The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
How would your life be different if the TMNT had never been created?

This time I won't write a lengthy OP detailing my question, I will simply leave it for you to reply in any general manner you wish. This topic is sorta linked to my last thread about why the turtles are important to us, but this is more about what you'd have lost if they had never been created, or what other interests or influences may have taken their place.

Feel free to tell stories about how the turtles have helped you through difficult events in your life - people sometimes post those & they are always appreciated.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
As a kid from the mid 80's and early 90's, I probably would have been more of a Batman fan had TMNT never existed.

The 1989 Batman movie was huge, and given B:TAS came out not too long after, I probably would have gotten into the Batman comics and been posting on some Batman forum right now if that were the case. I love Batman but I never got into the comics since the series was always "secondary" to TMNT for me.

In the 90's I also briefly got into Power Rangers but dropped it, and then became a huge Pokemon fan towards the end of that decade. Although had TMNT never been around, Batman would have been my #1 fandom.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 2,008
I might not be drawing as much fanart from any cartoon or video game series as I do.
The TMNT craze 'sealed the deal' and now I draw lots of fanart to this day.
__________________
Quote:
“In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two are a law firm, and three or more are a congress.”

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As a kid from the mid 80's and early 90's, I probably would have been more of a Batman fan had TMNT never existed.

The 1989 Batman movie was huge, and given B:TAS came out not too long after, I probably would have gotten into the Batman comics and been posting on some Batman forum right now if that were the case. I love Batman but I never got into the comics since the series was always "secondary" to TMNT for me.

In the 90's I also briefly got into Power Rangers but dropped it, and then became a huge Pokemon fan towards the end of that decade. Although had TMNT never been around, Batman would have been my #1 fandom.
Yes, I thought you might say that. It's clear that Batman has had a big effect on you. I would certainly recommend you taking some time to read some Batman novels, as I think you'd enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I might not be drawing as much fanart as I do.
The TMNT craze 'sealed the deal' and now I draw lots of fanart to this day.
I get ya. In a sense the aesthetically pleasing nature of the TMNT and their distinctive look has inculcated a permanent love of art and drawing in you. It's fantastic that the franchise has influenced you in such a manner. And, by the same token, you will probably influence younger people who you know. That's what life seems to be - a domino effect of imparted knowledge and a hotbed of ideas.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
I'd probably not have my career if it weren't for TMNT, because they are what got me started with drawing in the first place, back when I was 9 or so. I used to fill entire sketchbooks with drawings of them.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
I'd probably be a lot more obsessed with sports.

I probably wouldn't have done as good as I did in high school. The red sky episodes from the mid 90's were a big part of my life and high school years. The turtles helped me learn teamwork.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I'd probably not have my career if it weren't for TMNT, because they are what got me started with drawing in the first place, back when I was 9 or so. I used to fill entire sketchbooks with drawings of them.
Similar situation to Dark Fell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
I'd probably be a lot more obsessed with sports.

I probably wouldn't have done as good as I did in high school. The red sky episodes from the mid 90's were a big part of my life and high school years. The turtles helped me learn teamwork.
Yes, sports would have filled that gap for you. And interesting point that the turtles helped to teach you teamwork, that's something which many may overlook about the boys.

Going offline now but hopefully the thread develops further while I'm gone.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior
 
Mona_Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 516
when I was a kid I was dreadfully sick all the time, I was the gross kid who was hardly ever at school but when she was... she was vomiting anywhere and everywhere. Very gross, So the ninja turtles were the closest tings to "friends" I had until the doctors figured out what was wrong with me. (very enlarged tonsils and adenoids) but by that point I was totally obsessed and never quit loving the turtles

I guess idk what I would have done without them. I'm sure I would have managed though.
__________________
Mona_Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
I suppose it would be hard to miss what you never had. As a depressed young teen I suppose I wouldn't have had my TMNT escape. Without them, would something else have taken that position? I imagine probably, though there wasn't much else around at the time I was into nearly as much.

When I was made to give them up, I still thrived. But there wasn't really anything else I was ever into quit to the same degree.

In hindsight though I think the biggest loss after giving them up, and had they not existed, is losing one who's very much a fictional kindred spirit. No life is complete without finding one of those, I don't care how corny that might sound to some. And while I've kind of liked other characters in various media over the years, in hindsight I can see that only Mr. Leo has ever held that title, even before I knew there was one.

Without TMNT existing I suppose maybe no one would fill that role. I'm sure I'd still be ok, as I said... hard to miss what you never had. But life would be lesser without. As well as being a role model for aspects I wish I could improve on.

