The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Shredder vs Splinter

Perhaps been done before, but we're doing it again.

Say which of the two masters you think is the better fighter in the following iterations. Even if one gets the best of the other (e.g. 1990 film) that doesn't necessarily mean you have to choose that person.

Show your working.

Mirage
OT
4kids
Nick
IDW
90 film
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
i think most versions, Shredder would win, either because Splinter is too old like in Mirage and the 1990 movie, doesn't cheat like in Fred Wolf or simply not skilled enough like in Platinum Dunes.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
i think most versions, Shredder would win, either because Splinter is too old like in Mirage and the 1990 movie, doesn't cheat like in Fred Wolf or simply not skilled enough like in Platinum Dunes.
Not to mention Splinter winning would defeat the purpose of having the Turtles as main characters.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Yeah, although Nicktoon and IDW seem to have them relatively on equal ground, where any could win in a fight. Nick Splinter did almost take out Shredder hadn't it been for Karai, and he got beaten severely up in the season 2 finale.

And 4Kids Splinter isn't a shabby fighter either, a bit too good in my opinion.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
dlariv
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Drummondville, QC
Posts: 20
All the way Shredder.
dlariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah, although Nicktoon and IDW seem to have them relatively on equal ground, where any could win in a fight. Nick Splinter did almost take out Shredder hadn't it been for Karai, and he got beaten severely up in the season 2 finale.

And 4Kids Splinter isn't a shabby fighter either, a bit too good in my opinion.
And let's not forget that it was Splinter who defeated Shredder in the first live action film. Hell, even Casey Jones did Shredder more damage than the Turtles did.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Splinter most times except Mirage (too old, which is why he sent the turtles) and the 90's movie in a straight up fight.

I kinda like Shredder being too awesome and too bad-ass that you need Splinter to take him down, either by himself or alongside the Turtles. The Turtles have tons of mutant henchmen and robots and what-have-you to deal with, but with Shredder, make way for Splinter to get some revenge.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
blindturtle02
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 2,627
oh man, I love them both. Shredder is such a bada$$ in all the animated series. I know they watered him down in the 87 show but I always loved seeing him and Splinter battling it out. I usually side with Splinter since he's the good guy, but can't help but be awed by Shredder. If I had to pick a favorite fight, it might have to be the one from the 2012 season 2 finale. Although I still hold the one from Shredder Is Splintered close to my heart since that was the first I ever witnessed.
__________________
Please don't remove my nice hat and wack me in the butt with it.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Most versions, I'd probably go with Splinter- 2K3 they seemed evenly matched, BUUUT- Splinter was a past Battle Nexus champion, which says a LOT about him in that version. Nick- Splinter again. He's just so bad-@$$, and the fact that he almost killed his own sons under the Rat King's influence, while Shredder had a much harder time with all of them. Mirage- Shredder- Splinter is too old by that time. Same with the original film. Bay's Splinter just doesn't have the experience, as good as he was. IDW could go either way, I think, though Splinter would probably have a bigger motivation.

Edit: Almost forgot the OT- I'd go with Splinter again here, as he was Saki's teacher. I doubt he taught him EVERYTHING he knew.... And he almost beat him ALONE several times.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 12-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
It seems like most of the time Shredder manages to beat Splinter only through some form of cheating.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Most versions, I'd probably go with Splinter- 2K3 they seemed evenly matched, BUUUT- Splinter was a past Battle Nexus champion, which says a LOT about him in that version. Nick- Splinter again. He's just so bad-@$$, and the fact that he almost killed his own sons under the Rat King's influence, while Shredder had a much harder time with all of them. Mirage- Shredder- Splinter is too old by that time. Same with the original film. Bay's Splinter just doesn't have the experience, as good as he was. IDW could go either way, I think, though Splinter would probably have a bigger motivation.

Edit: Almost forgot the OT- I'd go with Splinter again here, as he was Saki's teacher. I doubt he taught him EVERYTHING he knew.... And he almost beat him ALONE several times.
Though to be fair, BayShredder would have probably been beaten to hell and back without his armor. Sure he showed some martial art skill, but he was too afraid to actually fight man to man and had to hide behind his Iron Man suit.

Wasn't Shredder also Battle Nexus Champion? There was a statue of him before, though I wonder why he'd waste the time if it didn't further his own evil goals.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
No, that wasn't him, that was one of the Tribunal, IIRC. Yoshi was one, though. Shredder was never even hinted at having been one. The statue was one of the Tribunal members. (Not sure which one.)

Although I suppose it could have been the Tengu Shredder, but that seems unlikely, as he was dead for over a thousand years, and the Nexus tournament didn't seem to be that old.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Oisterboy
Foot Soldier
 
Oisterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CNY
Posts: 121
I feel like the only splinter I've ever felt had a chance was the 2014 movie splinter. They didn't make him frail and old which was cool, because a lot of times they make him into more of a liability than an asset. Which is a shame because he's such a cool zen dude.

Idw did a great job of making him seem awesome despite being old. He was beat to hell but never giving in and was gonna fight to his death. And he did a good job too.
__________________
Oisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Mirage=Shredder
OT=Splinter
IDW=Shredder
2k3=Too close to call
Nick= Splinter
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
I feel like the only splinter I've ever felt had a chance was the 2014 movie splinter. They didn't make him frail and old which was cool, because a lot of times they make him into more of a liability than an asset. Which is a shame because he's such a cool zen dude.

Idw did a great job of making him seem awesome despite being old. He was beat to hell but never giving in and was gonna fight to his death. And he did a good job too.

Are you kidding me? 2014 Splinter got his butt handed to him by Shred, and pretty quickly, too. More experience vs. self-taught will pretty much always win. IDW they were fairly well-matched, since both were raised in the Foot Clan and were the same rank. That said, OT Splinter was Shredder's TEACHER, and wasn't even that much older. Probably his "best" chance in any version. And the few times they ever fought in that one, Splinter seemed to come out of it on top. (Not to mention Saki had to get Yoshi/Splinter THROWN OUT of the Foot in order to take over. He obviously knew he couldn't best him in skill....)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.