The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Meliwen
Foot Soldier
 
Meliwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 157
Foreshadowing In The Show

I read some theories people have posted and some thoughts people have had concerning what might possibly happen in the show. Quite a few of these look for potential foreshadowing happening now to justify it, which I do as well since it's fun. Some of them seem to be a bit far fetched, but quite a few seem to be possible, but that just got me to thinking: what is the current track record the show has of handling foreshadowing so far? Has it done a good job? Has it not done enough for your liking? Would you like to see more?

And I'll admit, I have been bummed out a bit recently when thinking of consistency in the show, and was wondering if this is handled better. I'm not saying I need a whole lot of foreshadowing, in fact I don't want too much either, but I do like it since I think really connects the show together. I'm wondering if the potential for foreshadowing I might be seeing could actually be real, or if everyone who's looking for some foreshadowing is just ultimately wasting their time based on the show's current track record in handling it so far.

I was trying to remember some foreshadowing that has already taken place, but I need to rewatch the series probably, since I'm not coming up with many examples. What I was looking for is a warning or hint taking place at least a couple of episodes before the event itself takes place, not for anything that takes place in the same episode, such as a bat flying in front of Kirby to foreshadow his mutation later in the same episode.

1. Karai is foreshadowed to be Miwa. Both by saying her name was Harmony and when the Hamato symbol is reflected on her in Karai's Vendetta, and we find out this is true five episodes later.

2. Irma was foreshadowed to be more than what she appears in A Chinatown Ghost Story, and we find out she's a Kraang two episodes later.

And that's all I have. Obviously I probably need to rewatch. Can anyone think of foreshadowing that has happened so far that I've missed?
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Almost all the humans who turned into mutants were foreshadowed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Meliwen
Foot Soldier
 
Meliwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 157
They were, but all that happened earlier in the same episode that they mutated, unless I'm forgetting some. I'm looking for an idea or plot point the writers had that they chose to tease well in advance, not something written in by the same writer in the same episode, because there's plenty of that in the show.
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
matteso586
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 712
Don't forget that there are rumors that Irma was just replaced with an imposter.

And the latest episode has some foreshadowing. I assume that it involves a doomsday event.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Meliwen
Foot Soldier
 
Meliwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 157
Comet could mean a lot of things, and a doomsday is certainly one exciting view on it. I think it's a reference to a place, personally.

Although I'm not quite sure if comet is technically foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is mostly given by the author to the reader or viewer to build anticipation. 'Comet', on the other hand, was given directly to Leo as a clue.
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
Luckyday
Mad Scientist
 
Luckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,292
Someone said that people with green eyes are often showed to not be who they said they are.

April's mom and Irma.
__________________
Quote:
It’s time we stop trying to be perfect and be who we really are.
We’re crazed, angry, sweaty animals!
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Recent episode-Donnie mentions twice that he has retromutagen almost completed. Shredder grabbing Donnie by the shoulder strap and saying "You mean nothing to me."

Foreshadowing that Shredder would learn Donatello is able to create retromutagen.


In Eyes of the Chimera Mikey suggest a giant balloon referencing the eventual appearance of the Turtle Blimp.


In follow the leader-Leonardo says "We need to find the mutagen before some random joe gets mutated." Shot focuses on Donatello as he says the words "Some random joe gets mutated."

Foreshadowing a good genes like event could happen later in series. Which is teased in Lonely mutation of Baxter Stockmen when Donnie leaps over the vat of mutagen.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Steranko had a life size rhino statue in his ware house, then in the most recent episode, he mutated into one. Spoiler that? I think it's safe

Aprils powers were foreshadowed in monkey brains, splinter sensed something about her
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
In Serpent Hunt, Mikey getting through and calming Karai and also in The Invasion when Mikey calms Raph down is foreshadowing because when the Dark Raph story happens I think Mikey will help snap Raph out of it.

I also think it be heavly foreshadowed in the Mondo Gecko episode as I think Mondo will be convinced that the turtles are the bad guys. Mikey (maybe put's himself at risk maybe even captured) knows theres good in him and will try to convince Mondo that turtles are the good guys.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
In Serpent Hunt, Mikey getting through and calming Karai and also in The Invasion when Mikey calms Raph down is foreshadowing because when the Dark Raph story happens I think Mikey will help snap Raph out of it.

I also think it be heavly foreshadowed in the Mondo Gecko episode as I think Mondo will be convinced that the turtles are the bad guys. Mikey (maybe put's himself at risk maybe even captured) knows theres good in him and will try to convince Mondo that turtles are the good guys.
That's not foreshadowing, that's a character trait.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Well someone mentioned "Chinatown Ghost Story" but another foreshadowing for Irma is when she mentioned about the gluten free pizza and how, in an earlier episode, two Kraang were talking and one was talking about how he's on a gluten free diet.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
At the end of Monkey Brains, when Donnie is celebrating getting to hang out with April, Raph is reading a comic that a picture of the Rat King's face o it showing what Dr. Falco will later become.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior
 
Gunpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliwen View Post
1. Karai is foreshadowed to be Miwa. Both by saying her name was Harmony and when the Hamato symbol is reflected on her in Karai's Vendetta, and we find out this is true five episodes later.
To add to this, Leo says "Sorry, sister." in Enemy of My Enemy when she asks for a truce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
At the end of Monkey Brains, when Donnie is celebrating getting to hang out with April, Raph is reading a comic that a picture of the Rat King's face o it showing what Dr. Falco will later become.
Wait, for real? That's awesome, never noticed that.
__________________
Jason Biggs was the best Leonardo.
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
In all honesty, to me, only minimal instances of foreshadowing feel intentional - Sterenko's rhino statue for example. Lots of others seem to be either a) accidental coincidence (such as the green eye theory); b) the source of an idea used later (such as Raph's dream beaver nightmare with the snake, which has similar imagery to that used in The Deadly Venom; or... Sorry.... c) fans reading more into something than was intended.

Sorry. This show is not badly written... It's just not written well enough to make intentional foreshadowing likely.

Some of the earlier episodes had more nuance, which I genuinely thought would include foreshadowing. For example, I thought that in the episode I Think His Name is Baxter Stockman, the shape of an Utrom / Kraang was superimposed over the shot when Baxter and the T pod "merged". I thought that was indicating something to follow, which never really came to fruition.

However, since Brandon Auman took the helm nuance has been all but lost - he seems to favour a punchier, more obvious style than some of his subtler predecessors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Someone said that people with green eyes are often showed to not be who they said they are.

April's mom and Irma.
If that's the case, Raphael is screwed.
__________________
2k3 Don: That's not a trans-dimensional portal stick. That's... a flashlight!
OT Don: It was a flashlight, but with a little rewiring and a lot more positive thinking, it'll soon be a trans-dimensional portal stick. Now hand me that hammer.
2k3 Don: This is a wrench.

Last edited by jenna; 07-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
matteso586
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 712
What about the missing poster on the milk carton in the episode "The Noxious Avenger".
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
You know, I don't recall how she came up with it, but victory_angel foreshadowed Leo and Donnie's rift in The Invasion.

I think that the show is hinting towards Raph being a main factor in Shredder's defeat along with Leo. I'll get into specifics later, but it started for me in The Gauntlet and Panic in the Sewers.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.