The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
MathUser
Thug
 
MathUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 55
Who else is a fan of Next Mutation?

I started watching this on the Hub and when they cancelled it I started watching the rest of it on netflix. It's cool as a alternate continuation of TMNT3. So anyone else like the series?
MathUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
It's an odd thing that I've softened up to. It's pretty bad, but it's really enjoyable and the villains are sweet.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
As I usually say in these NM threads when they now and then pop up: The show has it's charm.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
The show is a mixed bag-

Good: live action turtles,new and interesting villain concepts and new storylines. (in concept, Dragon Lord, Bonesteel, Silver, and the rest are no cheesier or lamer than anything else, Mirage or otherwise)

Bad: cheesy sound effects, cheesy fights, low budget that made it power rangers bad, and Mary Sue fifth turtle that overpowered the original four in a few second off-screen fight, and defeated the shredder with a mind trick.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
I find it's hokeyness amusing. Kabillion via my 'on demand' with Comcast/Xfinity usually has some episodes available, so I'd been checking it out on there.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
it's decent. I wouldn't mind owning it on dvd. it's about the only thing i don't own TMNT related on dvd
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The show is a mixed bag-

Good: live action turtles,new and interesting villain concepts and new storylines. (in concept, Dragon Lord, Bonesteel, Silver, and the rest are no cheesier or lamer than anything else, Mirage or otherwise)

Bad: cheesy sound effects, cheesy fights, low budget that made it power rangers bad, and Mary Sue fifth turtle that overpowered the original four in a few second off-screen fight, and defeated the shredder with a mind trick.
I agree. I liked the show when I was 12 because I only saw the good points. I also liked that it was loosely based on the films. A few people at school liked the show and preferred it over the 1987 cartoon. I watched the first two episodes a year ago and I thought that the good was far outweighed by the bad. It is entertaining to watch at times, but it's not as good as I remembered it. The bad acting put me off watching another episode.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker! It might work.
*Donatello goes to the back of the Turtle Van*
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)

Last edited by Wesley; 12-18-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,162
I watched the first episode the other day and it was bad. The turtle voices were crap the costumes looked horrible shredder and the foot were goofs.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
It's easier to watch it now for me than it was back then. I was a Freshman in high school when that show came out. Me and all my buddies were SO pumped that TMNT was going to carry on in some fashion. Keep in mind, we hadn't had a movie for a couple years with none on the way, the cartoon was winding down, the Archie book was cancelled... Next Mutation, based on just still photos and descriptions, sounded pretty spiffy. We were all set to go.

...After the first episode, and ever since, I'm the only one of that particular group that still kept up with TMNT other than watching the first movie occasionally. My friends all decided, on that day, they were "too old for this sh*t," and never looked back. I mean, we used to make masks out of construction paper and run around the backyard acting out the movies and sh*t. It was important to us. Suddenly, TMNT was "corny". That stung. I've tried to get a couple of them back into it, and a few of them saw the new movie, but they all admit they don't much care anymore. They're still into other cartoons and comics and stuff, but they've never been able to shake off that sour taste from TNM.

So, I have a bit of a distaste for it in general. But watching it now, years later, many years removed from that heartbreak, it's much easier to just write it off as one of the goofier versions of TMNT and accept it for what it is and see the good in it. If it really had been the last TMNT project ever and we hadn't gotten so much good stuff since, I'd still be bitter, but it's much easier to swallow now. It has its moments. I picked it up as soon as it came out on DVD, mostly because my wife had never seen it. I can laugh at stuff now that, back then, just made me go, "Oh, man, so it's come to THIS."

