The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior
 
Radical Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 702
Have any of the PD movies actually been good?

I just realized, while I've admired some of the production values, there hasn't been a PD movie I've really liked. Here's a list of all of them so far:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Amityville Horror
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
The Hitcher
The Unborn
Friday the 13th
Horsemen
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Purge

TTCM was decent and I almost liked F13 up until the ending. But so far they don't have a very solid track record from what I've seen. The highest rated one from Rotten Tomatoes was The Purge at 38%.
Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
Is

Is Bad Boys PD? I know it's micheal bay or some affiliation with him and PD, that was good. And I liked Friday the 13th.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Anton Chigurh
Hench Mutant
 
Anton Chigurh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Panama City Beach
Posts: 474
I actually enjoyed NOES, Jackie was a good kruger( odviously no England) but still good. I also enjoyed them trying to make the story have a mythical complete back story.

Everything else meh

The purge sucked, but I do see the sequel being decent. I believe it will become quite a cult franchise. I.e evil deads, phatasims, saws.
__________________
"Whats the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?"

"you have meddeled with the primal forces of nature Mr. Beale"

Last edited by Jester; 04-10-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Merge double post
Anton Chigurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Walkabout
Stone Warrior
 
Walkabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 556
I quite enjoyed their Friday The 13th, but the other remakes they have done have been pretty exploitative and missed the point of what made the originals so well loved...dumbed down, I guess.
__________________
"When did Mickey become Sherk?" -Ralph


R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
When Platinum Dunes was created, it was to make movies with a smaller budget, However with TMNT, That's a pretty big jump in terms of big budget productions, They wanted to branch out of the whole Horror movie genre and concentrate on others.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Those are all horror movies, so...

Personally, I don't care for horror. I haven't seen any of those.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Those are all horror movies, so...

Personally, I don't care for horror. I haven't seen any of those.
the majority of those were remakes, So I see why they want to branch out.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior
 
Radical Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
I quite enjoyed their Friday The 13th, but the other remakes they have done have been pretty exploitative and missed the point of what made the originals so well loved...dumbed down, I guess.
Friday the 13th had a wood chipper at the end of the movie and they DIDN'T use it. That is a crime against gory slasher flicks. I just remember the whole ending of the movie being kind of a let down. But there were some cool gags.
Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raph View Post
I just realized, while I've admired some of the production values, there hasn't been a PD movie I've really liked. Here's a list of all of them so far:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Amityville Horror
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
The Hitcher
The Unborn
Friday the 13th
Horsemen
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Purge

TTCM was decent and I almost liked F13 up until the ending. But so far they don't have a very solid track record from what I've seen. The highest rated one from Rotten Tomatoes was The Purge at 38%.
I do like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Amityville Horror (Chloe Grace Mortiz aka Hitgirl was in that one, and the only time I actually liked Ryan Reynolds, everything else he's in, I can't stand him.) The rest, I had no desire to see, simply because I am not a fan of the originals to begin with.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
graphic_content
Mad Scientist
 
graphic_content's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Those are all horror movies, so...

Personally, I don't care for horror. I haven't seen any of those.
im not a horror person myself - particularly because the definition of horror has shifted from a genuinely scary situation to grotesque ultra violence for its own sake.

what I do think is strange is that Platinum Dunes optioned for this film, when they are primarily known for horror remakes. it makes me wonder, who else was optioning for this film, and what it would have amounted to in the hands of a more experienced production company.
__________________
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
In short? No.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
im not a horror person myself - particularly because the definition of horror has shifted from a genuinely scary situation to grotesque ultra violence for its own sake.

what I do think is strange is that Platinum Dunes optioned for this film, when they are primarily known for horror remakes. it makes me wonder, who else was optioning for this film, and what it would have amounted to in the hands of a more experienced production company.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of horror movies in which the Gore takes center stage.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of horror movies in which the Gore takes center stage.
Same here. I like the suspense more, not the gore. I can handle it, but I'm not a fan of the torture type movies.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Evil_Ash
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Same here. I like the suspense more, not the gore. I can handle it, but I'm not a fan of the torture type movies.
probably the last good horror movie was Drag me to hell, i am not fan of horror, especially modern horror. Because they all take themselves waaaaay to serious.
Evil_Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior
 
