The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja
 
samxsteal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
Posts: 2,788
Tmnt imax

TMNT Article post conversion IMAX

http://www.beautyworldnews.com/artic...s-on-aug-8.htm

Quote:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will hit theaters on its release date, Aug. 8, but fans watching the highly anticipated Michael Bay movie will have a more action-packed, exciting theater experience. Why, you ask?

Paramount Pictures and Platinum Dunes announced that "TMNT" will be digitally re-mastered into IMAX format and released into select international theaters on Thursday morning.

The film, starring Megan Fox and Will Arnett, has already got many longtime Turtles fans going crazy. And now, the IMAX experience will add onto the excitement.

"Longtime partners Michael Bay and Jonathan Liebesman have done a wonderful job of updating this classic franchise for a next-generation audience," said Greg Foster, Senior Executive Vice President, IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment in a press release.

Foster continued, "We look forward to teaming up with Paramount and bringing these fun, relatable and action-fueled characters to life in the most immersive way possible - through The IMAX Experience."

The movie will offer a modern-day update of the popular animated franchise. In the film, the turtles work with brave reporter, April O'Neil (Megan Fox) and her "wise-cracking" cameraman Vern Fenwick (Will Arnett) to save New York City and outsmart famed nemisis, Shredder, who has a devious plan.

Based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters created by Peter Lairdand Kevin Eastman, the movie is produced by Bay, who directed and executively helmed the "Transformer" franchise. Josh Appelbaum & André Nemec and Evan Daugherty created the film's screenplay.

And Jonathan Liebesman, known for the "Wrath of the Titans," directed the film.

Are you going to see Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo on the big screen? Can't wait to see the highly anticipated movie? Tell us with a note below!
__________________
AVATAR ^_^ ....

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
will be interesting to see which theaters will be playing it in IMAX here... so many films get the IMAX treatment these days that there aren't enough screens to play them all in that format in every area.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
i hardly see movies in imax for that reason all 3 "near" me are at least a day trip
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
I don't have an IMAX theater where I live, Only a Muvico Theater, Which does 3D also.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
YES!!! I was hoping they'd do this!! Just when I think my excitement for this has peaked lol
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 581
Nice find. I've been looking for something related to this for a while. I'm trying to see this movie in the best experience possible, so i've been looking at imax theaters where I live. I know there are a lot of theaters that claim to be imax but are not real imax theaters. Was tmnt shot in IMAX? Or is it just converted to imax? If anyone knows any real imax theaters here in dfw I'd appreciate it.
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."


** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
I feel stupid asking this, but I don't even have one near me so...what's so special about an Imax theater, anyway?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Mainly just a massive screen size. If you wanna see the Bay Turtles the size of your house...then you're in luck. Imax is for you.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I feel stupid asking this, but I don't even have one near me so...what's so special about an Imax theater, anyway?
honestly, for me personally nothing, its just a giant "clearer" screen


and at times movies make special Imax scenes that are meant to be better on those giant screens


i know Dark knight and transformers 2 and Ghost protocal had imax specific scenes

i have grown to dislike them cause i have a friend who says they are gods gift to man

but for 20 bucks a ticket i am good
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
So, just a bigger screen then? Eh, not a big deal to me. The closest Imax theater for me is at least an hour and half away...and 20 bucks a ticket? Yeah, no thanks
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Think of it as A REALLY BIG SCREEN


the best way to describe its size is that in one scene in transformers 2 optimus would be represented in full 40ft size

around me normally its 11.50 but like you said its quite the drive away from me

plus thats not including if it brings special glasses which are an extra fee
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
It's not filmed with IMAX cameras...

As of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I still don't think the conversion looks good. The movies are still dark and blurry. (As long as this movie doesn't have any nighttime scenes, it should be fine. ) They also crop the movies, a lot of times, so they fit the IMAX's nearly square screen. I find that intolerable. And IMAX is just a pain in the butt to go to, because of few their locations, distance from most people, and lack of showtimes because most IMAX theaters only have one screen.

But I do have one group of friends who are hooked on the stuff, and I'm sure I'll end up seeing TMNT in IMAX on opening weekend. But that certainly won't be my first viewing.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
Cheesebrush
Foot Soldier
 
Cheesebrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 206
Not wishing to burst anyone's bubble but the press release above actually only mentions an IMAX release in international theatres i.e. not US.

I'm quite sure a US will happen, it just hasn't been officially announced yet, but it's not impossible it won't - I don't think it would be the first time an IMAX film has been overseas only.

I very much like IMAX but you have to be careful as there are 2 different sorts. Proper IMAX is the really seriously big, purpose built almost square screens. This is where you sometimes get the special "filmed in IMAX" footage such as for Batman, MI:4, Tron Legacy, Star Trek into Darkness etc. These theatres have 70mm film projectors (and sometimes digital too) and should be the best sort to visit for a proper large format IMAX experience.

Then there are the smaller IMAX screens that are digital IMAX only and tend to be existing theatres that have been retrofitted. The screens are normal cinema screen shape but a bit bigger, although nowhere near as big as proper IMAX.

Both sorts of screens also have really good sound systems too.

You can read more about it here http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/

At the (proper) IMAX I visit in London, I have never seen a cropped version of a film - the picture is letterboxed so it doesn't use the full screen. Maybe they sometimes crop 2.35:1 films to fill 1.85:1 screens for IMAX digital presentation?
Cheesebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I feel stupid asking this, but I don't even have one near me so...what's so special about an Imax theater, anyway?
The theater isn't so much special, it's just when the film makers use the actual IMAX camera, that is when it becomes special. But due to it being so damn expensive, very few movies use it, and when they do, it's for only one scene in the movie. And you can tell when they are using the IMAX camera. Regular footage is shown with a letter box cropped look, but when and IMAx scene is shown, the footage takes up the entire screen, and looks more similar to what and old TV screen would look, not the theatrical letter box screen.

Also, directors and studios often have extra footage and promos saved for the IMAx screens. I know the forest fight in TF2 was extended on IMAX, and was also using the IMAX camera for it, I believe the tower scene was extended and shot on IMAX for Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (that scene was wicked in IMAX) the scene where Batman flies throughout China to get to the accountant was in IMAX camera, and in Thor 2, they showed a promo of Captain America 2, the elevator scene in IMAX theaters, unfortunately, the scene didn't use IMAX cameras.

I personally believe, unless they use the IMAX camera in the movie for a scene, then the theaters shouldn't be charging the extra money.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
I cant wait to see this in IMAX. For me its the best way to see a movie. The 3D stuff gives me a headache..

Last edited by Puddinpop; 05-24-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier
 
HotNunchuckFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 160
I can't be doing with stuff in 3D either, it puts me off, so I just watch films in 2D. I've never seen anything in IMAX, but have wanted to for awhile now. So glad TMNT got given this treatment!
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I'd watch it on 3D first and on repeat viewings on IMAX/others.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.