The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
How do you pronounce "Rahzar?"

Is it RAY-Zar or RAZ-ar?

Sometimes the characters pronounce his name one way or the other. In the Nick episode "Vision Quest" Mikey said "Raz-ar" and so did April in one scene in TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze.

Yet other times characters call him, "RAY-zar" too.

What is the correct way?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
The 'h' makes me think RAZ-zar, but I personally have always gone with RAY-zar. It sounds better.

For the definitive answer you'd probably have to find whoever came up with the character and ask what the pronunciation is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist
 
Aaronardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 1,043
Same as above. It looks like RAZ-ar, but it sounds better imo like RAY-zar.
__________________
"Shredder, you gotta listen to reason!" - Leonardo
"Oh Turtles! Oh Turtles! Chew your gum properly."
"If I miss this week's Kirby, heads are gonna roll." - Raphael
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
I thought it was supposed to be "RAY-zar" because it sounds like a razor, you know, the device people shave their beards with?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Amaranthus
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: West-Flanders, Belgium
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I thought it was supposed to be "RAY-zar" because it sounds like a razor, you know, the device people shave their beards with?
I've been using razors the wrong way then.
Eh eh eh.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Rah-zar.

You know. Like it's spelt.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
If it's in English I pronounce his name as "Rah-zar".
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
The 'h' makes me think RAZ-zar, but I personally have always gone with RAY-zar. It sounds better.

For the definitive answer you'd probably have to find whoever came up with the character and ask what the pronunciation is.
I too always said Ray-zar. Now I sometimes say Rah-zar like in the Nick series. I prolly alternate between the two unconsciously.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,185
I like Rah-zar but I guess Ray-zar is ok. I guess it depends on the turtleverse we're talking about for the official name.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
It was originally Rah-zar in SotO, so I'd go with that.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Another vote for Rah-zar.

Likewise I assume 'razor' was prob the inspiration, but Rah-zar also takes less effort to pronounce, even if the difference is minor, so not surprised if it's common.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Rah-Zar. I like it better, but I've used RAY Zar before.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I say Rah-zar, like it was originally pronounced in SoTo, and again by Mike in the Nick show when he renamed Bradford.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
Azul35
Random Punk
 
Azul35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Caruaru, Pernambuco, Brazil
Posts: 15
I Pronounce it as Rah-Zar, like in the Second Movie.
I think it sounds menacing.
Azul35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #15
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Another one for the "Rah-zar" camp here - SoTO shaped my opinion of how it should be pronounced.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
I have always said RAY-zar....pretty sure thats what shredder says too when he "announces" them
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
I have always said RAY-zar....pretty sure thats what shredder says too when he "announces" them
Correctomundo. & I followed suit, 'cause he named the character (in canon, anyway).
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #18
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Actually, that's a good point. I guess it's like how everyone pronounces "Leia" differently in Star Wars: A New Hope.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul35 View Post
I Pronounce it as Rah-Zar, like in the Second Movie.
I think it sounds menacing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Another one for the "Rah-zar" camp here - SoTO shaped my opinion of how it should be pronounced.
But... they say Ray-zar in SotO...
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was only April who called him, "Raz-ar" in TMNT II, while everyone else called him, "RAY-zar."

I remember people saying April mispronounced his name.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tribal river language


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.