![]() |
|
|||||||
| View Poll Results: Should Mikey be voiced by a woman? | |||
| Yes |
|
2 | 3.77% |
| No |
|
37 | 69.81% |
| I don't care |
|
14 | 26.42% |
| Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll | |||
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
#1 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,023
|
Should Mikey be voiced by a woman?
Ok this may sound weird at first but I think Mikey would sound a lot better if a woman voiced him instead of a man. Not having the character be changed into a female, just him being voiced by a woman, Mikey would still be a dude.
See Mikey reminds me a lot of characters like Goku, Krillin, Luffy and Bart, all of whom are voiced by women (in their original casting anyway, I can't say they are in all versions). Now imagine if Bart was voiced by a man, that would make him sound like more prick than he is right? But somehow that feminine voice is improving that and I feel that the annoying aspects of the cartoon Mikey's might be a bit solidified by the distinctly masculine voice. Now I know know that in the case of all of these characters (except maybe Luffy), it's that they started out as children and needed higher pitched voices but they all share traits with Mikey that don't seem as annoying to me when it comes to them. Another example is Peter Pan, Peter is typically played by a woman in the stage play and to me he seems like a less annoying character there than the Disney movie where he's clearly voiced by a teenage boy. Am I making sense or am I just being crazy here? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Space Cowboy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
|
I kind of find that to be a bad idea honestly. I mean the characters you listed are only voiced by women because they're young children. And even Goku and Krillin's voice got deeper as they became adults. Mikey is a teenager, it would make no sense to have him sound like that.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
|
Only if there were a "Ninja Turtle Babies" incarnation.
Some adult male cartoon characters are voiced by women, one example being Rocky The Flying Squirrel of the "Bullwinkle and Rocky" cartoon series, whose only voice actress was June Foray. He was an adult squirrel, but his small size compared to every other character in the series made the higher-pitched voice appropriate for the situation. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,783
|
Dumb idea. Mikey's voice in the 3 cartoons, the live action trilogy, etc. was good.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
|
Maybe if he was half the age. Now? Nah..
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
tactical blackquill
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
|
I wouldn't mind. I also wouldn't mind if Donatello was voiced by a woman.
A woman can still voice a male character. It doesn't make a negative statement about the character if they have a crossdressing VA. The very thought that it might is sexist. That and the idea that a woman can't voice a teenage or even adult male, and outright dismissing the possibility, makes me uncomfortable for reasons I can't really explain. Two of my favourite female VAs have done phenomenal male voices. In fact, if Blaustein were still alive, I'd think she'd be a good pick for Raphael, since she also voiced Lt. Surge.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
無問題
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
|
I miss Blaustein's work
As for the question at hand, I'm going to go with "no" with an asterisk. I believe in getting the best actor possible for the job regardless of gender, age, race, etc. So if a series were to get an actress for any Turtle simply for the sake of getting an actress? Even if she turned out to be the best incarnation ever, it'd still leave a bad taste in my mental mouth because of how many potential guys could have done equally well or better but never had a chance. But if I were casting a new TMNT, I'd let a woman read for a Turtle or Splinter or Rat King or f***ing Oroku Saki if she came in for an audition. And if she were better than any of the guys, naturally she'd get the role.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
I Married a Duck!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
|
Well, if a man can voice a "female" character.... Cam Clarke was phenomenal in Robotech: New Generation as female singer "Yellow Dancer" (who was actually a guy named Lancer) and sounded convincing as a woman. Women voicing male characters isn't especially uncommon, especially in anime, but for Mikey, it just doesn't fit. His surfer/slacker vibe just doesn't work with a higher-pitched voice, he's too mellow and "chill" for it to work. (Greg Cipes in Nick notwithstanding.)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs" "Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491 My various stories and fan-fics are now here- https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Disgusting
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
|
Nah, I think it's fine the weird.
Last edited by snake; 08-09-2014 at 01:30 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 598
|
I don't see what the problem would be if they are best suited for the job.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
|
As for Krang, pretty much anyone can voice him because he lacks gonads!
![]() Then again, was Krang ever a "he" to begin with? |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
trash
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
|
I wouldn't have a problem with a woman VA doing the voices for any of the Turtles, personally.
__________________
![]() Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions). |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 769
|
I kind of don't care...though I do imagine him sounding like Jackson Jekyll (who is voiced by a woman) from Monster High and that kind of makes me chuckle
__________________
![]() My art is here!: http://suzukipot.deviantart.com/ And my fanfics are here!:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3865667/suzukipot |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
|
I never thought about it, but as long as he sounds like a guy, it wouldn't matter to me.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
|
I thought he is a teenager, not a kid with high voice.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
Rat-faced Dude-guy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
|
I'd really have to hear the performance. Like Ninji says my first thought is, "No." but you never know, there could be an actress out there that would make me seriously reconsider that assumption. Anyone have clips of a voice actress that they fell would be a good fit?
__________________
![]() "Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656 |
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
Disgusting
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#19 |
|
Foot Soldier
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 249
|
Greg cipes is pretty close. xD I mean, my friend thought Mikey WAS voiced by a girl when he started watching the 2012 series.
As for the question: I think he SHOULD be voiced by whoever can portray the character of that particular version, be it a man or a woman, as long as it can be a Mikey. I don't care.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#20 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
|
I don't think so....I think a dude doing Mikey's voice is best.
I'm okay when a women does a little boy's voice...but not for a teen. (unless it's anime...)
__________________
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| michelangelo, voice actors |
|
|