Kinda sad I'd put TMNT aside for so long, but the feeling of having regained something important is pretty damn good.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
blindturtle02
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 2,627
Wow, no Turtles? Like Cubed, I probably would have had a tun of money to buy more Batman animated series toys with. Although I did have a very big Batman TAS fig and vehicle collection. I guess I would have also bought a tun of the 90's G.I. Jo vehicles. All my parents' money went towards TMNT and Power Rangers stuff, mostly. If I had never gotten into Turtles, I wonder if I would have gotten to know some of my best friends from grade school. I wonder if that bond would have been as strong.

We all hung out in this massive group of twenty-five to thirty-five or so boys and girls. Turtles brought us together every morning before school started. We'd seen the movies and the show, and I remember everyone talking about how close they were as a family. We all strove to imitate that. We'd invite kids who were sitting by themselves to play. That group tried including everybody. I moved to Arkansas in third grade, so I have no idea how long this fellowship lasted after I left, but I'll always cherish these memories. I'd get there at 7 or so because we could play for about an hour before class started if we got there early enough.

They made me come up with stories to play out. I remember that distinctly. Sort of like a short primer to start off the morning. "MACC is back, and Baxter Fly wants to capture him so he can build some kind of turtle crushing vehicle with his parts." Stuff like that. We gave everybody else equal amounts of opertunities to come up with new story material. Some kids would laugh and refuse to play because a few in our group didn't necessarily look like they were all that well to do, according to one little killjoy. He also said that Turtles weren't for girls, which never failed to tick me off because they were the ones who came up with the best stories. And they seriously got into the character roles.

We'd have four different kids being the turtles each morning because I remember us wanting everyone to have a chance to play different characters. Yes, girls definitely got to play the roles of the turtles. Some wanted to come up with original female turtle characters, and we just rolled with it. Some kids would be part of Bebop and Rocksteady's old gang. Some wanted to be foot soldiers. One girl liked playing Irma so she could chase boys. The Mona Lisa episode was out by then, so some girl always wanted to be her. We had more than one girl Shredder. I remember this one girl who came up with the idea of a female Shredder and totally loving that bit. This was around 91, and I hadn't even heard of the comics in those days, so we all liked the female Shredder concept and thought it was original. I think she might have made one Shredder turn out to be Lotus. Been ages ago though, so I won't swear to it.

I highly doubt my early grade school years would have been nearly as magical and joyous without the Turtles. They taught all of us to see our peers as family. They also taught us that we all matter, and never mind how different we might look or what walks of life we come from. None of that stuff ever crossed my mind. Still doesn't. I hope the old gang never forgot this lesson. I know I never will.
__________________
Please don't remove my nice hat and wack me in the butt with it.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Thinking about it there were a lot of popular shows/kids cartoon out around the same time as TMNT, and had it never existed we already had lots of alternatives:

- Batman: TAS started in 1992

- Spiderman and X-men had cartoons in the 90's

- Power Rangers started in 1992

- Pokemon hit the U.S. by 1998


And most of us were already fans of these other series anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Mario and Nintendo in general would probably be my number one fandom. That's pretty much it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
I'd probably spend more time on Star Wars stuff.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
blindturtle02
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I'd probably spend more time on Star Wars stuff.
Yeah, when my stepdad sold all my Turtles stuff, my mom was actually the one who got me into Star Wars. She loved the movies long before I did. This was around 96 when the final season of the OT was airing. So my stepdad got even more pissed because she found more plastic for me to buy. Well, that's what he gets for selling my stuff. ha!
__________________
Please don't remove my nice hat and wack me in the butt with it.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Probably not by much. I'd still have Marvel and DC stuff to look at.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
We all hung out in this massive group of twenty-five to thirty-five or so boys and girls. Turtles brought us together every morning before school started. We'd seen the movies and the show, and I remember everyone talking about how close they were as a family. We all strove to imitate that. We'd invite kids who were sitting by themselves to play. That group tried including everybody.
That's so awesome... Kids can be such wicked little buggers sometimes, always nice to hear proof that there are sometimes still a few pockets of hope for humanity.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
I'm not sure. I got into the show because it was just coming on during the afternoons when I was coming home from school. It was right at the perfect moment when I had my snack, could relax a while before tackling on homework or playing with my friends. I would assume, if something else had come on it it's spot, maybe that would have been the thing I got into the most. Doubtful. Maybe I would have been a more hard core Star Wars freak. Or maybe X-Men.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I'd probably be doing a lot of Sonic and Tomb Raider stuff.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
That's some "It's a Wonderful Life" style questioning there, boy-o.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
I dunno... Transformers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- Spiderman and X-men had cartoons in the 90's
1994 and 1992 respectively I believe.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.