The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
Are the Turtles named improperly?

As we all know, the Tutles are named after renaissance artist. The question, I asked myself was: is there any link between the artist and the turtle, besides their names?

I've read some books about them, first of all te "Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects" from Giorgio Vasari, a contemporary and friend of Michelangelo Buanorotti.

And then I had this idea, that - the life and habit of the artist in mind - the turtles are perhaps named inproperly.

Please do not take this too serious! I just find, this is an interesting mindgame...

Let's see:

Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi aka Donatello was the oldest of the four, already dead before Michelangelo and Raphael were born. So he was kind of a leader figure in sculpting (together with his friend Brunelleschi). Because of this he was more conservative then the others.
Aren't you remembered on the turtle Leo?

Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci was the second oldest. He wasn't just an artist - he was an inventor, a technical genius.
Okay, that's totally Donnie for me!

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni was the third oldest. He was a very tempered man. There are a lot of stories, about his anger, and about to refusing to work. And he was a very introverted person too...
Isn't that Raph?

Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino was the youngest. Vasari says about him, that he was a very kind person, almost angelic. He was light-hearted and very friendly.
That fits for Mikey, doesn't it?

Okay... I mean, Splinter couldn't know how the turtles will be, after they grow up, but it's still bugging me.

What do you mean?
__________________

Last edited by Chabrendeki; 11-10-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I think there was a thread about this once before, but I don't remember how much buzz that got.

But, yeah. Totally, if the Turtles was named by the artists matching personality, this would have been more appropriate.

Like, the real Michelangelo was not a Party Dude he was a really angry grump.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Very interesting thread. I knew about the arists the boys were named after, but other than Leonardo da Vinci I knew nothing about their respective personalities. To be fair to Kevin and Peter I doubt they thought about it THAT deeply at the time. After all, the first issue was a parody and they weren't expecting it to last 30 weeks, never mind 30 years
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Ok, maybe it's a little mixed up if named after the painters, but at least no one own a name or sets the standard of behavior for it. And at least Mikey redeemed the name from his namesake. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 583
I have never thought of that before! So interesting!
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,266
Yeah, but is anyone named appropriately? We are named before our personalities or vocations are apparent, so our parents just pick one.

So logically, Splinter gave the turtles names before he knew who they were, and the same is probably true of Eastman and Laird.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,994
I only knew what Da Vinci's personality was like before click this thread.

I don't think it's much of a big deal, and I also doubt Laird and Eastman cared enough to do some research about it. After all, they didn't expect TMNT to go past the 1st issue, did they?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,474
"Yeah, all the good ones end in O!"

__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Yeah, but is anyone named appropriately? We are named before our personalities or vocations are apparent, so our parents just pick one.

So logically, Splinter gave the turtles names before he knew who they were, and the same is probably true of Eastman and Laird.
Yes, you're right. I had the same thought about Splinter, an I could imagine too, that the same is true of Eastman & Laird too.
__________________
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
"Yeah, all the good ones end in O!"

Like in Raffaello?

In the hungarian translations there is always the italian name used, so at us all turtle names end with "O"...
__________________
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior
 
DevilSpooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Portugal
Posts: 884
The most interesting thing in this is not that they where all named improperly, it's that somehow these 4 men had the same personality traits as 4 turtles that ended up being named after them.

Coincidence? Or was that the plan all along?

__________________
Life at best is bittersweet
DevilSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabrendeki View Post
Like in Raffaello?
Raph, I have decided your new nickname is now Ello. Go ahead and be mad at it, it's kinda cute when you're mad.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabrendeki View Post
As we all know, the Tutles are named after renaissance artist. The question, I asked myself was: is there any link between the artist and the turtle, besides their names?

I've read some books about them, first of all te "Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects" from Giorgio Vasari, a contemporary and friend of Michelangelo Buanorotti.

And then I had this idea, that - the life and habit of the artist in mind - the turtles are perhaps named inproperly.

Please do not take this too serious! I just find, this is an interesting mindgame...

Let's see:

Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi aka Donatello was the oldest of the four, already dead before Michelangelo and Raphael were born. So he was kind of a leader figure in sculpting (together with his friend Brunelleschi). Because of this he was more conservative then the others.
Aren't you remembered on the turtle Leo?

Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci was the second oldest. He wasn't just an artist - he was an inventor, a technical genius.
Okay, that's totally Donnie for me!

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni was the third oldest. He was a very tempered man. There are a lot of stories, about his anger, and about to refusing to work. And he was a very introverted person too...
Isn't that Raph?

Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino was the youngest. Vasari says about him, that he was a very kind person, almost angelic. He was light-hearted and very friendly.
That fits for Mikey, doesn't it?

