The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
"Why my Turtlez has lips?" - An Explainer

Pulling this out of the other design thread so we can all read it, discuss it, collectively wipe our brows and get on with our day.

We've recently seen a picture of what is purported to be a leaked design for Michelangelo in the form of an early Halloween costume ad. Predictably, this has led to many complaints, by far the stupidest of which is that he has "lips."

So, here it is. Why your Turtles have lips:

Quote:
The Turtles might have something resembling lips because you absolutely need those muscles to make any sounds remotely resembling English phonemes.

In cartoons, you can get away with lip-sync because it doesn't need to look realistic. The Nicktoons models can be flat-faced and lipless all day long because, at the end of the day, as long as their mouth makes a vaguely convincing shape that corresponds to the correct sound, you'll buy that it's what they're saying.

In a "realistic" movie, that doesn't quite fly. You need those muscles there because, if we're to accept that these mutant, humanoid Turtles created through alien science are capable of speaking our language, they need them. And we've never had anything close to resembling an actual attempt at lip-sync in a live-action Turtle film before.

So, yeah, sorry. Lips. And I'm all aboard the "beak-faced, Zulli-esque monstrosity" train for any future incarnation that wants to ride it. It's just that, not only is this not a bad alternative, it actually makes more sense.
Also, they have nostrils so they can breathe.

Discuss with the utmost alarm and hyperbole.

FIRST-POST ADDENDUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
The first movie turtles didn't have lips, they talked just fine and it looked awesome, cg cartoon turtles didn't have lips...
I've seen this about a dozen times today, so let's break it down again:

The Turtles of the '90s movies get by largely because they're practical effects. There's no lip sync going on whatsoever, though. A CGI model in a live-action movie with that level of facial leeway would look jarringly cartoony (the old costumes are basically mouth open, mouth shut, and one or two other pre-set facial reactions).

CG cartoon Turtles work because they are in a (hyper-stylized, no less) cartoon. See chrisdude's post on the second page.

Last edited by Cipher; 01-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Anton Chigurh
Hench Mutant
 
Anton Chigurh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Panama City Beach
Posts: 474
...........dang........
__________________
"Whats the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?"

"you have meddeled with the primal forces of nature Mr. Beale"
Anton Chigurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior
 
Blossombrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 'hero' turtle land
Posts: 946
Well colour me stupid if you like but as I pointed out in the other thread I don't believe that's the reason. Those lips are there to represent the actor behind him, it's a defining characteristic which will help each of the turtles carry a unique look. I agree it will help with making the speech look realistic but I don't have to like it, some things I like about it others I don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.9 KB, 116 views)
__________________
There's too much green to feel blue!
http://blossombrooks.deviantart.com/
Blossombrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
bridgegrn
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 247
Eh. I understand the logic behind it, I just don't like the way it looks. Classic look all the way for me.
bridgegrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
Well colour me stupid if you like but as I pointed out in the other thread I don't believe that's the reason. Those lips are there to represent the actor behind him, it's a defining characteristic which will help each of the turtles carry a unique look. I agree it will help with making the speech look realistic but I don't have to like it, some things I like about it others I don't.
This is also a fair, practical reason, and I'm guessing both motivations played a part in the design. You need human facial elements for realism; might as well reflect and use more detailed motion-capture from the actors.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior
 
1984TMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 566
And as I mentioned in the other thread:

I think they could easily make the mouth move in the exact way it needs to without "puffed" out lips. Just because in reality, an animal would need full on lips to pronounce English words doesn't mean those same lips need to be shown or rendered exactly the same way.

The point is that these are mutants and don't need to look exactly like humans, even when talking. As you stated earlier, as long as their mouth moves in generaly accepted motions that coincide with certain words, it would be believable enough.

Obviously, we have different opinions on it - and it really is hard to tell without actual visuals to compare. It's a subjective call at best.
__________________
Try to rely on YOUR, Turtle Power!

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
My question is: why do they even need to sound like normal humans speaking in flawless English?

I think if they talked in raspy voices and broken words, strained pronunciations that'd be kind of cool and unique.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
But

Your arguing that the computerized turtles from the show can get away with not having lips but te computized turtles in the movie can't. Care to explain?
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Making excuses for bad designs makes no difference. You know they only gave them lips so one of the Turtles can have a make out scene with Megan Fox.

You heard it here first.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
It actually reminds of the reports of the initial pitches for the first Turtles movie. You know, where it would be Billy Crystal and 3 other comedians with their faces painted green.

But no, nothing that has leaked about any facet of this movie would lead me to believe anything they're doing with the Turtles' (designs or otherwise) is with any kind of earnest intention of making them more "realistic." If they're putting lips on them it's so that they can look cuter, more marketable and more like the actors "playing" them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Making excuses for bad designs makes no difference. You know they only gave them lips so one of the Turtles can have a make out scene with Megan Fox.

You heard it here first.
You're still on that man? I mean I wouldn't put it past him but are you prepared for the sh*tstorm you're gonna get it if doesn't happen? It'll be worse than what you're getting now. I don't see why you have to turn this thing into a soft core porno.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Making excuses for bad designs makes no difference. You know they only gave them lips so one of the Turtles can have a make out scene with Megan Fox.

You heard it here first.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Bob
Stone Warrior
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK, England
Posts: 546
This is the original Transformers film discussion all over again, regarding Optimus Prime having lips. Takes me back. TBH, I didn't care then and I care less now.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
The first movie did just fine

The first 3 and the next mutation did fine actually. So did 'TMNT' you don't need huge lips or lips at all. They're talking turtles. How realistic can it be?
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
xChri5x
Stone Warrior
 
xChri5x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 901
Jodie Foster won an Oscar without lips.
__________________
xChri5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
xChri5x
Stone Warrior
 
xChri5x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
__________________
xChri5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
Wtf. That's the most horrifying thing I've ever seen on this forum.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #18
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
The turtles have more-pronounced lips than I do.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #19
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Screw that logic. Their design is a far cry from realistic. & if you're gonna try to justify things that way, it better go across the board. If a sequel comes out and additional mutants aren't botox lipped beasts, then the turtles didn't have to be either.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #20
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My question is: why do they even need to sound like normal humans speaking in flawless English?

I think if they talked in raspy voices and broken words, strained pronunciations that'd be kind of cool and unique.
Hey, man. I'd be all for it. Like I said, I hope we one day see some pale, monstrous, fear-of-the-uncanny Zulli style designs.

But it should be obvious that was never the direction they were going to go in for this movie. And, historically, the Turtles have sounded like normal humans speaking flawless English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
This is the original Transformers film discussion all over again, regarding Optimus Prime having lips. Takes me back. TBH, I didn't care then and I care less now.
Well, maybe. Because the designs were also the only things I liked about the Transformers movies.

Also, I think people are exaggerating the hugeness of the lips?

Also, also, re: below: thank you.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.