The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,035
If you were above the age of the target audience when you first saw it...

... What is your opinion of the first cartoon?
Keep in mind, this question is only for people who did not watch many or any episodes of it before they were older than the target audience. The people who do not have childhood nostalgia for the cartoon.

I was a too young to watch it when it stopped airing so when I first watched an episode I was about 14-15. Not to go into too much detail, I've never held the first cartoon in very high regard in terms of quality. It's undeniably important to the franchise but I can't say it's good when simply judged as entertainment.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
I had completely forgotten about most of the episodes when the DVDs came out so it was like experiencing them for the first time. I enjoyed most of the episodes.

As long as you accept the show for what it is, a fun, episodic and silly show about good guys versus comical and goofy villains, it's great entertainment.

The OT came at a time when cartoons were meant to be fun turn your brain off entertainment. That's why adults can still enjoy it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
My response is similar to CyberCubed's. I enjoyed the series moderately back then as a kid, but I forgot most of the plots, villains and individual episodes by the time I became a teenager and was interested in other hobbies, but after watching them again through adult eyes (wondering what I saw in it back then), I enjoy its charismatic tone especially the chemistry with the voice actors. (Can't say the same for some of the other cartoons I rewatched back then, such as Super Mario Bros. which is just red-face, funny embarrassment moments sometimes with the live-actor intros before the actual cartoon began.) There are a lot of finer details in the OT (subtle humor, breaking the fourth wall, and deeper themes such as with the economy with Kerma's gold machine and importance of publicity in "Turtles on Trial"), that I never bothered contemplating before as a kid but noticed in the cartoon again, which actually made me have a deeper level of appreciation for it.

I showed my younger cousins the OT the first time (they generally knew about it but never really bothered with TMNT worrying that it was "too old") last year when they were 20, 17, and 13 years old and they enjoyed the series more than I did since it was the first time they experienced it. Now they aren't enthusiastic to watch it all the time, but they usually bring up viewing the series whenever I stop by and visit.

It really depends what you are looking for in this series. If you want easier, lighter plots (remember it was designed for syndication, so the plots had to fit within one episode) with a generally comedic tone (and some occasional serious moments) and feel good endings, then you'll enjoy it. If that's not how you want to enjoy TMNT, then it won't be enjoyable.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 07-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I had completely forgotten about most of the episodes when the DVDs came out so it was like experiencing them for the first time. I enjoyed most of the episodes.
Seriously? In the late 90's, I went to all of the local video stores and rented every VHS I could find. The video stores near me, pretty much all of which have gone out of business, carried many VHS tapes from the original cartoon. It hadn't really been that long since I'd seen many of the episodes from the series. And I still remembered the majority of the rest of the episodes from seasons 1-4. I didn't remember the episodes from seasons 5-8 as much because I was far more interested in sports and video games from 1992-1996.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fred wolf series, nostalgia


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.