw the Turtles cartoon on holiday in the US in 1989 and when I returned to the UK was mad about them. I remember having to wait well into the 1990s for them to come on TV though and when they did the series started with the Return of Shredder episode - it was broadcast on BBC1.

I was appalled that they had mauled the theme tune and I could see that the cartoon had been cut (to remove nunchakus mainly).

Later I got the how it all began video and again it had been heavily censored to the point where the story didn't make sense.

I have never actually seen the uncut episodes! I think I still have one of the VHS tapes and I have a few episodes still taped off tv.
Slash2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 265
The series was being shown on BBC1 in January 1990. If you waited "well into 1990", it was probably the repeat showings (which started Sept/Oct 1990 as I recall) as part of "Going Live" that you caught - that did indeed start with "Return of the Shredder".

If you want to catch some uncut episodes, Amazon UK has the complete season 1-2 DVD set for about a tenner.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
The series was being shown on BBC1 in January 1990. If you waited "well into 1990", it was probably the repeat showings (which started Sept/Oct 1990 as I recall) as part of "Going Live" that you caught - that did indeed start with "Return of the Shredder".

If you want to catch some uncut episodes, Amazon UK has the complete season 1-2 DVD set for about a tenner.
And it is a great DVD might I add. Just wish they would release a box-set here, of every episode!
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
Slash2000
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks! I will seek it out
Slash2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.