Okay... I mean, Splinter couldn't know how the turtles will be, after they grow up, but it's still bugging me.

What do you mean?

Ah, I see you've done your homework. I will add to this and say that da Vinci did a painting in which he actually painted his, Raphael's, and Michelangelo's portraits into the painting as ancient Greek philosophers. (It's called "The School of Athens".) At the time he did that work, all three were alive and at the height of their popularity and talent. His own image is right in the center, as Plato, no less. (A bit of ego showing here, I think....) Raphael can be seen on the far right (I forget whom he is painted as) looking young and up-beat, speaking with a couple of others he is walking with. (He's the one with the light, curly hair.) Michelangelo is sitting alone next to a stone block on the left, looking rather morose. I believe he is depicting Socrates, but I could be mistaken.

Also, Michelangelo wrote poetry and was an architect as well as a painter and (primarily) a sculptor. He was also reputed to be gay, as was da Vinci. Just a few fun facts!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Maybe Splinter had been playing with names for them but none of them really fit. Or he had ideas for them duo to their behavior when they had just been baby turtles.

For example Leonardo means Lion Bold, or Strong like a Lion. So perhaps Splinter could see Leonardo as a lion hearted leader and gave him a name that reflected that.

Donatello and Brunelleschi were the fathers of the Renaissance. And of the Turtles Donatello has the most potential to not only create a world that could learn to accept them a people but other races as well. That was vaguely hinted at in Fast Forward.

Michelangelo being the party dude likes having a good time. He also likes to see the best in everything. When one of his brothers are down and upset he tries to cheer them up. And he is a real creative spirit so he's a reimagining of Michelangelo the artist.

So that left Raphael. Most of the people I've known with that name have had tempermental problems. And Raph sounds like Wrath.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quick, someone shop a pic with the Turtles wearing the respective colors as described!

Leo - purple
Mike - red
Raph - orange
Don - blue
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabrendeki View Post
As we all know, the Tutles are named after renaissance artist. The question, I asked myself was: is there any link between the artist and the turtle, besides their names?.......
THANK YOU!

This is one of those rare posts here, where someone actually adds something creative and interesting to the conversation.

Top marks for this post!

I like how you think!
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #17
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Ah, I see you've done your homework. I will add to this and say that da Vinci did a painting in which he actually painted his, Raphael's, and Michelangelo's portraits into the painting as ancient Greek philosophers. (It's called "The School of Athens".) At the time he did that work, all three were alive and at the height of their popularity and talent. His own image is right in the center, as Plato, no less. (A bit of ego showing here, I think....) Raphael can be seen on the far right (I forget whom he is painted as) looking young and up-beat, speaking with a couple of others he is walking with. (He's the one with the light, curly hair.) Michelangelo is sitting alone next to a stone block on the left, looking rather morose. I believe he is depicting Socrates, but I could be mistaken.

Also, Michelangelo wrote poetry and was an architect as well as a painter and (primarily) a sculptor. He was also reputed to be gay, as was da Vinci. Just a few fun facts!
Yes, I know this painting. It's one of my favourites! And Raphael did it...

Yes - Michelangelo and poetry - there we have a connection to the turtle! (I just don't wanted to mention this in my first post... because it's a contra-argument to me )
__________________

Last edited by Chabrendeki; 11-12-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #18
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
THANK YOU!

This is one of those rare posts here, where someone actually adds something creative and interesting to the conversation.

Top marks for this post!

I like how you think!
Thanks, that's really kind!
__________________
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabrendeki View Post
Yes, I know this painting. It's one of my favourites! And Raphael did it...

Yes - Michelangelo and poetry - there we have a connection to the turtle! (I just don't wanted to mention this in my first post... because it's a contra-argument to me )

It was Raphael? Oops. I could have sworn that was one of Leo's. My bad. Been a long time since I read up on Renaissance art. It's my favorite time period (sort of like Splinter, lol!) and I absolutely adore Michelangelo's sculptural work. David, of course, and the Pieta, but I'm also partial to his Moses and the figure of Night from the same tomb. His slaves (all three) are really amazing considering they were never finished. But I love his painting just as much, particularly the first three panels of the Sistine ceiling. Last Judgment is also incredible, is slightly disturbing.

Interestingly, much of da Vinci's inventing work was done at the behest of his patrons, who tended to want to use his ideas for war. Leonardo drew plans for the first tank, helicopter, and a crude form of diving bell, all of which were originally designed with warfare in mind. There's your connection to TMNT Leo!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Shred87
Hench Mutant
 
Shred87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 467
VEry interesting...thanks for starting this...look foward to reading everyones opinions
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.