The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Amaranthus
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: West-Flanders, Belgium
Posts: 1,815
References/parodies in the Nick cartoon

This show is full of references and parodies. So why not make a thread about it, listing them?
I'll start with Mr. Yuck, if that counts.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
This show is full of references and parodies. So why not make a thread about it, listing them?
I'll start with Mr. Yuck, if that counts.
http://dlm13.meta.ua/pic/0/98/237/Ap8SqZwnhM.jpg
The Mr. Yuk has a moustache lol.
Ummm Pizza Face...too many to list.

Last edited by Jester; 03-15-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
I'm a big Masters of the Universe fan so I liked last week when they referenced it during the Crognard bit. There have been tons of references over the course of this show. Probably more than we could even list here because we've forgotten about them.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
There are just way too many that we'd need an episode guide like the one I helped create for the OT. Just hunt down the various episode discussions. Numerous old video games, comic books, cartoons, earlier TMNT franchises just to name a few. If anything I think this show has more references than any other series ever provided.

Just to share a few:

*Mousers Attack: The A-Team, Irma (before she was introduced as a human)
*It Came From The Depths: Twilight Zone (blinking eye in tunnel), Star Trek Trouble with Tribbles
*Mazes and Mutants: LOTR, The Hobbit, Pee Wee Herman, Mikey's ring resembling Princess Celesta.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
In Battle for New York, Slash shouts, "Mutanimals, hooo!" an obvious reference to Thundercats.

He-Man reference in Crognard when Crognard cries out, "I have the energy!"
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
There are just way too many that we'd need an episode guide like the one I helped create for the OT. Just hunt down the various episode discussions. Numerous old video games, comic books, cartoons, earlier TMNT franchises just to name a few. If anything I think this show has more references than any other series ever provided.

Just to share a few:

*Mousers Attack: The A-Team, Irma (before she was introduced as a human)
*It Came From The Depths: Twilight Zone (blinking eye in tunnel), Star Trek Trouble with Tribbles
*Mazes and Mutants: LOTR, The Hobbit, Pee Wee Herman, Mikey's ring resembling Princess Celesta.
A lot of people think the blinking eye is a nod to Kubrick's 2001. When I first saw it I actually thought it was a nod to the original Technodrome.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior
 
drag0nfeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 623
I found a lot of the parts in Mazes and Mutants to be more of a nod to the old video game Dragon's Lair.

All their belts are nods to the old 90's movie adaptations, but that's pretty well known.

Still related to TMNT, but a weird nod I picked up was when playing Out of the Shadows, Donatello randomly remarks he had a weird dream and Donatello's voice was coming out of Raph's mouth, which is a joke since the voice actor from the nick series originally voiced Raph in the original cartoon.

I always catch weird things like that and the more obvious ones elude me sometimes.

Eastman on Casey's hockey stick is a pretty blatant nod too... I also love that he voices Ice Cream Kitty ^_^
__________________

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 715
In the episode Of Rat and Men, there's a shot of people running out of the theater. The movie title was Food of the Vermin. There's a movie call Food of the Gods about giant mutant rats.

__________________


First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist
 
Cryomancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
This entire season has been pretty much wall to wall horror movie references.
__________________

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
The Mr. Yuk has a moustache lol.
Ummm Pizza Face...too many to list.
Do you intentionally un-spoiler every single pic you quote? Stop doing that.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
This entire season has been pretty much wall to wall horror movie references.
Yeah the first couple of episodes upstate were really loaded with horror homages.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #12
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 715
Oh, and the way the owl/bird guy from Maze and Mutants is a tribute to David Bowie's character in Labyrinth. It's the way he plays with the crystal ball in his hand.
__________________


First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist
 
PangolinFeets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
I liked the subtle Warriors reference from the Bebop and Rocksteady episode when they're on Coney Island. ("Turtles! Come out to plaaaaay!")
That was just one recent one I giggled at.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior
 
drag0nfeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
I liked the subtle Warriors reference from the Bebop and Rocksteady episode when they're on Coney Island. ("Turtles! Come out to plaaaaay!")
That was just one recent one I giggled at.
I knew that was from something! It was driving me nuts! Thank you!
__________________

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Yeah, I liked that Warriors reference too, though the only reason I know of it is because of the Warriors video game they made.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Does the water tower count as a nod to Animaniacs? ^^
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #17
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Nah, those are NY staples. There's definitely room for a nod like that though, now that you mention it. But given that series is ahead of the crew's time, I doubt they'd do something like that.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Nah, those are NY staples. There's definitely room for a nod like that though, now that you mention it. But given that series is ahead of the crew's time, I doubt they'd do something like that.
It doesn't need to be ahead of the crew's time if one of the VAs was part of that show, that was what made it funny to me.

Rob Paulsen kept leading them back to the water tower.

What's next, Donnie's so smart, he can name all the Nations of the World.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #19
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
It doesn't need to be ahead of the crew's time if one of the VAs was part of that show, that was what made it funny to me.

Rob Paulsen kept leading them back to the water tower.

What's next, Donnie's so smart, he can name all the Nations of the World.
That's how I was viewing it. Rob. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #20
Nasubionna
Foot Soldier
 
Nasubionna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: western Washington state
Posts: 175
There are two moments I can think of off the top of my head where they parody the old Kool-Aid commercials, where the Kool-Aid Man bursts through a wall and goes "OH YEAH!" Both Baxter Stockman (when he's wearing the tPod-enhanced battle armor in "I Think His Name Is Baxter Stockman") and Dogpound (I can't remember which episode) bust through a wall and go "OH YEAH!" It immediately brought the Kool Aid commercials to my mind and I had a good laugh.
Nasubionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.