The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should I open April or leave her MOC?
Yes, rip her open! 12 54.55%
No, leave her MOC! 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Aaron
Hench Mutant
 
Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 357
To Open Or Not To Open?

I have a MOC 1988 April with blue stripe. The package is in fair condition but does have ware. The figure has a few splotches from age. I am debating on opening her. What do you think should I do?
__________________
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki"
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
cqb101
Cinephile
 
cqb101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 8,489
MOC....If it was me anyways....I leave all of my Vintage figs MOC and open all of my new/movie star/ TNM figs.....
__________________
cqb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
Aaron
Hench Mutant
 
Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 357
Yeah but I'm a loose collector. On one hand, it would be a shame to open it since it has remained MOC so long, but on the other hand, it is so tempting to rip it open and display it with my other vintage TMNT figs.
__________________
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki"
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
Play with it? Ohh kay.

But, anyways.

Usually when I buy something, I'll open it. But to keep it for so long and then open it? You'd regret it later on.
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
Aaron
Hench Mutant
 
Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 357
I just bought it off of e-bay about a month and a half ago.
__________________
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki"
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:19 PM   #6
evil_henchmen
Hench Mutant
 
evil_henchmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 282
Well i am a MOC collector only so you know where my vote is going.
evil_henchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
If y'ask me, it's unnatural to leave toys in their packaging. They're made to play with (or at least pose and display), and that's exactly what I do with 'em.

If you're got urges to open 'er, just think about how you'd rather have your figures for: $$$ collectors' purposes, or to get your hands on and enjoy 'em?

But to each their own, of course.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
evil_henchmen
Hench Mutant
 
evil_henchmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 282
With vintage figures i would always say leave it MOC because it is 15 years old and once it's opened that is just one more MOC vintage April that cannot be replaced.
The gentleman below me brought up a good point which i should have added to my previous message. It's your figure so do what you want with it.
evil_henchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #9
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
Open the damn thing
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry_Katz
If y'ask me, it's unnatural to leave toys in their packaging. They're made to play with (or at least pose and display), and that's exactly what I do with 'em.
I heard that Kevin Eastman feels the same way about them. he'd rather we enjoy these items instead of leave them stored somewhere just so they can remain in mint condition.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 AM   #11
Donatello007
Stone Warrior
 
Donatello007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Putnam, CT
Posts: 532
RIP IT OPEN!!!!!
__________________

myspace
Donatello007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
TheCloneRanger
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 356
I went on a spree a few months ago and bought a bunch of fairly-MOC Turtle figures, and opened every single one of them as I got them home. Took me back on a great nostalgia trip to the early 90's.

OPEN HER UP!

OK, that sounds really bad, doesn't it?
__________________
~Larry
TheCloneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #13
Billy the Kid
Foot Soldier
 
Billy the Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Mexico USA
Posts: 191
NO!!! NO!!! KEEP IT CARDED!!!

Unless the card is totally trashed, I just don't believe in opening any vintage figures. If you want one loose, get it on Ebay or advertise for one in the buying, selling, trading section.
__________________
I'm not an outlaw - I'm just misunderstood!!!
Vive l' Empereur!!!
Billy the Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
EZweasel
Stone Warrior
 
EZweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 847
live it carded . its old and its been in the package so long. no need to change that...
__________________
EZweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #15
Aaron
Hench Mutant
 
Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 357
I have made my decision (although I doubt many of you really care). I will (drumroll)...leave it MOC. It is just to old to open.
__________________
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki"
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:56 AM   #16
Billy the Kid
Foot Soldier
 
Billy the Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Mexico USA
Posts: 191
You've made the right decision Aaron!!! Another victory for us vintage snobs!
__________________
I'm not an outlaw - I'm just misunderstood!!!
Vive l' Empereur!!!
Billy the Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:40 AM   #17
Lanagirl
Hench Mutant
 
Lanagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Friends are not sent here
Posts: 346
Life is so short... Who cares that it's old...
If I were you I would open it and enjoy April.
I have bought SOOOOOOO KOOL NINJA ACTION FIGURE in Paris.
I didn't want to open him. But then I thought... What am I doing? It's my toy, and it is waiting when I'll start playing with it.
I opened my ninja very careful and I do not regret.
It's not right to leave it packed... It is made for you.
Play with it, life is so short.
Who knows what will happen tomorrow...
Toys, all things stay here, on the Earth, but people are gone.
Let's value our lives, let's play the toys and be happy
__________________
DEATH IN DAYS PAST
FORGIVEN BY THE GREATEST EVIL
TOUCHED ONE HEART
AND THROUGH BORN LOVE
Lanagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:58 AM   #18
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches
 
That Matt Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 5,840
Well if everybody did that, then there would be none to open up.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:34 AM   #19
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Hey when I got my vintage 1988 Shredder figure in the mail, I went right ahead and opened him up. That figure waited 15 years to join the ranks of my other favorite TMNT action figures!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #20
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
I think since it's so easy nowadays to find both moc and loose figures it would be a waste to ruin perfeectly good cardart. If you really wanna pose your turtle, which is understandable, just go get a loose one and keep that baby on card. My personal collection has both on card and loose. Im also one of those collectors who gets two of every figure- one to keep on card and one to open. Just a thought...
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.