It's definitely not really very good but it's gotten more hate than it deserves, I think. Especially Venus. Really bad execution, really unnecessary idea, BUT, I swear there's ways to make that idea work and they just picked the wrong one. There's a lot of that in TNM. Okay ideas they didn't have time, writers, or budget to properly execute. But they tried. I don't think they had enough to work with but they did okay with what they had, which honestly wasn't much.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Birdman37
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
By far the worst adaption of Turtles whether comics, live action, cartoon, tv, movie, etc.... Horrible, horrible show. I was a HUGE turtles fan growing up and even I quit watching after a few episodes as a kid. It was painful to try and sit through.
Birdman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
Love it

A big thing with the hate is it's the first very real change to the franchise. Excluding the jump from comics to the cartoon show which was drastic. But The Next Mutation went and did it's own thing. It's own villians and allies. A twist on the story but still keeping true to the movies. I loved it all. I don't understand why it's the general consensus that this was supposed to be some dark gritty show and that it sucks because it wasn't.

The villains were great, had some of the best archs within the franchise with unchain my heart. There's just so much good in this series. And it comes no where near the crap we got in the 2014 film and 2012 series!!!!
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathUser View Post
I started watching this on the Hub and when they cancelled it I started watching the rest of it on netflix. It's cool as a alternate continuation of TMNT3. So anyone else like the series?
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
A big thing with the hate is it's the first very real change to the franchise. Excluding the jump from comics to the cartoon show which was drastic. But The Next Mutation went and did it's own thing. It's own villians and allies. A twist on the story but still keeping true to the movies. I loved it all. I don't understand why it's the general consensus that this was supposed to be some dark gritty show and that it sucks because it wasn't.

The villains were great, had some of the best archs within the franchise with unchain my heart. There's just so much good in this series. And it comes no where near the crap we got in the 2014 film and 2012 series!!!!


there are no words
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
"Hello...? HELLO, there! Mr. Kettle! It's your old friend, Mr. Pot! I just called to say you're black!"
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's easier to watch it now for me than it was back then. I was a Freshman in high school when that show came out. Me and all my buddies were SO pumped that TMNT was going to carry on in some fashion. Keep in mind, we hadn't had a movie for a couple years with none on the way, the cartoon was winding down, the Archie book was cancelled... Next Mutation, based on just still photos and descriptions, sounded pretty spiffy. We were all set to go.

...After the first episode, and ever since, I'm the only one of that particular group that still kept up with TMNT other than watching the first movie occasionally. My friends all decided, on that day, they were "too old for this sh*t," and never looked back. I mean, we used to make masks out of construction paper and run around the backyard acting out the movies and sh*t. It was important to us. Suddenly, TMNT was "corny". That stung. I've tried to get a couple of them back into it, and a few of them saw the new movie, but they all admit they don't much care anymore. They're still into other cartoons and comics and stuff, but they've never been able to shake off that sour taste from TNM.

So, I have a bit of a distaste for it in general. But watching it now, years later, many years removed from that heartbreak, it's much easier to just write it off as one of the goofier versions of TMNT and accept it for what it is and see the good in it. If it really had been the last TMNT project ever and we hadn't gotten so much good stuff since, I'd still be bitter, but it's much easier to swallow now. It has its moments. I picked it up as soon as it came out on DVD, mostly because my wife had never seen it. I can laugh at stuff now that, back then, just made me go, "Oh, man, so it's come to THIS."

It's definitely not really very good but it's gotten more hate than it deserves, I think. Especially Venus. Really bad execution, really unnecessary idea, BUT, I swear there's ways to make that idea work and they just picked the wrong one. There's a lot of that in TNM. Okay ideas they didn't have time, writers, or budget to properly execute. But they tried. I don't think they had enough to work with but they did okay with what they had, which honestly wasn't much.
I wonder if people will view the new movie in the same light 15-20 years later
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Shadow's Sanctum
Posts: 3,007
I have seen it, but don't remember anything of it.

I might give it a go again sometime.
__________________
Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of Men?
The Shadow knows...
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #17
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Hello...? HELLO, there! Mr. Kettle! It's your old friend, Mr. Pot! I just called to say you're black!"
The lack of self-awareness in some folks really is staggering, isn't it?
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
"Self-Awareness"? What is that, some kind of Palsy?
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Just report & carry on.

Anyway, I absolutely love The Next Mutation. Contrary to popular belief, there are others like us.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
We are an exclusive crowd, Powder.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.