Radical Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
im not a horror person myself - particularly because the definition of horror has shifted from a genuinely scary situation to grotesque ultra violence for its own sake.

what I do think is strange is that Platinum Dunes optioned for this film, when they are primarily known for horror remakes. it makes me wonder, who else was optioning for this film, and what it would have amounted to in the hands of a more experienced production company.
Films like Insidious, The Conjuring, and Paranormal Activity, which focus more on tension and atmosphere instead of gore, will hopefully put horror back on the right path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Ash View Post
probably the last good horror movie was Drag me to hell, i am not fan of horror, especially modern horror. Because they all take themselves waaaaay to serious.
I appreciated Drag Me to Hell as a fan of Raimi, but I do feel like it got a little too silly for it's own good.

The Woman in Black is another good, suspenseful horror movie with very little gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
In short? No.
Not only that, but I'd be a little more confident if we were at least working with an established director here. Instead we got the guy who did Battle: LA and Wrath of the Titans. Two very mediocre, sometimes terrible, movies.

I will say that I absolutely love everything they've shown in the trailer so far for TMNT and the look of the film. But my point is, I love the look of all of the PD movies. It's just too bad they don't have the substance to back it up. At the very least, they have been fairly dedicated when it comes to paying homage and staying true to the roots of the characters in their remakes. So that gives me some hope. And with such a rich history to play around in with TMNT, they can't possibly screw this up too bad... right?

Last edited by Jester; 04-10-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Merge Triple Post
Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raph View Post
Not only that, but I'd be a little more confident if we were at least working with an established director here. Instead we got the guy who did Battle: LA and Wrath of the Titans. Two very mediocre, sometimes terrible, movies.

I will say that I absolutely love everything they've shown in the trailer so far for TMNT and the look of the film. But my point is, I love the look of all of the PD movies. It's just too bad they don't have the substance to back it up. At the very least, they have been fairly dedicated when it comes to paying homage and staying true to the roots of the characters in their remakes. So that gives me some hope. And with such a rich history to play around in with TMNT, they can't possibly screw this up too bad... right?
I can't argue that Bay (and those in the PD wheelhouse) don't have a certain style. It's not one I personally enjoy, but that's pretty subjective. However, what they've proven they don't have is much of is substance, and that's something I expect from pretty much any movie.

It's amazing how much style and substance we've been getting from superhero movies and kids' movies these days. The bar is set pretty high. But even some evidence of genuine effort to make this more than a heavy-filter/contrast-style explosion-fest would give me more hope about this movie.

I am a bit cynical about this. I admit that. But there are plenty of genuine reasons for concern. Guess time will tell.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior
 
MajorViolence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 555
I enjoyed Friday the 13th, but that's mostly because I love awful horror movies that borderline being horror comedy. Jason X is my favorite from the original series, if that gives you some indication of what aspects I'm enjoying. So, it was no surprise to me that people hated that film, since it played up a lot of the goofy aspects I love, instead of using the opportunity to reboot as a way of getting the film back on track to the seriously creepy horror of the original few films.
__________________
MajorViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
Bay has made, and produced quite a few entertaining films. People like to bully him, but honestly he's not bad. Yes, he likes hot chicks, and explosions. I didn't know having testosterone in one's body is bad thing. I like those things. He makes dumb, fun, popcorn movies. Why do people hold him to such higher standards? He doesn't act like he's Kubrick or something.
Some people like to bully him cause hes successful and they are not.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
JoshDA7X
Hench Mutant
 
JoshDA7X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 261
I liked them all, they had flaws but overall I enjoyed them. Maybe I'm just easily pleased!
__________________


Donatello: You're a claustrophobic.
Casey Jones: You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy.
JoshDA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raph View Post
Here's a list of all of them so far:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
I dug it.

Quote:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
I also dug it. Maybe moreso than the first.

Quote:
Friday the 13th
Really dug it. It's a clever "reboot" that also manages to function just fine as a sequel to "Freddy vs. Jason."

Haven't seen any of the others.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.